LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

temperture gauge and poor gas mileage

Old 02-11-11, 12:30 AM
miles56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temperture gauge and poor gas mileage

my 1992 ls400 temperture gauge stay on c(cold)all the time and heat blow warm not hot plus gas mileage is poor car some time seem slugglish or slow.
some times the temperture gauge goes up one mark from c(cold) and I get better heat.My gas mileage is low since this temperature problem any help i would be thankful!!
Old 02-11-11, 03:12 AM
trbo1stgen
Rookie

Have you tried replacing your temp sensor? That's where I would start.
Old 02-11-11, 05:54 AM
miles56
Driver School Candidate

Thank you will replace.
Old 02-11-11, 06:03 AM
NjRican
Driver

I just had the same problem. It was my thermostat.
Old 02-11-11, 08:49 AM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thermostat
Old 02-11-11, 12:44 PM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thermostat first.
Old 02-11-11, 10:54 PM
miles56
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Guys !!!
Old 02-12-11, 07:31 AM
zukikat
Rookie

A tired thermostat that's weak and opening early from the pressure of the water pump or one that's actually become stuck partially or fully open will never get the cooling system or the engine engine up to optimum operating temperature so the ECU, continually thinking the car hasn't warmed up yet, continues running the car in the warm-up procedure mode that it never succeeds at which is making the transmission wait longer to up-shift and/or delaying the torque converter lock-in at cruising speeds, revving the engine higher trying to warm it up which then results in reduced fuel economy and mediocre heat as it never succeeds in fully warming the engine due to the bad thermostat causing increased/undesireable constant coolant flow and unregulated coolant temperatures.

Fuel economy also seems to drop and rise seasonally with the "winter mix" and "summer mix" of fuels, dropping noticeably in the winter months in most vehicles, but that wouldn't account for your mediocre heat which a dying thermostat definitely would cause.

So yeah, replace your thermostat first!
And while you're at it, you might also consider doing a coolant flush and some of the other maintenance I'm suspecting your car probably needs if the thermostat is so tired your car can't ever fully warm up...

Good Luck!
Old 02-12-11, 09:48 AM
miles56
Driver School Candidate

My Freind Zukikat words can't say enough to thank you for your time and consideration.
Old 02-12-11, 11:15 AM
twofanman
Rookie

Originally Posted by zukikat
A tired thermostat that's weak and opening early from the pressure of the water pump or one that's actually become stuck partially or fully open will never get the cooling system or the engine engine up to optimum operating temperature so the ECU, continually thinking the car hasn't warmed up yet, continues running the car in the warm-up procedure mode that it never succeeds at which is making the transmission wait longer to up-shift and/or delaying the torque converter lock-in at cruising speeds, revving the engine higher trying to warm it up which then results in reduced fuel economy and mediocre heat as it never succeeds in fully warming the engine due to the bad thermostat causing increased/undesireable constant coolant flow and unregulated coolant temperatures.
^^^heck of a sentence
Old 02-12-11, 07:22 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

I can say it in one breath
Old 02-13-11, 09:30 PM
zukikat
Rookie

LOL! Yeah, sorry... OCD SUCKS!!!

But I hope the info proves helpful to at least one person with that problem.
Old 02-16-11, 12:59 PM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by miles56
my 1992 ls400 temperture gauge stay on c(cold)all the time and heat blow warm not hot plus gas mileage is poor car some time seem slugglish or slow.
some times the temperture gauge goes up one mark from c(cold) and I get better heat.My gas mileage is low since this temperature problem any help i would be thankful!!
Do the temp sensor and t-stat together. That should fix the problem.
Old 02-16-11, 01:04 PM
Jin3198
Driver

I had the same issue, and the thermostat was stuck open. I replaced the coolant temp sensor while I was in the area.

GL!
Old 04-20-11, 08:26 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by miles56
The most obvious is the tstat and easy to replace. But I think it might be your water temp sensor. If it is not working right it will tell the computer the engine is not warmed up no matter how far you drive. It will also give you low gas mileage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: temperture gauge and poor gas mileage