LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Antifreeze leaking shortly after starter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 11:24 AM
Bociba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze leaking shortly after starter replacement

Hello All:

I have a 91 LS400 that had the starter go out this past February. It was finally replaced around March. Seems like I remember that there was some sort of "crossover" fixture at the back of the engine that may transport coolant. It is possible that this fixture was loosened and not re-tightened. This past summer, here in Sacramento, the car's coolant leaked out a few times and the engine got fairly hot.

I don't think that we warped the heads. But the problem has been that coolant leaks at the back of the engine and drips down to the driveway and of course results in low coolant levels.

You can start the car up and within a few minutes the dripping starts.

Just recently the starter started acting up ... just clicking. I put in a new battery and it would start pretty well. But will lose charge after a few days. So, I may have to hunt a short. Another story maybe.

I took the car over to a mechanic and he said that the starter is ok...that he only charged the battery BUT... that both of my head gaskets were leaking. He stuck a yardstick under the intake manifold were you can likely tap on the starter and there was antifreeze on it. I bet that there is a good 1/2" to inch of antifreeze that the starter is sitting in.

So, he says that I need a new set of head gaskets which will be quite a tear down and replacement. I don't remember if when the intake manifold was taken off that if there is any coolant running through a portion of it or not. Is there? And I don't remember that the gaskets for the intake manifold were replaced.

In replacing the starter then, are there components that must be removed which involve coolant passages? Not talking about the thermostat area. And is there a structure in the back which transfers coolant from one side to the other?

I am trying to find out IF I really need new head gaskets or what. I don't know that the present starter is not damaged or faulty - but it does start with sufficient battery charge. Engine runs fine - no hesitation - no misfiring, etc. But then comes the leak.

I really could use a little help (and patience) as I am not really familiar with these engines. I don't want to replace head gaskets unless absolutely necessary. Yes, I can take it to another mechanic, but it would be helpful for a little more education on this matter.

If I have to tear into the engine I might as well have the timing belt changed and will want to check the starter and water pump. I don't want to just lay out $$$ for a larger repair than is necessary.

Your help, much appreciated.

Bociba
Old 11-23-10, 11:25 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

there was a recent thread discussing this. please search .
Old 11-23-10, 12:43 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

yes, do a search.
Old 11-23-10, 03:49 PM
1dopeLS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bociba
Hello All:

I have a 91 LS400 that had the starter go out this past February. It was finally replaced around March. Seems like I remember that there was some sort of "crossover" fixture at the back of the engine that may transport coolant. It is possible that this fixture was loosened and not re-tightened. This past summer, here in Sacramento, the car's coolant leaked out a few times and the engine got fairly hot.

I don't think that we warped the heads. But the problem has been that coolant leaks at the back of the engine and drips down to the driveway and of course results in low coolant levels.

You can start the car up and within a few minutes the dripping starts.

Just recently the starter started acting up ... just clicking. I put in a new battery and it would start pretty well. But will lose charge after a few days. So, I may have to hunt a short. Another story maybe.

I took the car over to a mechanic and he said that the starter is ok...that he only charged the battery BUT... that both of my head gaskets were leaking. He stuck a yardstick under the intake manifold were you can likely tap on the starter and there was antifreeze on it. I bet that there is a good 1/2" to inch of antifreeze that the starter is sitting in.

So, he says that I need a new set of head gaskets which will be quite a tear down and replacement. I don't remember if when the intake manifold was taken off that if there is any coolant running through a portion of it or not. Is there? And I don't remember that the gaskets for the intake manifold were replaced.

In replacing the starter then, are there components that must be removed which involve coolant passages? Not talking about the thermostat area. And is there a structure in the back which transfers coolant from one side to the other?

I am trying to find out IF I really need new head gaskets or what. I don't know that the present starter is not damaged or faulty - but it does start with sufficient battery charge. Engine runs fine - no hesitation - no misfiring, etc. But then comes the leak.

I really could use a little help (and patience) as I am not really familiar with these engines. I don't want to replace head gaskets unless absolutely necessary. Yes, I can take it to another mechanic, but it would be helpful for a little more education on this matter.

If I have to tear into the engine I might as well have the timing belt changed and will want to check the starter and water pump. I don't want to just lay out $$$ for a larger repair than is necessary.

Your help, much appreciated.

Bociba
i got a friend in sacramento who is very very good on toyota and lexus. he's a master tech @ the local eg toyota dealer. pm me if you want contact info.
Old 11-24-10, 11:32 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you removed the rear coolant bridge which you need to do in order to remove the starter motor or even just loosened it you should have fitted new gaskets so if you haven't that is probably the reason for coolant loss.
Trouble is replacing the gaskets now is nearly the same job as the starter motor with the major strip down required.
Old 11-24-10, 02:51 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by steve2006
If you removed the rear coolant bridge which you need to do in order to remove the starter motor or even just loosened it you should have fitted new gaskets so if you haven't that is probably the reason for coolant loss.
Trouble is replacing the gaskets now is nearly the same job as the starter motor with the major strip down required.
This is why when you do a major tear down certain parts should be changed even if they aren't bad. B/c when ya get it back together, it's possible, something like this happens and it has to be completely torn down again.
Anyway, your description points to the coolant bridge b/c of where the coolant is leaking down.