LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looking at a 98 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-10, 03:11 PM
Tatt22er
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 98 LS400

I guess I should do an intro first, My name is Mike and live in Omaha, NE. I am looking at a 98 LS400 from a friend at work who is selling it. Her spouse passed away recently leaving her the 98 and an 09, she of couse is now driving the 09 and is selling the 98 which has 101000 mikes on it, he was the only owner and it is emaculate, has all service records performed by the local Lexus dealer and recently had the timing belt changed and serviced. Has brand new tires and has always been garaged. When I test drove it I could not believe the ride and was in total awe! She is asking $8500, suggested retail I believe is around $11000, Please some one chime in and let me know if this is a good deal or not. Thank you in advance.

Mike
Old 11-14-10, 03:34 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Buy it. You won't find a better deal if it is as you describe
Old 11-14-10, 05:51 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Although $8500 sounds high for a 98 LS with that mileage 200 miles south of you here in the Kansas City metro area, it appears that the car is a known quantity and might justify a bit higher price. What's this "suggested retail" you mentioned? $11,000 would buy an early LS430 with similar mileage to the 98 LS you are looking at.

For comparison, my 2000 LS400 is at 130,000 miles, looks and drives like new, in completely up-to-date in maintenance which is documented since it was new. (I bought it at 38,000 miles in 2003.) It is (thankfully) missing only two options - navigation and air suspension. My CPA wife is currently carrying in on our balance sheet at $7,500 which is about what I think I could get for it here in a private party sale.

How is the 98 LS you are considering equipped? Here is a link to the spec and options: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1998/1998LSspecs.pdf
If it has navigation and/or air suspension, you might want to pass on it. The last update for the 98-00 nav system was over six years ago. If it has the Nakamichi system like mine, be aware that replacement components are no longer available from Lexus. Heated seats sure would be nice for Omaha winter weather.

Attached is a recent photo of my 2000 LS400 - it's still a very enjoyable car after all these years.
Attached Thumbnails Looking at a 98 LS400-my-2000-ls400-with-bike-rack-lower-res.jpg  
Old 11-14-10, 06:53 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Bee utiful car..... wonder why I like it so much....

by the way my 99's were 6500 each 130k & 160k when purchased...

I think the 98 might be a tad high...

but on the other hand, if the purchase wont run you short.... buy it. enjoy the Lexus, not the $$
Old 11-14-10, 07:05 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If she's asking $8.5K, maybe offer $7.5K but be willing to take her for $8K. I've got an RX and want an LS400 for myself. It sounds like the LS was extremely well take care of and that is what is important. A plus is the timing belt, without that, would you pay $7K? I'd take $8K and run, especially if you know the owner and it drives well.

Interesting what the "Kansas" said about air suspension and Nakamichi. Keep those in mind, although the Nakamichi sounds great from what I've been told.

Good luck and post some pictures!
Old 11-14-10, 08:01 PM
Tatt22er
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Although $8500 sounds high for a 98 LS with that mileage 200 miles south of you here in the Kansas City metro area, it appears that the car is a known quantity and might justify a bit higher price. What's this "suggested retail" you mentioned? $11,000 would buy an early LS430 with similar mileage to the 98 LS you are looking at.

For comparison, my 2000 LS400 is at 130,000 miles, looks and drives like new, in completely up-to-date in maintenance which is documented since it was new. (I bought it at 38,000 miles in 2003.) It is (thankfully) missing only two options - navigation and air suspension. My CPA wife is currently carrying in on our balance sheet at $7,500 which is about what I think I could get for it here in a private party sale.

How is the 98 LS you are considering equipped? Here is a link to the spec and options: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1998/1998LSspecs.pdf
If it has navigation and/or air suspension, you might want to pass on it. The last update for the 98-00 nav system was over six years ago. If it has the Nakamichi system like mine, be aware that replacement components are no longer available from Lexus. Heated seats sure would be nice for Omaha winter weather.

Attached is a recent photo of my 2000 LS400 - it's still a very enjoyable car after all these years.
Kansas, It does have heated leater seats, does not have the Nav System, I will have to check if it has the Air Ride Suspension. I did notice in the service logs that he kept that the ball joints were replaced one each at two different times and earlier this year the timimg belt was replaced and everything was gone through and serviced, the thing is emaculate. Below is the Kelly Blue Suggested Retail Book Value. All the reseach I have done tells me that the 98's were one of the best build models and have heard people getting over 300,000 miles on these cars. I figure if I can get her to 8k, I can't go wrong, should get years out of this car and maybe hand it down to my son in a couple of years. I have never been a Lexus fan mostly because they have been out of reach, but after driving this car I am in total awe, I am convinced this is one of the best cars on the road.

