LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

what can make a ecm go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-11, 08:34 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what can make a ecm go bad?

I think somthing made my ecm go bad because it been replace before unless the one that was replace was bad .(it was a rebuilt ecm)
Old 02-21-11, 09:45 PM
BunthaKev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Age makes them go bad. Also the types of capaciters used. the gel goes dry in the capaciters and then no more worky. My older Bro is an Electrical engineer and went through my ECU and made it last longer. Also shorts and improper wiring will stress it out.
Old 02-22-11, 07:22 AM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad capacitors...read here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Cut and pasted from the link>>
In one case, the reason for the manufacture of faulty electrolytic capacitors was industrial espionage gone wrong: several Taiwanese electrolyte manufacturers began using a stolen formula that was incomplete, and lacked ingredients needed to produce a stable capacitor.[7]

When a faulty capacitor is charged, the water-based electrolyte becomes unstable and breaks down, producing hydrogen gas. Since these types of capacitors are sealed in an aluminium casing, the pressure builds up within the capacitor until either the flat metal top of the capacitor begins to bend, or the rubber sealing plug is pushed down. Eventually the pressure exceeds the strength of the metal casing and venting occurs, either by blowing out the rubber bottom of the capacitor, or bursting the scored metal vent on the top of the capacitor. When an electrolytic capacitor bursts, effects can range from a pop and a hissing noise to a small explosion. Venting is typically messy, and the corrosive electrolyte must be cleaned off the circuit board to prevent further damage.

Although the link above does not name any manufacturers by name, NICHICON of China is a manufacturer that has had problems. Unfortunatley they are used in our ECU's.

Search NICHICON of China
Old 02-22-11, 08:50 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

if we could get a wiring diagram for our ecu's, i could repair the original one that came in my car and swap it back in and then repair the one thats running it now. this one is bad as well since it is running the car rich as crap. reports a lean condition even when its actually rich. all o2 sensors are new, as is the engine coolant temp sensor etc...
Old 02-22-11, 11:58 AM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default shorten?

Originally Posted by BunthaKev
Age makes them go bad. Also the types of capaciters used. the gel goes dry in the capaciters and then no more worky. My older Bro is an Electrical engineer and went through my ECU and made it last longer. Also shorts and improper wiring will stress it out.
I think something shorten my ecm out because before I brought it the man I brought it from said he use to drive it everyday and all of something it didn't want to go over 1700 rpm it been replace before so it starting to make a little sense something draining the life of the weak capacitors. What type of capacitors your brother used? I know where I can get some capacitors from.
Old 02-22-11, 06:33 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default repair manual

Originally Posted by williamb82
if we could get a wiring diagram for our ecu's, i could repair the original one that came in my car and swap it back in and then repair the one thats running it now. this one is bad as well since it is running the car rich as crap. reports a lean condition even when its actually rich. all o2 sensors are new, as is the engine coolant temp sensor etc...
Do the repair manual have a wire d
Old 02-22-11, 06:34 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Default repair manual

Originally Posted by williamb82
Do the repair manual have a wire diagram? Because I have one
Old 02-23-11, 06:26 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

not for the ecu. all it has is a pinout for the ecu. that doesnt tell me what i need to know to repair it. alot of the caps are small, and not labeled at all. the wiring diagram would list the specs of the caps, so replacements could be ordered.