LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake job -- Rotors/pads 94-LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 10:34 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Brake job -- Rotors/pads 94-LS400

Hey guys,

I know this has been brought up in the past for sure.. but I think it is simple enough to answer.

I need brakes on my 1994 LS400 -- They sound warped, they have sounded warped (or felt warped rather) for quite a while.. which leads me to believe there is a high probability that the rotors might not be in spec to be turned.

At any rate:

If I wanted to put 4 new rotors on and pads (buying the parts online myself) what kind of damage am I looking at? -- I would like to get some rotors and pads that work with the ideal of being incredibly hard to warp in the future. Not sure if that is possible, but I would much rather change some pads .. as I'm sure most of you would.

I'm looking to not spend a fortune here but new you guys would be the best at telling me what exactly to buy to keep the rotors from warping so easily in the future. (These cars aren't light.. so I'm sure it is extremely common).

Also.. I am healing from an injury and cannot really physically do the job myself, so is it 'odd' or hard to find a place that would take your own parts and charge you for labor?

If I were to grab my own rotors , pads, and they charged labor what kind of price range are we looking at?

Lastly, if I just take it in to any average shop what is a rough range for rotors and pads + labor (their own stuff) ?

Nothing needs to be exact, just ballpark will work.

I appreciate your time, really.

Thanks
Old 03-01-11, 11:57 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

www.r1concepts.com

get some standard Blank rotors and some good pads (i like axxis deluxe) and you're set.

as for labor, look in the regional forum, shouldn't be too bad, but prollly at least 100-150 in labor at least.

though unless they're damaged/too thin, you could just have your current rotors turned and then throw the pads in as they stop a fair bit better than the OEM ones do.
Old 03-02-11, 03:08 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
www.r1concepts.com

get some standard Blank rotors and some good pads (i like axxis deluxe) and you're set.

as for labor, look in the regional forum, shouldn't be too bad, but prollly at least 100-150 in labor at least.

though unless they're damaged/too thin, you could just have your current rotors turned and then throw the pads in as they stop a fair bit better than the OEM ones do.
Thanks.

Not so much worried with how fast it stops... I'm pretty light on my brakes anyway (a habit I picked up from all my years of driving a 5 speed..) I simply don't want to feel the 'wobble/warp' a few months after having a brake job. I've seen it so often with heavier cars..

The main thing is the brakes need to be done,.. but while I'm at it I might as well use some optimal parts (that are probably cheaper anyway) to prevent warping (or easy warping).

If the items you recommended fit the bill great..

Think most chains (if I happen to bring it to some chain) will use parts the individual brings in? Or be a little **** about it. Only reason I would go in a chain is for convenience and timeliness -- I guess I equate the smaller shops with not being able to do something when you bring it in, and not being very quick.. shrug. -- I just want to order the parts.. bring them to XYZ and have it done in a reasonable amount of time, same day.

I've done brakes before on a few cars.. even with a 2 ton jack and stands and a lug wrench it is fairly simple work. Give me a lift and an impact gun etc .. easy.
Old 03-02-11, 09:43 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I agree with PureDrifter. (That don't happen often) Your rotors could more than likely be machined smooth and save yourself some cash, unless that's not a big factor here. I'd go to an independant shop, not a chain. A chain wouldn't let you bring in your own parts, that's how they make most of thier money, over charging for parts. You say you want to find someone where you can just drive in and "get r done". You need to order parts so make an appointment now, you'll have time. Just a thought but when I do brakes I usually get all new hardware, it's not that much more. If I was in your area I would do 'em for $100 so a good price from a shop would be about $150 for front and rear.
Old 03-02-11, 10:04 AM
romeo291
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a great technical article that can help you understand more about braking and what kind of pads and combination you need.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 03-03-11, 07:34 AM
winner155
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a local shop charged me $586 to put a new starter in my Suburban-Car died, I'm travelling , wife needed car and it was sitting in local shopping center ( I can buy the part for $100 and it takes all of 15 minutes to install), I started asking around and I happpened to ask the limo company I use to take me to the airport who they use for thier cars. they recommended Julio, who is a full time mechanic for a big tranmission repair place who does work on the side, and so I gave him a call. He just replaced the timimg belt and water pump along with a full tune up for $400 in labor. I bought and gave him the parts. He has turned out to be phenomenal so I would ask your local limo company who they use. They drive a lot of miles, in good cars and the good ones really care about not getting broken down on the highway so they tend to use solid mechanics and are also cost concious. Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-11, 11:54 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't made any purchases yet. I even asked "Express Oil Change" -- just while I was in the area not because I intend on using them... I asked them what their break job was with resurfacing . They quoted about 179$ per axle.. I thought that pretty reasonable. I then asked if I brought my own rotors and pads would they do it for just labor? The guy said yes but there would be no warranty.

Which I am not worried about of course.

The more I think of it and read -- is this out of line?

1) It is most likely my front rotors that are warped, and most likely the only rotors that will warp ever?

2) Given 1.. I might be most cost effective in buying just new front rotors and letting 'whoever/wherever' put their own pads on and resurface the rear if needed but it generally doesn't need it due to the front doing most of the heavy breaking.?

If that is the case, I would get some brembos and make it a little less complicated for everyone around. That would basically just serve the place of resurfacing whatever rotors are on their now.. which I anticipate aren't exactly even close to new.

I am have no idea if the rotors are in spec or have been resurfaced.

Then of course I have just thought of letting them do their standard job for their own price and take my chances.. I just don't want warped front rotors 6 months down the road.

If I'm going to get the front rotors aftermarket, should I go ahead and grab some rears for any specific reasons you can think of? And should I grab the recommended pads for the aftermarket rotors, or let whomever is going to do it put their own on?

Thanks.. sorry to rehash just a few thoughts on it.

As far as I can tell the break sensor light has not come on. (Once it comes on it stays on as far as I understand it.)
Old 03-22-11, 01:00 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got slotted rotors from R1 Concepts up front, paired with EBC RedStuff pads. A buddy put the pads on a couple years ago for free, the rotors were installed by a shop I always go to for less than $50 (would have done them myself, but there were some complications which prevented that).

I've just got NAPA pads/blanks on the rear, but all seems well.
Old 03-24-11, 12:25 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting article.. I guess what I'll take from it, in my case, is to break in my pads/rotors right away to , perhaps, prevent some of the cementing process from going on etc.

As for parts --

I notice the web site has some brembo blanks for $220 for front.

Then it has crossed drilled or slotted (both are similar price) for a little over $100. Of course this is R1 Concepts brand.

Is the R1 Concepts slotted or crossed drilled any good? Would it be improvement over stock on warping and so on?

If so, I could grab front and rear rotors for slightly over $200.

Also pads -- they list many ranging in price, but to be honest I don't know a brake pad from another. If any of you do.. could you tell me which pads would be best in my quest not for 'performance' but for lack of warping the rotors?

And if they are all about the same,.. should I grab some of the less expensive?

I am about to buy , and over $200 is free shipping is why I ask these specific questions.

I figure it I can get rotors and pads for $300.. which is about right on that site.. then 100-150$ for labor should be plenty.. Don't you think?

Lastly, sorry for all the questions, but should I bother with getting any of the brake "hardware" for front or back? Or will the shop handle all of that?

Thanks,
Old 03-25-11, 02:49 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a good deal on rotors and posiquiet ceramic pads from R1 concepts through their ebay store for my 99 LS. Here is a link. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Front...Q5fAccessories