LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Newbie question re: 99 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 06:34 PM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Newbie question re: 99 LS 400 ** Now updated with Pics**

I am looking at purchasing a 1999 LS 400, with 79k miles. All the due diligence looks good - ie one owner, all maintenance records, clean car fax, no wrecks, fantastic shape, etc.

So basically I think its a great specimen. My question is, what typical repairs and/or replacements should I expect from this car over the next few years? Also, any preventative tips I should know about? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

I figured I would check in with the experts.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by tbtx2010; 01-03-11 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 07:56 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, welcome to CL!

You should look into changing the timing belt and water pump due to possible dry rot from sitting for long periods or have it checked at least. Normally on these cars this does not have to be done until 90k. Check or change all fluids ie: engine, tranny(Toyota Type-IV only) Will it have air suspension? If so, have it checked out, this system is extremely costly to maintain. The air struts usually leak after time, costing $900 for 1 front and $400 for 1 rear. IF no A/S, not to worry. Generally the LS400s are very reliable cars and not always in the shop like some other German or American competitors.
Old 12-28-10, 08:33 PM
Handy98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car sounds great! My 98 just reached 90K miles. I picked it up at the dealer around Christmas 13 years ago and it's been a great car. Low mileage doesn't mean that it sat or that it's not a good balance of highway miles either. My car sits for 6 weeks in the summer and feels like i just drove it yesterday when I come back, but i drive it almost daily otherwise.

Some of the concerns are going to depend on the equipment, like the air suspension. it's been mentioned that if it has navigation, there hasn't been an update in 5 or 6 years. The instrument panel likes to go out. Mine just started to flat-line the needles on occasion but I've been lucky with a well placed thump.

Keys can be an issue if you have one master key and use it for your daily key. Best to keep one master key in reserve. If the car doesn't come with the original two masters you can order one from Sewells. Do it sooner rather than later, you need a master for programming. If you have both masters, check the batteries in both and check that the backup one didn't die while in storage. I check all the spare keys when I change the batteries in the house smoke detectors every year. Learned the hard way.

The car is touchy about fluids so use what is recommended or better.

It has big brakes. They work really well but I find that they show a lot of symptoms in the last 1/3 of their life. Also, it can limit some aftermarket wheel fitments. This car is one of the first with these very large brakes so it was often the test vehicle at our shop. If it cleared in the back of my car, it cleared anything back in the day. Use OE for rotors and pads, I've not done well with anything else.

LS needs a lot of juice to start so a weak battery is not going to do it. Only the best power pack emergency jumpers work. I've never had a car go through batteries every 3 years or so but this car, it doesn't like weakened batteries. If one of the kids doesn't get a back door shut, i can be sure that the car will be dead. Dead as a doornail recovery just never happens. I'll be ok for a bit but ultimately I'll need a new battery within a month every time.

I've replaced the starter. I've replaced the throttle position sensor. I need to replace the high pressure power steering hose. These are fairly common.

The parts and labor on this car have given me pause more than once. The starter was a pain to get to and replace, the part and the labor where in the upper range. It has been a quality car, quiet, smooth, fast and reliable. All of those require quality and quality parts cost so I'm (mostly) ok with it. Example - power steering hose - $400.

I went through a small rash of repairs that were pretty expensive about 5 or 6 years ago. I haven't done anything since besides brakes, batteries and fluids, and now that power steering fix. I've found this car to be a reliable champ for years between repairs.

Good luck, I hope you get that 99!
Old 12-28-10, 08:40 PM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips.

FWIW I plan on no mods - I'm a completely stock kind of guy.

I also plan on letting the Lexus dealer do all the repairs and scheduled maintenance. I know they are pricey, but I'm figuring its the best way to keep it in shape.

My wife has an 06 GX 470 and I know the svc mgr at the dealership pretty well. I thought maybe I would take it to him and get it looked over for anything that needs repair now and to put together a maintenance plan. Thoughts?
Old 12-28-10, 08:46 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

well then, you dont need us... just enjoy your LS...
I am in Carrollton, where are you
Old 12-28-10, 10:09 PM
Handy98
Driver School Candidate

Since there seems to be a lot of cross posting between here and lexusownersclub and i've seen a few links back and forth, I'm going to hope i don't break a rule by posting a link to the forum there. The what to look for guide.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=11775

You have a contact at Lexus already so that will help.

I am not exactly impressed with the "Elite of Lexus" dealer here. It all depends on the person that you deal with. My stories are really just about one or two people that I dealt with at the dealership that gave me an impression of the entire place. I had a string of bad somebodies for years, it seems. Too many multiple trips for each issue to count. The final straw was when i went to pick up my car and the service department receptionist told me that she couldn't find it and walked away. As if I was just going to say OK and leave!!?

Won't be competing with me for that dealership service appointment unless I hit the lottery, buy a new Lexus and have warranty work!

P.S. This reminded me of what the warranty work was. What are the chances of this -- 95 SC400, 98 LS400 and 03 GS400. All three of them went back for front struts under warranty. Two came back with pinched wiper fluid lines - happened a few years apart. That seems to be another issue to check on previous work.

My mantra - DO NOT TOUCH MY CAR -and for pete's sake, don't rotate my tires
Old 12-29-10, 05:47 PM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Ok well I bought it today.

I'll be back to post pics in a few days.
Old 01-01-11, 10:17 AM
WyoLS
Driver School Candidate

Default LS Maintenance

You might want to clean the PS solenoid filter. There's a guide on this forum....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ystem-diy.html

Ignore the ACV plug part, I'm only talking about the filter cleaning. It's a simple repair.

Doing this help you avoid typical PS leaking problems.
Old 01-03-11, 10:22 AM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

ok - here are the pics...lemme know what you think...

Old 01-03-11, 10:58 AM
NisMax
Rookie

Looks great.
Old 01-03-11, 11:05 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Looks good. What's the situation with the driver floor mat? It looks like a rear mat being square.
Old 01-03-11, 11:18 AM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40
Looks good. What's the situation with the driver floor mat? It looks like a rear mat being square.

That's all it had. Not sure where the original one is. Going to order new ones all the way around though.
Old 01-04-11, 12:07 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this on the internet in San Antonio. I think they were asking $12-13. What did you end up getting it for?

Nice car, love the color and I'm sure it will give you plenty of trouble-free miles...smooth miles that is.
Old 01-04-11, 10:15 PM
djMaru
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

clean interior bro very nice pick up.
Old 01-05-11, 01:03 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that interior is minty

Quick Reply: Newbie question re: 99 LS 400