LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 06:59 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

mad old thread i know, but here's my video of the cold air intake mod that i just did

i did a comparison of the stock airbox and the modified one so you can easily hear the difference. great mod

Last edited by Stroock639; 03-10-14 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-19-14, 11:25 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

@Stroock good stuff, I'll finish off with a final cut like that one eventually.

I don't have access to a dremel or air saw so I drilled holes where the rectangular metal plate is. I think not enough, have to do most of the shroud tomorrow, is the headlight gasket/shroud easy to remove ?

Last edited by LSpho; 03-19-14 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 11:06 AM
sshhlexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this thread. I have a '93 LS400. I borrowed the pic and in the hi-lighted area, the seam between the plastic and the body, I have a gap about 1/2 inch, I think I maybe loosing some air flow. Anyone know if there is a way to close this area. I was thinking of using duct tape, but I would rather use a more permanent solution. My idea here is that the intake is getting less air caused by the resistance/drag of the gap. To close this gap, in theory would cause more air to get swallowed as a scooping effect would take place. This would be totally invisible unless someone open the hood. Any thoughts. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!-cai-20assembled.jpg  

Last edited by sshhlexus; 03-20-14 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-20-14, 11:13 AM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Duct tape may work for the long term since it won't be going anywhere. I need to check if my 98 has that gap hmm. Also I unbolted the headlight but I couldn't get it to budge or able to rip the headlight shroud out... I'm tempted to cut that portion out but decided against it and took my anger out by drilling more holes on the circle box lol...
Old 03-20-14, 11:37 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

here is another intake mod that is more reversible if you don't want to hack into your box.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ram-power.html

as for the gap, 1/2" isn't too big to cause concern. that top resonator part should be bolted down. is it? maybe your car was in a front end collision before?
Old 03-20-14, 12:16 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

^Hmm that seems interesting, I'm not sure if I want to drill into the OEM airbox cover to bolt it to radiator stay. I've already drilled holes into the circle box and I feel an increase in 1% to tq/hp and throttle response maybe 3% if I can remove that headlight shroud...
Old 03-20-14, 12:28 PM
sshhlexus
Rookie

No previous accidents. All is still OEM. Is the horizontal plastic piece called a "resonator"?. No. All is bolted down okay I also recently cleaned out the insides of the plastic intake tubes and then finished them with vynl protectant. Also lubricated the weather stripping around the plastic tubes with a bit of motor oil. It was really dry. This was to save them a bit. Also any increase in scoop will cause more crap and bugs to get trapped into the housing before the filter.

With all these intake performance mods wouldn't the MAF re-adjust itself to the increased air flow. That is the MAF would let in as much air as before. Not sure, just a thought.

Last edited by sshhlexus; 03-20-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 03:10 PM
sshhlexus
Rookie

Default Am I missing a piece of hardware?

I don't think I'm missing a piece of hardware in comparing with other photo's on the internet. My old camera is good for these pics.

....Also lubricated the weather stripping (or what is left of it) facing downward around the plastic tubes with a bit of motor oil....

On the top right is the plastic coolant bottle leaking on top from the sensor. I don't think it's a big deal. If it is important, the sensor looks like a cap but seems to be non-removable or I just don't what to break it before find more info on it.

I removed the non-functioning remote starter and forgot the sticker.

Thanks in advance.

'93 LS400
Attached Thumbnails Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!-gedc0972.jpg   Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!-gedc0976.jpg  

Last edited by sshhlexus; 03-20-14 at 03:19 PM. Reason: ... add more info
Old 03-20-14, 07:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you're not going to have any kind of ram-air effect anyways the air has far too many other places to go and that part of the hood isn't a high pressure zone anyways.
Old 03-20-14, 11:13 PM
LSpho
Pit Crew

Reporting back with the headlight seal off. I feel some difference on the butt dyno at mid range up when high throttle or wot. Intake sound increased a little but can't really tell with running a single 3" from the mid pipe back.

I will decide to either drill more holes later or just go with the whole cut out like jbrady and the others
Old 03-24-14, 09:06 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LSpho
@Stroock good stuff, I'll finish off with a final cut like that one eventually.

I don't have access to a dremel or air saw so I drilled holes where the rectangular metal plate is. I think not enough, have to do most of the shroud tomorrow, is the headlight gasket/shroud easy to remove ?
removing the seal requires removing the headlight, mine is a 1999 w HIDs and the headlights each have a separate control module on the bottom which kinda makes removing them a bit of a squeeze. once you have it out it's real easy to take out the seal. I also found a used spare part before attempting any cutting

Last edited by Stroock639; 03-24-14 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-24-14, 11:25 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by LSpho
Reporting back with the headlight seal off. I feel some difference on the butt dyno at mid range up when high throttle or wot. Intake sound increased a little but can't really tell with running a single 3" from the mid pipe back.

I will decide to either drill more holes later or just go with the whole cut out like jbrady and the others
keep in mind your car will learn your new driving habits. after having a new "performance" mod, most of us will be hitting the gas more often so the car will learn this new pattern and compensate. the car will feel fast but in reality it just compensated for your new driving habit. psychological effects of mods !
Old 03-24-14, 02:45 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
keep in mind your car will learn your new driving habits. after having a new "performance" mod, most of us will be hitting the gas more often so the car will learn this new pattern and compensate. the car will feel fast but in reality it just compensated for your new driving habit. psychological effects of mods !
not to mention the increased noise i really can't see this actually making any real performance gains, it's mainly just louder
Old 11-29-14, 10:22 PM
SocalBobby
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this mod yesterday and it makes a huge difference! It sounds great and I even got better gas mileage driving home from work on my 50 mile commute to work. I got about 2 mpg better.

I also did the muffler delete mod. Now I don't drive it like a grandpa anymore because want to here the engine now with the mods!
Old 11-30-14, 05:36 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalBobby
I did this mod yesterday and it makes a huge difference! It sounds great and I even got better gas mileage driving home from work on my 50 mile commute to work. I got about 2 mpg better.

I also did the muffler delete mod. Now I don't drive it like a grandpa anymore because want to here the engine now with the mods!
So, did you delete all 5 mufflers and end up with 2? What exhaust did you decide on?

Last edited by Hiroshi12; 12-01-14 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!