LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ECT replacement, go big or go home.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 09:21 PM
Raddison
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECT replacement, go big or go home.

Alright everyone, after struggling with poor gas mileage, sometimes as low at 15 mpg highway, I saw the threads about replacing it with fantastic results and the anxiety began to build. The mere thought of bringing my mileage per tank from ~300 to ~400+ made my heart race.

Having just opened a shop and being so heavily invested in it, money was short, but the second I could spare the money, I dove in.

Thinking, "Hey, a resistor is a resistor is a resistor.", I decided that going with the aftermarket part wouldn't be something I would regret...I was wrong.

After the relatively simple install, I was ecstatic, I couldn't wait to get 23+ mpg in a luxury sedan.

With my aforementioned financial issues I was constantly driving a quarter tank, making it hard to get a good estimate of my fuel consumption. Just about a week ago I finally filled up at ~3.40 a gallon, a good price that I was really excited to be using efficiently!

Now, a week later, I'm almost on e and im about 7 miles short of...300.

I'm not going to jump the gun and say that all the Duralast ECTs are trash. That would be a rash generalization. But I will say, that by my guess, My '90 LS didn't take to the part well.

Filled with disappointment, I filled my tank tonight. And now I'm making my plans to pick up the OEM one, I hope that the car gods allow me to purchase from the Toyota dealer without punishment. And I'm going to take another run at this.

/rant

Anyone else have any updates, good or bad?
Old 01-19-11, 12:44 AM
Do.Man
Pole Position

i did the same thing, changed it with an autozone one, and still not much difference in mpg..sucks..
Old 01-19-11, 01:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if you guys think it's just the sensor being of poor quality why dont you just test them....
Old 01-19-11, 02:03 AM
Raddison
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if you guys think it's just the sensor being of poor quality why dont you just test them....
I was planning on it once I picked up the OEM one
Old 01-19-11, 07:03 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible there was nothing wrong with the old one.
Old 01-19-11, 07:41 AM
etex
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed mine a few days ago on a 1998 LS, but haven't had it out for a drive since then. Waiting for sunshine while driving my truck. Replacement was OEM from Parts.com
Old 01-19-11, 09:42 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

just because this didnt fix your problem, doesnt mean the sensor is no good. lots of things can cause bad mileage, including the ecu. at this point, im thinking it is the used ecu i bought thats causing it. not that another used ecu would fix it. ill likely grab a megasquirt 2 just to control the injectors and splice it in to increase my mileage. should be simple enough. i wont even remove the stock injector clips. just unplug them and plug in the injector subharness, and tap into the stock tps, and engine temp sensors, run a vac line to the map, connect an air temp sensor in the stock intake pipe and connect a wideband o2 sensor for the initial tune, then switch it to use the stock narrow band setup. this will insure the trans still shifts like stock and i wont have to mess with the timing at all etc...
Old 01-19-11, 04:29 PM
Raddison
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williamb82
just because this didnt fix your problem, doesnt mean the sensor is no good. lots of things can cause bad mileage, including the ecu. at this point, im thinking it is the used ecu i bought thats causing it. not that another used ecu would fix it. ill likely grab a megasquirt 2 just to control the injectors and splice it in to increase my mileage. should be simple enough. i wont even remove the stock injector clips. just unplug them and plug in the injector subharness, and tap into the stock tps, and engine temp sensors, run a vac line to the map, connect an air temp sensor in the stock intake pipe and connect a wideband o2 sensor for the initial tune, then switch it to use the stock narrow band setup. this will insure the trans still shifts like stock and i wont have to mess with the timing at all etc...
Man, it sounds like you have quite the plan, I smell a tutoriaaaaal.

Just thinking about my ECU being trashed makes me cringe. While I was driving today I was thinking about seeing if it can be flashed or something. Or a piggyback exists. Blehhhh, hell, I've decided to dedicate myself to the pursuit of the 400 mile tank, no matter how large of a hole I dig, ha.