LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Replacing struts with OEM, anything else to get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-10, 02:22 PM
ck90211
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing struts with OEM, anything else to get?

95 LS with 160K miles. Hoping to restore new car ride with new OEM struts. Like to know what else (mount, springs, bumper, bolts, insulator) to get to really do it right. Also considering Arnott/Strutmaster coil spring conversion kit (cheaper than OEM) but fear they may not be as supple as OEM's. So anyone with Arnott/Strutmaster please chime in. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-30-10, 03:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

they arent as good as oem.
please search, this has been discussed at length multiple times.

try searching for *oem shocks(with the * wildcard)
Old 10-30-10, 07:15 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

So you have the factory air system in yours?
You can even search for the Arnott discussion.

Like this one a bit further down on the post list down:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tt-struts.html

Plenty of used parts to be had. Unless the springs have seen ocean conditions and or snow-salted roads, they will be fine in the conversion even with high miles.
Old 10-31-10, 03:28 PM
ck90211
Driver

The 95 I am replacing is regular suspension. Also have a 96 (with Air suspension) that's replaced earlier this year with 4 Arnott rebuilts (Air Shocks). Were just wondering what other parts to get when I order OEM struts. Thanks.
Old 10-31-10, 07:46 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

You shouldn't need anything else but like many aspects of car maintenance, you find out the hard way when it is all apart after hours.

You might consider replacing the sway bar bushings and checking the other bushings in the front suspension.
Old 11-01-10, 01:20 AM
Max Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do the bumpers do exactly?
Old 11-01-10, 01:28 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Are you talking about the bump stops on the strut boots or individually that slide over the strut piston/shaft?

These stop the piston from bottoming out in the tube which may cause the valving to be damaged. If the car is not lowered, this scenario is unlikely. If the car is lowered on struts lower than 2", this might occur, also known as blowing the strut out.
Old 11-01-10, 12:11 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ck90211
The 95 I am replacing is regular suspension. Also have a 96 (with Air suspension) that's replaced earlier this year with 4 Arnott rebuilts (Air Shocks). Were just wondering what other parts to get when I order OEM struts. Thanks.
My '93 has 235,000km and stock (never replaced I suspect) non-air suspension and it's real wallowy and saggy in the rear so I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to put up with it as no noises or leaks right now and only paid $2,500 for the car. But if I do replace and I go with OEM I'm quite positive my springs need replaced and I'd be shocked if your's wasn't the same. Keep us posted on how you make out.
Old 11-01-10, 05:05 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Metallurgy these days is quite good. Leaf springs of time past can sag some, modern coils are quite durable. Unless the springs have seen long term compression due to towing or other extreme factors like corrosion due to environmental situations they are likely good.
Old 11-01-10, 10:51 PM
ck90211
Driver

My 95 got about 160K miles; mainly southern CA freeways so it's not exposed to too much elements (no salt, no sand, not much rain, etc.); it's not lowered or altered, just hoping to get some of the nice supple ride back. My other ride is a 96 LS with newly rebuilt air shocks (by Arnott) so I am probably pickier with ride.

I am debating between sinking more $ into the 95 or finding a decent 98-00. So trying to figure out how much it would be to get the 95 back to riding/driving like new (bushings, mounts, suspension, steering, etc.). 98+ still command a price premium over 95-97, but sure drive nice.

Last edited by ck90211; 11-01-10 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-02-10, 04:11 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
Metallurgy these days is quite good. Leaf springs of time past can sag some, modern coils are quite durable. Unless the springs have seen long term compression due to towing or other extreme factors like corrosion due to environmental situations they are likely good.
Just going from my latest invoice from Lexus:

"Road tested vehicle and vehicle ride is very soft indicating springs being weak. Seems to be sagging and handles poorly"
Old 11-02-10, 06:10 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Can be a number of possibilities in a ride height change accompanied by a soft ride. Bushing wear, dead struts...I would be quite confident that if the springs were removed and tested for load, it would be in spec. Until they are removed and checked against another that type of evaluation is vague. It sure makes the repair bill slant in their favor and the dealers here love to replace parts.

There are cars at the TORC meets on stock springs that have very high miles...I would be highly doubtful of a spring "going soft". Even in my machine shop days, it was one of the jokes with the heat treat guys about "softening steel". With heat treatment one has to really mess it up and Toyota would not have such issues. Well, I take that back...the 460 had a bad batch of valve springs, but those broke. So it can occur.

Getting back to these suspension springs...with as many miles as they have now...if the spring heat treatment were poor, we'd be reading many posts about cars really needed new suspension springs. The sprigs in my Celica are 30 years old...for the infrequent times I have driven it, I don't notice a perceptible change.

Better experiment is to replace the coils with new ones and re-install the old struts. I'd take odds it will feel the same. YMMV and it's your $$ if you want to replace.
Old 11-03-10, 06:54 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RA40
Can be a number of possibilities in a ride height change accompanied by a soft ride. Bushing wear, dead struts...I would be quite confident that if the springs were removed and tested for load, it would be in spec. Until they are removed and checked against another that type of evaluation is vague. It sure makes the repair bill slant in their favor and the dealers here love to replace parts.

There are cars at the TORC meets on stock springs that have very high miles...I would be highly doubtful of a spring "going soft". Even in my machine shop days, it was one of the jokes with the heat treat guys about "softening steel". With heat treatment one has to really mess it up and Toyota would not have such issues. Well, I take that back...the 460 had a bad batch of valve springs, but those broke. So it can occur.

Getting back to these suspension springs...with as many miles as they have now...if the spring heat treatment were poor, we'd be reading many posts about cars really needed new suspension springs. The sprigs in my Celica are 30 years old...for the infrequent times I have driven it, I don't notice a perceptible change.

Better experiment is to replace the coils with new ones and re-install the old struts. I'd take odds it will feel the same. YMMV and it's your $$ if you want to replace.
Thanks - appreciate your input. Sorry to steal the thread a bit but I think I'll do an inspection with the wheels off and if everything appears good I may give new struts only a try & see how that goes. The other day I had 4 in the back seat and it felt like I had 2" of travel with a regular bottoming out so its soft