LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Rod knock!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 02:25 PM
zinum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod knock!?

So i noticed a slight ticking noise on the driver side of my motor, could it be rod knock? Its a 92 ls400, if so should i just get a different motor or rebuild? Which would be cheaper/easier
Old 01-08-11, 02:38 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i highly doubt its a rod knocking
Old 01-08-11, 02:40 PM
zinum
Driver School Candidate

It escalates with rev? I am really hoping its not, My car has 400k and it runs really good. How can i tell if it is or not?
Old 01-08-11, 02:57 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

run it up to 6k rpm for a couple of minutes, and you will know... or you might seek professional help.. (smiles)
where in Texas are you?
Old 01-08-11, 03:01 PM
zinum
Driver School Candidate

Angleton, 40 mintues south of houston
Old 01-08-11, 04:32 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

take a spark plug wire off of the cylinder making the noise
Old 01-08-11, 04:34 PM
zinum
Driver School Candidate

I cant tell which one it is
Old 01-08-11, 04:40 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zinum
I cant tell which one it is
Does the "ticking" get more pronounced (louder) as the engine warms up?
A spun rod bearing is usually VERY noticeable. Like, 'shut it down now before she blows' noticeable.
The ticking is much more likely to be excessive valve clearance on the left side cam.

What weight oil are you using these days?

Last edited by randal; 01-08-11 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-08-11, 04:52 PM
zinum
Driver School Candidate

The engine was warm when i heard the ticking, as i rev it just escalates with the rev it doesnt seem like it gets louder, what would make the excessive valve clearence?
Old 01-08-11, 04:53 PM
zinum
Driver School Candidate

I dont know the weight off hand
Old 01-08-11, 05:53 PM
randal
Lead Lap

The engine was warm when i heard the ticking, as i rev it just escalates with the rev it doesnt seem like it gets louder, what would make the excessive valve clearence?
I have a 92 LS400 too and it does the valve clearance ticking. Gets worse when the engine is warm and the oil is thinned out. It is actually fairly common to this generation. The valve tappets need to be shimmed to get the proper clearance. I have not yet done this because it is a reasonable amount of work. At this point, it is more of an annoyance than detrimental to the engine.

Is this ticking sound why you are thinking of swapping the engine for a 95?
Old 01-08-11, 06:43 PM
zinum
Driver School Candidate

Yea, i found one fairly cheap so i was gonna change it out, idk what to do haha. So should the ticking escalate with the rev if its vavle clearence?
Old 01-08-11, 07:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol rod knock......

this isn't a 7m, without a blown HG, or some bad oil contamination you arent going to have rod knock issues....

95% sure its the standard valve tap you get from 20year old DOHC motor needing to be re-clearanced.
Old 01-09-11, 06:08 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Yea, i found one fairly cheap so i was gonna change it out, idk what to do haha. So should the ticking escalate with the rev if its vavle clearence?
zinum, what we are trying to say(I think) is that changing out a 92 for a 95 engine is not trivial and would be a lot of work (and potentially, money) to get it running correctly. If this is valve clearance, then the ticking will change frequency and follow the engine RPM. The loudness may be overwhelmed by other noises as RPM increases. A mechanic's stethoscope is often very useful in pinpointing and identifying a noise.

AND it appears that you do NOT need a new engine. Granted 400k miles on your engine means it is probably a little "tired". On the other hand, if the engine runs reasonably well, wouldn't you want to see what mileage you could get out of her? 500k is a milestone and right around the corner. The reason I asked about oil weight is that you *may* want to consider a higher viscosity oil given the number of miles on the engine. That alone could quiet it a bit.

Take it to a shop and let them listen to it. It is kinda hard for us on a forum to know for sure but don't throw in the towel on this engine until you have determined the root cause. Problems are more often than not, rather simple but we tend to think of the worst possible scenarios. Chances are this is not a bad rod bearing or anything very serious.

If, on the other hand, you are just itching to change out that motor, go ahead and let us know how it turns out. Take lots of pics and post a tutorial. Best wishes if you decide to go that route.
Old 01-09-11, 07:07 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

you may not know it, but you just got "professional help" .... as much as a forum can do.

Quick Reply: Rod knock!?