LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

no power, no engine codes, wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-10, 11:19 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default no power, no engine codes, wtf?

ok, car is all back together from pulling the engine and puling the heads to rebuild them etc... everything is hooked up correctly. the engine runs, in park or neutral itll rev al the way up, though you can hear some slight sharp pings. not bad, but still there. no engine codes. i changed the plugs today as i didnt do that while it was apart. i verified that the timing marks all line up properly, and that the wires are al on to right firing order. i checked the valve clearances after puting the cams back in, they were all good. it doesnt over heat at all, got all the air burped out. heater works good as well. i checked engine codes, none at all. i drove it around the block. if you floor it, it barely accelerates at all. no pinging or anything while accelerating. just no power at al. i went over the engine several times now trying to figure out what is wrong, cant find anything thats out of place. anyone have any ideas? i have exhaust out of both exhaust pipes so i doubt any animals crawled in my exhaust while the engine was out. i really have no clue what else it can be.

btw, both coils are plugged in, both coils have spark, though i didnt check at each individual spark plug. the wires caps and rotors were fine before i pulled the engine apart and in god shape. anyone have some ideas?
Old 11-07-10, 06:40 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear the troubles after all that work. It sounds similar to what mine was doing except mine would ping alot under load. I unhooked the AFM and it runs pretty damn good that way. (other then fuel mileage) I checked with an ohm meter and it's bad. The AFM also works with the o2 sensors. Could it have anything to do with the EGR pipe you changed? I don't know why it would but it's just a thought.
Old 11-07-10, 09:50 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, it ran fine after i clened the egr before i pulled the engine except the #2 cylinder missing. i can tell its running on all cylinders. it revs good in netral, but doesnt sound quite right and doesnt rev as fast as it used to. im pretty positive i put the cam gears on the correct sides, but at this point its the only thing i can think of that could possibly be wrong. does anyone know if itll run with them on the wrong sides. gonna be a pita to swap them around if thats the issue.
Old 11-07-10, 10:49 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, been doing alot of searching online. found this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-question.html.

based on this im pretty positive the timing belt is on right. im going to double check later that i dont have the cam gears swapped around. the drivers side has a lip on it that the passenger side doesnt. im pretty positive i have it right as the rotor buttons and everything lined up correctly with the notches on the cam sensors etc.. i really am at a loss. borrowing my friends compression tester so i can do a compression test to make sure its all good. though no smoke out of the oil cap or exhaust, doesnt over heat, and no water in the oil. so i know it isnt a bhg somehow already.
Old 11-07-10, 10:36 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure that all timing marks were lined up from crank to cam sprockets? Maybe you the cam sprockets were off a tooth? Check your AFM and TPS if they are within specs including the harness.
Old 11-08-10, 04:50 AM
williamb82
Advanced

yes im sure they are lined up perfect. i turned he cam gears a lil to the right, put the belt on then rotated left to take the slack out when they are lined up like i do on my supras. all the slack was on the stretch by the tensioner. also, since it has run, i took the upper covers off, put the crank at 0, and both cam gears line up at the marks on the rear covers perfect. like i said, only possible thing i can think of is i somehow mixed up the left and right cam gears, even though i marked them. whats wiered is im pretty positive that isnt the issue as the rotor buttons lined up with the marks on the cam sensors. if the gears were on wrong i dont see how that could happen. tps and maf are fine. they were perfect before i pulled it all apart. plus i swapped them both just to see as i have spares. no change. im gonna pull the covers off again when i get time just to verify the gears are on right. all the pics ive found online show the gear wit hthe lip away from the engine should be on the drivers side.
Old 11-08-10, 09:07 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Check fuel pressure and filter. It might be clogged. I had instances on my FC that it has no power under load when I stepped on the gas but revs fine without load. I changed the fuel filter because I did see dirt in there and it was back to normal.
Old 11-09-10, 05:11 AM
williamb82
Advanced

it ran perfect before i pulled the engine except the miss from me dropping a nut in an intake port while changing the starter.

i did have an epiphany last night. there is a 2 wire plug on the drivers side of the trans at the very front of the trans. the 2 wires came out of t his plug and i put them back in the way that seemed correct do to the wires holding their form from many heat cycles etc... iirc it is a speed sensor. that isnt needed for the engine to run at all is it? im thinking of unplugging that plug when i have time this weekend to mess with it and see if it makes a difference. if it does ill swap the 2 wires around.
Old 11-09-10, 06:26 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williamb82
it ran perfect before i pulled the engine except the miss from me dropping a nut in an intake port while changing the starter.

i did have an epiphany last night. there is a 2 wire plug on the drivers side of the trans at the very front of the trans. the 2 wires came out of t his plug and i put them back in the way that seemed correct do to the wires holding their form from many heat cycles etc... iirc it is a speed sensor. that isnt needed for the engine to run at all is it? im thinking of unplugging that plug when i have time this weekend to mess with it and see if it makes a difference. if it does ill swap the 2 wires around.
Hah, it's crazy how ya wake up from a dead sleep in the middle of the night and say "THAT'S RIGHT" I don't know if that's how it happened with you but hopefully switching those wires around will work for ya.
Old 11-09-10, 09:33 AM
williamb82
Advanced

itd be nice, but i still doubt it, they are on the trans. oddly enough though, when it is reved a few times and held at say 3k rpm, it sounds great. so maybe it is that stupid plug. idk.
Old 11-09-10, 09:37 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

It could very well be b/c when you have it in gear is when it doesn't run right. There is just too many sensors on this car that work together. Eh, the price ya pay to have luxury.
Old 11-09-10, 10:08 AM
williamb82
Advanced

well, in park it doesnt sound right. starts a lil funny. not as smooth as it did before. but also it idles horrible. then again, if the convertor is trying to lock up, maybe thats why it idles so crappy. idk. ill give it a shot. cant hurt.
Old 11-09-10, 04:35 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Are the plug wire in the right firing order?
Old 11-10-10, 04:49 AM
williamb82
Advanced

yes the plug wires are in the right firing order. i double checked that a few times as well. btw, just to make sure, the cams timing marks should line up when the crank is at 0 correct? i didnt set the crank wit hthe timing cover off. i put the belt on the crank, the nthe cover and pulley and lined the pulley to 0 before putting the belt on the cams.
Old 11-10-10, 06:49 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by williamb82
yes the plug wires are in the right firing order. i double checked that a few times as well. btw, just to make sure, the cams timing marks should line up when the crank is at 0 correct? i didnt set the crank wit hthe timing cover off. i put the belt on the crank, the nthe cover and pulley and lined the pulley to 0 before putting the belt on the cams.
As long as you set the crank timing mark to zero, either before or after the timing cover and pulley, and then set the timing marks on the cams before putting the belt on you should be set. I hate to say it but you might have to tear it down again to check all the marks. It sounds like you're not too sure about them.

Quick Reply: no power, no engine codes, wtf?