LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

spark plug wire

Old 02-23-11, 05:10 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spark plug wire

I made post a while back about my car not going over 1700rpms . I change my coolant sensor and i saw one of my spark plug wire cut, could that make the car do that? Cause i was thinking the ecu till i saw that.
Old 02-23-11, 05:31 PM
Jin3198
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it can totally, I had the coil wire pinched and was arching. Made my car run horrible and my cats where red hot.
Old 02-23-11, 09:26 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

It the wire from the coil to da d cap
Old 02-24-11, 12:12 AM
Jin3198
Driver

ya, it was the wire from the coil to the cap. Mine was pinched by the spark plug cover and over time it started arching.

I replaced the wire set with a new oem set and everything was back to normal. I also did spark plugs while I was at it, since I was already there.
Old 02-25-11, 02:12 PM
blunden
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my spark plug wires a while back and after that my car ran terribly, hesitating, catalytic converter got super hot. So I thought I must have hooked something up wrong, took off the timing belt cover, and it ran fine. Put the cover on again and same problem returned. I figured it might be a loose wire connection to my coil, but that didn't help. So I have been driving with no timing belt cover on driver's side for the last 6 months. I'm relieved to read that Jin had the same problem and I'm NOT going crazy. Will check for arching.
Old 02-25-11, 07:58 PM
Jin3198
Driver

Originally Posted by blunden
I replaced my spark plug wires a while back and after that my car ran terribly, hesitating, catalytic converter got super hot. So I thought I must have hooked something up wrong, took off the timing belt cover, and it ran fine. Put the cover on again and same problem returned. I figured it might be a loose wire connection to my coil, but that didn't help. So I have been driving with no timing belt cover on driver's side for the last 6 months. I'm relieved to read that Jin had the same problem and I'm NOT going crazy. Will check for arching.
I bet it was the same coil wire that was pinched on my car. It was the driver side cover for me. When it was bolted down, the arching would happen. What you have to notice is that the coil wire on the driver side has to slide into this slot on the cover. If you dont, it gets pinched when you bolt it down.

When I had it apart, it totally made sense. Also, if you notice a loud ticking sound from that side of the engine bay when the cover is on, it is most likely arching.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-11, 02:57 AM
Imperium11
Driver

Originally Posted by Dtwillis5
It the wire from the coil to da d cap
please use somewhat proper english, we dont expect you to be an english major , but this isnt AIM and i assume your not 12
Old 02-26-11, 11:59 AM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default for non- texters

Originally Posted by Imperium11
please use somewhat proper english, we dont expect you to be an english major , but this isnt AIM and i assume your not 12
Its the spark plug wire thats going from the coil to the distributor cap. Or u like 40 or sumthin?
Old 02-26-11, 01:21 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Its the spark plug wire thats going from the coil to the distributor cap. Or u like 40 or sumthin?
Actually it's not a "spark plug" wire at all, it's the "coil" wire. Do you have something against us over 40somethings that don't speak that text language?
Anyway, alot of people have a problem with that coil wire b/c there's supposed to be a grommet in the timing belt cover to hold that coil wire so it doesn't get crushed or just touch the valve cover and burn.
Old 02-26-11, 01:49 PM
Imperium11
Driver

nope im 20 probably younger than you, its just nice when people are moderatly literate on forums of a more mature nature
Old 02-26-11, 03:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

plus the easier you make it for us to read, the more likely we are to actually help...

symptoms make sense, replace the wire set (may as well, otherwise will be tough to find just ONE wire) and go from there.
Old 02-26-11, 03:19 PM
sethjon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made post a while back about my car not going over 1700rpms . I change my coolant sensor and i saw one of my spark plug wire cut, could that make the car do that? Cause i was thinking the ecu till i saw that.
It sure could and you should also feel the car missing a lot. If the wire is cut badly enough it should run like crap.

Last edited by sethjon; 02-26-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-26-11, 03:25 PM
Imperium11
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
plus the easier you make it for us to read, the more likely we are to actually help...

symptoms make sense, replace the wire set (may as well, otherwise will be tough to find just ONE wire) and go from there.
you could go to a wrecker and get one for 5 bucks ish, i did that when one of my buddies shredded a plug wire on a 94 neon, it wasnt worth buying a new set
Old 02-27-11, 02:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Imperium11
you could go to a wrecker and get one for 5 bucks ish, i did that when one of my buddies shredded a plug wire on a 94 neon, it wasnt worth buying a new set
if you do this take a multimeter with you and make sure the "new" wire is within spec.
Old 02-27-11, 08:07 AM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default no problem

Originally Posted by deanshark
Actually it's not a "spark plug" wire at all, it's the "coil" wire. Do you have something against us over 40somethings that don't speak that text language?
Anyway, alot of people have a problem with that coil wire b/c there's supposed to be a grommet in the timing belt cover to hold that coil wire so it doesn't get crushed or just touch the valve cover and burn.
Could that keep my car from starting? Im going to put a new set of wires and plugs on it today

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spark plug wire