LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

McCulloch HID Conversion

Old 07-30-02, 08:46 PM
BHC
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default McCulloch HID Conversion

Does anyone have any experience with McCulloch HIDs? I installed a Philips 4300K kit about 2 months ago and have been pretty satisfied with it. You can check out my pics and comments in this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=49045 .
That was my last mod...and since then, i've gotten somewhat mod-itchy. So I just ordered a set of McCulloch 5000K to test out and see if they are that much better as some people claim. Beam pattern is suppose to be more evenly distributed and the color even whiter with a slight blue tinge. The website addy is http://www.mccullochhid.com/ in case you're interested. Just lookin for some feedback and comments. thanks.
Old 08-01-02, 06:36 PM
LexieLS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon

BHC,
i looked through the website and seems like the the bulb H4 comes with the shield. that means there would be no more yellow glare from the headlights. that's wonderful. i'm really interested on this product. Thank you. Pls let us know how it goes after you put it on your LS.
Old 08-02-02, 01:20 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol, you know how I am about lightingmods. I just follow what you do

Hope to see some feedback on those 5k HID's.
Old 08-04-02, 06:28 PM
BHC
Driver

dude...it looks friggin sweeeeet! I would post some pictures but I recently lost my digicam So you guys might have to wait up to 2 weeks for some pics.

Ok, main differences between the McCulloch and the Philips:
1) McCulloch has a better beam pattern, not as blotchy...its reflective shield is made better than the Philips.

2) Because McCulloch's are 5000K, the Philips which are 4300K are slightly brighter. As you go up in color temperature, your useable light (lumens) decrease. So nothing beats OEM 4100-4300 in sheer light output.

3) In terms of looks, McCullochs look pure white if you're an observer looking at my car from the outside. But then again, the Philips look pretty white too. However, if I pull up next to another HID retrofit LS400 with 4300K, my lights are gonna make them look a tad bit yellower. 4300K are gonna look yellower on a retrofit car that didnt come with HIDs, compared to a car that has headlamps designed for HIDs...even though they are the same exact bulb. That being said, if I pull up next to a factory equipped HID Lexus, the color is pretty similar. But of course, the new Lex is gonna look better in terms of beam pattern and reduced glare.

4) People with HIDs can testify that one of the coolest things about them is when you first turn them on. The Philips turn on light blue and warms up in about 5 seconds to white. The McCullochs turn on a rich deep blue and takes about 10 seconds to become white. For me, I appreciate the longer (and some say more gradual and safer) warm up time... Makes people know for sure you have HIDs

Last edited by BHC; 08-04-02 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-09-02, 08:17 PM
LexieLS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID

hello BHC,
i'm thinking about buying the HID set from McCulloch but was wondering how much would it cost for a set. i checked the website and it was about $500+ a set. Do you know anywhere else that could sell it a little cheaper. what kind of bulbs do your car use? are they H4? on the site, the H4 bulbs come with the shield. is it the same like yours??

Thank you
Old 08-11-02, 11:36 PM
BHC
Driver

Default Re: HID

Originally posted by LexieLS
hello BHC,
i'm thinking about buying the HID set from McCulloch but was wondering how much would it cost for a set. i checked the website and it was about $500+ a set. Do you know anywhere else that could sell it a little cheaper. what kind of bulbs do your car use? are they H4? on the site, the H4 bulbs come with the shield. is it the same like yours??

Thank you
Lexie, first of all my car indeed does use H4 bulbs. And the McCulloch H4s do come with the shield. It basically covers the bottom portion of the bulb as well as the tip of it. This reduces glare and makes a decent beam pattern. As far as stores...I bought mine from http://www.motorgroove.com/ for $535 w/ free shipping but it also included a $50 rebate (rebate ended July 31). The next cheapest place I found was http://www.importhorizon.com/mccullochhid.html for $490 w/ free shipping. Since you live in missouri, you wont need to pay tax if you buy from either store. I got hit with like 40 something dollars in taxes cuz I live in CA. Lemme know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-12-02, 03:52 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Check out suvlights.com (based in SoCal)

The guy, Jen, used to work for McCulloch so he has the inside scoop on their products.

He's a straight shooter, no BS, and a good guy to talk to (I suggest calling him, phone #s on his site). He'll put them in for you if you live close enough to make the drive over there. I was quoted $400 for HID retrofit kit (may vary depending on type of headlights).

If I decide on HID, there's no question I'll be getting it from him.

The LS in which I'm considering the HIDs may not be kept around for too much longer, so I'm still wavering on whether to get it.

(PS BHC - were your fog lights white to begin with?)

Last edited by kreativ; 08-12-02 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08-12-02, 09:37 AM
BHC
Driver

Kreativ:
What brand are the kits that Jen is selling?
And no, my foglights were not white to begin with. It was yellow like all other first gen LS. Do a search on the LS forum for "breaking the yellow glass on fogs" or something to that effect. Basically, there's a yellow casing around the stock foglight bulb. You'll need to break that....and then buy some white bulbs (I got PIAA xtreme white) to replace them. Otherwise, stock bulbs without the yellow casing would look kinda white-orangish.
Old 08-12-02, 12:43 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Thanks for the fog lights advice.

As for what kits Jen sells, I know he has Philips and McCulloch. I'd give him a call for further info.

Last edited by kreativ; 08-12-02 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 02:21 AM
BHC
Driver

Ok here we go....finally some pics, sorry it took so long. First up, the warmup pic, the McCullochs warm up a rich blue...much more than the Philips
Attached Thumbnails McCulloch HID Conversion-warm-up.jpg  
Old 08-20-02, 02:22 AM
BHC
Driver

front shot
Attached Thumbnails McCulloch HID Conversion-hid-front.jpg  
Old 08-20-02, 02:24 AM
BHC
Driver

side shot...Also, I forgot to take pictures of the beam patter DOH! I'll post those at a later time hehe.
Attached Thumbnails McCulloch HID Conversion-hid-side.jpg  

Last edited by BHC; 08-20-02 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-20-02, 02:30 AM
BHC
Driver

I also rewired my fogs so they are independent of the headlights.
Attached Thumbnails McCulloch HID Conversion-fog-front.jpg  
Old 08-20-02, 02:32 AM
BHC
Driver

side shot of the fogs
Attached Thumbnails McCulloch HID Conversion-fog-side.jpg  
Old 08-20-02, 02:36 AM
BHC
Driver

Now, HIDs and the Fogs...its crazy bright together!
Attached Thumbnails McCulloch HID Conversion-hid-and-fog-front.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: McCulloch HID Conversion