LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Back-up camera - First Gen

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 09:48 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back-up camera - First Gen

Hi folks. Does anyone know of the existence of a back-up camera that fits well on a First Gen? I ask because I just read a news item that Ford will be installing back-up cameras on ALL its cars by the end of 2011.

Seems like an excellent idea to me. On the first gen, I imagine that a new headunit would have to be installed to make room for a display, probably combined with a GPS.

This has to have been done/thought of before by someone with a First Gen.
Old 12-03-10, 01:46 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a double din pioneer and bought an cheap rear view camera from ebay and installed it. I really think everybody should have that. The LS is a long car and i'm sure happy for my camera when im parking late at night. So go for it!
Old 12-03-10, 02:20 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I've pondered this myself though what I see in the camera pods, wouldn't integrate as well. Some of the mounts in the current Lexus if modded nicely might look fine where the license plate lights are.

I say go for it.
Old 12-03-10, 03:02 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
I got a double din pioneer and bought an cheap rear view camera from ebay and installed it. I really think everybody should have that. The LS is a long car and i'm sure happy for my camera when im parking late at night. So go for it!
Hey, that sounds like a cool setup. Any chance you could describe more about the specific pioneer unit and camera you bought?

The LS most certainly is a looong car, and I can't see a thing back there when in reverse.
Old 12-03-10, 03:06 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
I've pondered this myself though what I see in the camera pods, wouldn't integrate as well. Some of the mounts in the current Lexus if modded nicely might look fine where the license plate lights are.

I say go for it.
I'd love to, and thanks for your encouragement. I've noticed that the cameras on some of the late-model RXs are very small, and produce an exceptionally clear and clean image on the GPS display in the dash. (It's beautiful, really.) I wonder if I could just buy an entire Lexus RX OEM camera assembly (with wiring and everything, etc....) and somehow shoehorn it into the first gen LS. That would be sweet. Of course, it would also cost a small fortune, I'm sure.

But still would have to do the "double-din" headunit replacement, and associated massive wiring (I assume). I would love to do this, but unfortunately, I don't believe I have the knowledge or hand-skill to be the first on this.
Old 12-03-10, 03:15 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

There are countless aftermarket backup camera/screen products: http://www.google.com/search?q=backu...w=1130&bih=781

My opinion is that any year of LS400 is an unusually easy car to back up and park and that a camera would not be of much value unless the driver is short. But if I had an RX, I sure would want a backup camera -- horrible visibility to the rear from the driver seat.
Old 12-03-10, 03:32 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Its really not that hard to install the rear view camera. It just takes a long time to take the car apart an pulling the wires from the rear end of the car to the radio.

I have a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD Touch but other models and brands can be used also.

Heres how the Pioneers looks in reverse:

I dont have a picture of the camera online at the moment but i can get that in the next days. I have it mounted just over the numberplate between the two numberplate lights. Looks ok.
Old 12-03-10, 05:19 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
There are countless aftermarket backup camera/screen products: http://www.google.com/search?q=backu...w=1130&bih=781

My opinion is that any year of LS400 is an unusually easy car to back up and park and that a camera would not be of much value unless the driver is short. But if I had an RX, I sure would want a backup camera -- horrible visibility to the rear from the driver seat.
Thanks Kansas. I guess it's all just personal taste/preference. Somehow I'd feel just that much safer if I could be sure that there were no kids running around while I was backing up.

I agree, the visibility to the rear certainly is bad on an RX. That's why the later models come with the back-up camera as standard equipment.
Old 12-03-10, 05:23 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Rollaboy

Thanks for those cool pics. That headunit looks fantastic. I know, I know, I should search, but did you happen to write-up the installation process? That would be a cool step-by-step DIY tutorial.
Old 12-03-10, 05:41 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Rollaboy - slightly off topic

I noticed on another thread with more beautiful pics of your 91 LS, that the courtesy lights built in to the door interior are red. I like that effect, and would like to give that a try on my 92. How did you do it? Did you find actual red plastic lenses? Or did you leave the clear lenses but put in red bulbs? Or did you simply apply a trasnlucent red tape over the existing lenses.

It sure does look nice. Quite like the S-Class Mercedes. But better.
Old 12-03-10, 08:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Rollaboy...that looks clean...
somnoboy...there ya go. If you don't mind taking the interior up to run the wires...I thinks it will be a nice feature.

I have a pretty good sense of ours but having a bumper level view would be nice for those times.
Old 12-04-10, 02:11 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

I think its nice now that i can park all the way back to my personal parking place and stop about an inch before the bumber touches the wall.

Thanks for the comments. I like the clean look. and the double din adapter doesnt cost much from ebay.

About the red lights in the door its actually original. But for some reason the glass was white on the passenger front door. So i bought a new red glass from lexus and installed than instead. piece of cake and didnt cost much. i will try to find the number on the part if you want it.

But i remember the lexus guy said that there where two different parts. white one and red one, but he couldnt answer why. I just think red all way around looks nicest

My friend have a S-class and i really like the amber light in the bottom of the car in the rear so i made some amber lights under my seats to get about the same thing. I think it came out pretty good.
Old 12-04-10, 04:05 AM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Thanks guys. This does certainly look like something I'd like to try when I find a spare thirty seconds.

Rollaboy: If you happen to have the Lexus part numbers for the red plastic lenses handy, then sure, please do post. I'm sure there are many other readers who are just as admiring and would like to try the same thing. But don't go to any trouble. I can call my local Lexus guy just as easily. (He'll probably charge me a small fortune for them, but hey....) Thanks for offering though.
Old 12-04-10, 04:53 PM
somnoboy
Pole Position

Default Meanwhile, over on the RX thread...

This post on the RX thread may be relevant to this discussion:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...up-camera.html
Old 12-06-10, 02:02 PM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

the number for the glass is 8123 1 5 00 20. well thats what it is here in Denmark. Dont know about US? But the glass only cost about $7,5. Go for it

Quick Reply: Back-up camera - First Gen