LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Nakamichi System Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-02, 08:07 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nakamichi System Question

Hey

Quick question based on my observation in comparing two different 98 LS400.

One had the Nakamichi system and had Killer bass but was REALLY lacking in the Highs.

The other had the regular Premium system and had very good bass but also had good highs to match.

I listen mostly to one of three types of music. Dance-Club music, 80s hits, or Smooth Jazz. Some times I like to crank it up but most of the time its just nice background music. My main request is that I have some decent bass. To me the regular system seemed more than adequate. But the bass in the Nakamichi was just awesome.

So my question is does anyone else think the Nakamichi system is lacking in highs or was it just that the tweeters may have been damaged in this particular car. It only had 43k and was in Pristine condition. I Would have bought it but was Gold and I want white.

Thank all
Jerry
Old 07-30-02, 09:53 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...my Nakamichi system actually has good high/mid and not enough bass. I am adding my Kicker Solobaric 15" sub (the square ones). I think that should do it
Old 07-30-02, 09:55 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(See PM)

Last edited by rsg; 07-30-02 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-31-02, 06:07 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Default CD PLAYER

I have a 1997 LS400 with no CD player just an empty compartment How hard would it be to install a CD player that was an original model? Also what price do you think it would be?
Old 08-06-02, 03:00 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Hey you all

Any input on my question? Does anybody have the Nak system out there?
Old 08-07-02, 01:41 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Horta,

From your notes it seems that you were satisfied with the Premium unit. I do not have the Nak system but would guess that it is capable of superior sound to the Premium. I would think an upgrade of the speakers would get you near audiophile sound. I have the Premium and am thinking about an upgrade myself.

Herb,

I traded my 96 LS400 for my 99 LS400. My 96 didn't have a CD changer either. Unfortunately it seems that the only choice to make your head unit functional is the factory changer and trim pieces. You can try to find this used but expect to pay over $300. Lexus wants around a grand The sucky thing about it is most cars have aftermarket harnesses that alow the use of an aftermarket changer with the factory head unit. Nobody I asked had this for a Lexus. Of course you can go with an FM modulated unit but it will require an additional remote control.
Old 08-12-02, 08:35 AM
jtparkes
Rookie

Default Pioneer

Horta:

I have the Pioneer in my LS, but wish I had the Nakamichi.
My unhappiness with the Pioneer is over the acuracy of the reproduction of the sound. If you listen to an instrument with which you are familiar: a saxaphone, an un-distorted guitar, a vocalist, you will see. The system over-emphasizes the treble and the bass, and you lose the middle frequencies. Most sterio sytems nowdays do this because most people think rock and electonic music sound 'better' with ridiculously exageraged booming bass and shrill high trebles (cymbals, screaming tenors).
(A home sterio person explained this phenomenon to me a while back).

The music that you say you listen too is all highly engineered, I think you would be very happy with the results from the Pioneer. I will also say that the Pioneer system is VERY loud.
Old 08-15-02, 01:59 AM
rhayward
Driver

Default have it gonna change it.

i got the nak stereo and used to have the stock 8 on rear dash.

yes the stock puts out great highs and mids. but lacks bass for hip hop or dance. just strictly mid bass is all you'll hear. I will later be changing the deck to touch screen. for looks and better sound signal. and more stuff the store told me hehhehe.

what i did was to go with pheonix gold, to get my slammin bass.

2 12's titanium port box to rear deck
1 100.2 titanium amp
5 farad cap
1 yellow top battery

the result is bass like i never even felt. I can roll mellow and make people 6 cars in front hear me. oh yeah it's cool.

so the real question is what to plan to do.

but answer your ques. yes those tweets were blown.
Old 08-15-02, 04:19 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the 96 with the Nak. I listen with the bass at 1 oclock, and mid and treble at 12 oclock. I find the sound even or flat throughout the range. Nice system.
Old 08-15-02, 07:19 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Well as much as I appriciate all your advice I bought a 98 and it came with the Stock Premium system. I am more than happy with it.

Thank you all for taking your time to answer my questions.

Jerry