LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

The dreaded starter click

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 08:31 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded starter click

So today was first symptom of a bad starter. It was -19 celcius -2 farenheit and I got four or five clicks before it started. Now I know from other threads everything else should be checked first ie. battery and connections. But what if dome light & everything else are bright and battery never showed signs of problems to this point and once it did catch it whirled over with plenty of juice?

Safe to say the solonoid contacts are toast?

Those that have replaced/repaired starter in the past - how long can you "limp" along clicking like this before it never starts? Just wondering because I ordered plunger and "heavy duty" contacts kit from nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html and it'll be almost a couple weeks before we get a chance to replace. Thanks
Old 01-18-11, 08:55 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

if it was that cold. there could have been frost or something on the contacts. also, being that cold, the battery had ALOT less cranking amps then at normal temps.
Old 01-18-11, 09:10 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williamb82
if it was that cold. there could have been frost or something on the contacts. also, being that cold, the battery had ALOT less cranking amps then at normal temps.
hmmmmmm....interesting thanks, we'll see how things go as time goes by & the weather changes. Solonoid & contacts was only $60 shipped & taxed to Canada & will likley need at some point
Old 01-18-11, 10:18 AM
NTRUDA
Rookie

I agree..cold weather could've had some materials on the contacts but what I learned is that your battery is very important...it has to have alot of cold cranking amps...if possible check your battery to see if you have sufficient cca's because if not it puts a strain on your starter and alternator..in addition, I would check that as well just 2 be on the safe side...
Old 01-18-11, 10:22 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Has it done this in the past? It could be just a cold battery. If it does it again when it's that cold, try turning your headlights on for about 5 minutes, that warms the battery and it will start easier. The 1st time someone told me that I thought they were nuts, but it works.
Old 01-18-11, 10:29 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Interesting - well bought the car last spring so this is first cold winter so its never done this before but bought it damage-repaired and he just threw in a battery that worked when I bought it so have to check the cca's - anyone know the min requirement? Also, the alternator is used replacement and I also just had 2,000 watt stereo installed so all your advice is adding up to a potential cold/connectors/battery type issue thanks
Old 01-18-11, 10:50 AM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Originally Posted by StevieA
Interesting - well bought the car last spring so this is first cold winter so its never done this before but bought it damage-repaired and he just threw in a battery that worked when I bought it so have to check the cca's - anyone know the min requirement? Also, the alternator is used replacement and I also just had 2,000 watt stereo installed so all your advice is adding up to a potential cold/connectors/battery type issue thanks
I'm thinking that that minimum cca's is either 650/750...and if you are running a 2000 watt stereo, you definitely need a stronger battery and altenator IMHO....
Old 01-18-11, 11:12 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

if you are not running synthetic oil, consider doing so. mobil 1, at very cold temperatures, flows about like it does in july. this puts a LOT less strain on the car when starting cold.
Old 01-18-11, 11:19 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Default my battery

it's got 600cca's 70Ah
Old 01-18-11, 03:48 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what you mean by 4 or 5 clicks. Were the clicks in rapid succession with you holding the key in the start position? Or do you mean you had to rotate the key 4 or 5 times to the start position with a single click resulting each time?

If it is rapid succession with the key held, then your battery is most likely the culprit. If single clicks, then it is the starter solenoid.
Old 01-19-11, 05:25 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by randal
Not sure what you mean by 4 or 5 clicks. Were the clicks in rapid succession with you holding the key in the start position? Or do you mean you had to rotate the key 4 or 5 times to the start position with a single click resulting each time?

If it is rapid succession with the key held, then your battery is most likely the culprit. If single clicks, then it is the starter solenoid.
It's single clicks. Turn to acc......wait for about 5 seconds, turn to start, hear one single "click". Curse. Turn key back off. Turn ahead to acc, wait, turn to start hear one click. Curse more. Keep repeating until it catches. This time it whirled on fourth or fifth try.

This morning it was 2 ceclius, 36 farenheit started no problem.

Last edited by StevieA; 01-19-11 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-19-11, 06:09 AM
williamb82
Advanced

when it whirled, did it sound normal, or a lil slow
Old 01-19-11, 09:23 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

when it whirled, did it sound normal, or a lil slow
It whirled normal. And has since. That's why I was thinking the starter solonoid contacts were getting bad

For safety's sake however, I just ordered a 130Amp alternator since I calculated the requirements of my car and stereo on the existing 100amp used alternator and determined that with regular load coming from the regular LS electrical requirements and a regular usage of the stereo would equate to very limited reserve wattage available. With the 130Amp alternator I should have sufficient reserve like about 490 watts vs. 50.

Also scoping out fitting in a 875 cca battery

Last edited by StevieA; 01-19-11 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-19-11, 09:32 AM
williamb82
Advanced

100 amp? my 93 has a 120amp alt stock. the ls has 120amp, the sc has 100 amp.
Old 01-19-11, 09:40 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

100 amp? my 93 has a 120amp alt stock. the ls has 120amp, the sc has 100 amp.
Oh geez thanks come to think of it I may have been just guessing think someone told me its either 100 or 80 then I read the 95-97's were 80amp? anyway, thanks

EDIT - just spoke with Eagle Auto ELectric CA where I ordered my alternator he says my car came with 100amp ANyway, he says he tested the 130amp alt. I ordered this morning before shipping and it had an output of 147amps

Last edited by StevieA; 01-19-11 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: The dreaded starter click