LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Foggin' windsheild

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 03:31 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts
Default Foggin' windsheild

I got a big problem with the winsheild fogging up instantly as soon as I start the car. If I wipe it off it feels a little oily and comes right back. I don't want to breath in too much antifreeze and kill my kidneys. Could this be because of a bad heater core? I'm pretty sure it's bad. (no heat) No matter what climate control I have it on I have a bad musty smell. The A/C was working fine when I used it. Another question is, if the heater core is clogged, can I take it out and flush it somehow to clean it out? I know it's not 100% clogged b/c the inlet and outlet hoses under the hood are both hot. I did a search and couldn't find my answer. Any help would be nice.
Old 11-30-10, 03:49 PM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

sounds like the heater core is leaking. doesnt sound clogged at all. a leaking heater core will fog the window up like your describing and youll have the musty coolant smell.
Old 11-30-10, 04:44 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williamb82
sounds like the heater core is leaking. doesnt sound clogged at all. a leaking heater core will fog the window up like your describing and youll have the musty coolant smell.
Why didn't I think of that? Thanks I'll have to check that when I pull it out. I guess I gotta start pulling the dash out. I'm not losing any coolant though, it's always full. Thanks again.
Old 12-01-10, 06:40 AM
williamb82
Advanced

could just be a pinhole leak. and usually wont loose coolant till its cold out and you use the heater alot. doesnt take much steam from the heater core to fog it up and smell funny. got a leaking heater core in one of my supra.s prob is its like an 8hr job to replace thanks to all the auto a/c crap.
Old 12-01-10, 10:28 AM
denverdog
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a thought. if it is a pinhole leak, would some "stop-leak" stuff in the coolant have any chance of patching up the problem?
Old 12-01-10, 11:20 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A clogged up AC filter can cause this problem due to poor air circulation also try a can of aerosol AC cleaner to remove the smells.
Easier than ripping the dash out first and cheaper.
Old 12-01-10, 11:21 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by denverdog
just a thought. if it is a pinhole leak, would some "stop-leak" stuff in the coolant have any chance of patching up the problem?
I'm not sure if that would work but I don't like using any of that stop leak stuff for anything. I need to change my heater core anyway b/c I have no heat (I think it's like 90% clogged.) and I'm pretty sure that's the problem.
Old 12-01-10, 11:28 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steve2006
A clogged up AC filter can cause this problem due to poor air circulation also try a can of aerosol AC cleaner to remove the smells.
Easier than ripping the dash out first and cheaper.
Are you talking about the cabin air filter? If so I did remove it about a month ago b/c it was so dirty. Air flows powerful. Maybe that's why I can smell it more now.
Old 12-01-10, 11:36 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
Are you talking about the cabin air filter? If so I did remove it about a month ago b/c it was so dirty. Air flows powerful. Maybe that's why I can smell it more now.
Yes sorry I mean the cabin filter
Old 12-01-10, 12:00 PM
williamb82
Advanced

i wouldnt use stop leak, itll stop the leak in the core, for awhile, but also clug up other passages in your coolant system. dont do it!
Old 12-02-10, 05:46 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

i wouldnt use stop leak, itll stop the leak in the core, for awhile, but also clug up other passages in your coolant system. dont do it!
True true true, I hate all that "stop leak" garbage. It will fix one problem but give ya ten more. I learned that 30 years ago when I used it in my AMC Gremlin. What a joke that car was but it wouldn't die. (first car)
If I put on the outside air, and turn the fan to any speed, it will fog up quick. Switch it to inside air and it will clear up a little if the car is warmed up. There is a tiny bit of warm air coming out.
Old 12-02-10, 06:56 AM
williamb82
Advanced

the reason it does that is because the outside air is likely more humid.

and as for stop leak, my experience with it was on a mk3 supra i bought. it would randomly over heat for no reason, so i figured blown head gasket. pulled the head, head gasket was fine but all the water passages were clogged with k&w block seal. cleaned it all out, put it all back together, and as soon as i started the car up i had coolant shooting out from under the intake manifold. one of the hoses that routes to the tb had split and instead of replacing it, the previous owner poured block seal in it. replaced the hose and ran fine for a few days then was over heating again. ended up running diluted muratic acid through it for 5min then flushing it with clean water 6-7 times till clear to get the rest of the crap out. after that it never overheated again. what a nightmare.
Old 12-22-10, 09:35 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Default used heater core

Well, my finances finally allowed me get a heater core. (used) Does anyone know how I can test it before installing it in the car? I filled it with water and it seems to hold it but I don't have it presurized nor do I have any way of presurizing it. The water flows freely through it. I'd just like to test it somehow before going through all that work. If not, I'll just through it in. Man, can't wait to have heat again and stop breathing in all that antifreeze, can't be good for the kidneys.
Old 12-22-10, 11:09 AM
williamb82
Advanced

cap one side. clamp a piece of hose to the other side, then clamp a valve stem into the hose. use an air pump to pressurize. id pressurize to 18psi. stock cap is ~14psi. most upgraded caps are 16.7psi iirc.
Old 12-23-10, 09:16 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

cap one side. clamp a piece of hose to the other side, then clamp a valve stem into the hose. use an air pump to pressurize. id pressurize to 18psi. stock cap is ~14psi. most upgraded caps are 16.7psi iirc.
I kinda figured you would have an idea William. Awesome idea, thanks. I'm gonna have to get an air pump though, I found out yesterday my *#!@ Xwife threw out everything I had in storage in her shed. (It used to be MY shed) I had all my tools and garage items I can't store in an appartment in that damn shed. Women, what, ya can't use a phone? Anyway, I'm gonna have to wait a few days to install it b/c we are in the 20s for another week.

Quick Reply: Foggin' windsheild