BLUE BOOK® SUGGESTED RETAIL VALUE Close Suggested Retail ValueKelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices for a used car, and the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the vehicle has been fully reconditioned and has a clean title history, but has not been certified in accordance with any Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program the automaker may offer (for which it may or may not qualify, according to factors such as vehicle age and mileage). This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the vehicle's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions.

More Photos Condition Value

Excellent $10,390

Suggested Retail Value Assumes Excellent Condition More
Old 11-14-10, 08:47 PM
eurodirver
Driver School Candidate

It sounds like a great deal...I would buy it at the asking price. 98-00 are some of the best LS models made and are getting more rare to find in excellent condition.
Old 11-15-10, 04:19 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

If it doesn't have heated seats, it will not have air suspension. Although those only were available separately only in 1998, it is unlikely you will find an air suspension car without heated seats. The 98 LS with navigation or Nakamichi usually (maybe always) had heated seats.

Does the car have HID headlights? Many 1998's don't have them but virtually all 1998-2000 LS400's do.

Edit: Sorry, I misread and thought you said it didn't have heated seats. If it has heated seats, it likely has self leveling HID headlights. Check for "D2R" stamped into each headlight lens to verify.

Last edited by Kansas; 11-15-10 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-15-10, 04:45 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

it probably has not had the starter replaced, but you can plan on it happening around 150K...
Old 11-15-10, 08:23 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

don't worry if it has a nakamichi you can get replacements on ebay and everybody and his brother fixes them on ebay. Not to mention car-parts.com. Only a moron would by a replacement radio from the lexus dealer. It would cost as much as the car
Old 11-15-10, 08:31 PM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get it? Post pictures when you do, good luck!
Old 11-16-10, 12:04 AM
txsizzler
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar situation to the main OP. I am trying to choose between a 1 owner 1996 Lexus LS400 with 116k for $5400, and a 1998 Lexus LS400 with 117k (4 previous owners!) for $6900. Right now, I am leaning heavily towards the 1996 model. Neither of them have the Nav system on them, or the upgraded stereo. Both cars are on a dealer lot.

A few questions... if I decide to make the deal on either or (which I would like to hear some feedback from you all on), is there anything I should specify from the dealer on, or have done to the car? Both cars are on an actual Toyota dealership lot. Is there anything in particular with either year model I should be looking for? I have also heard about engine sludge in some of the late 90s model Toyotas; does this problem afflict the Lexus as well, and what year models would be the ones to watch for on that issue? Would you recommend I buy an extended warranty (I am leaning towards yes, as I have no doubt that parts for Lexus vehicles are pricey, and this will be my first Lexus)?

Anyhow, I appreciate all comments. Thanks!

Ian
Old 11-16-10, 12:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there's a HUGE difference between the 96 and the 98 cars....model change was in 98.

98 for 6900 if its a clean car, even if its overdue for timing belt is a damn good price.
Old 11-16-10, 05:34 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of you need to jump on those '98 deals quick fast. I guarantee you'll regret it of you don't.
Old 11-16-10, 07:17 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by txsizzler
I have a similar situation to the main OP. I am trying to choose between a 1 owner 1996 Lexus LS400 with 116k for $5400, and a 1998 Lexus LS400 with 117k (4 previous owners!) for $6900. Right now, I am leaning heavily towards the 1996 model. Neither of them have the Nav system on them, or the upgraded stereo. Both cars are on a dealer lot.

A few questions... if I decide to make the deal on either or (which I would like to hear some feedback from you all on), is there anything I should specify from the dealer on, or have done to the car? Both cars are on an actual Toyota dealership lot. Is there anything in particular with either year model I should be looking for? I have also heard about engine sludge in some of the late 90s model Toyotas; does this problem afflict the Lexus as well, and what year models would be the ones to watch for on that issue? Would you recommend I buy an extended warranty (I am leaning towards yes, as I have no doubt that parts for Lexus vehicles are pricey, and this will be my first Lexus)?

Anyhow, I appreciate all comments. Thanks!

Ian
Check all the records you can find on both of them. For the extra $1500 I would go for that '98, even though it has had 4 owners and the T-belt probably has to be changed. As for an extended warranty, if you are financing it I would say "NO". You would be paying interest on it. There are plenty of warranty companies out there that you can go with after the purchase for a hell of alot cheaper.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 98 LS400