LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Natural Gas conversion - First Gen?

Old 06-19-12, 08:21 AM
soonerck
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are lots and lots of CNG conversion companies here in the southwest where CNG is plentiful. Also there are CNG kits on EBay and elsewhere on the web.
Old 06-19-12, 11:09 AM
lexfrmtx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be an interesting conversion. I might have to look into it myself. The cost of premium gas is a killer with two cars chugging it down. This could be a nice alterative for driving around town. Found this pdf. Wonder if we can get a group buy pricing started
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
retail-price-list.pdf (260.2 KB, 397 views)
Old 10-28-13, 03:18 PM
ScotLex93
Driver School Candidate

I recently bought a 1993 Lexus LS400 in mint condition. It was a one owner, with 39,000 (genuine) miles on it, a FSH, and additional equipment (one of which is unique to this car). I love this car and had planned to use it as my main car. Sadly I am only getting 17MPG as most of my miles are urban. A full tank lasts me a week, costing £95 to fill with premium petrol…That’s like having a second mortgage (which I can't afford). I am now faced with the dilemma of either selling the car or getting a quality (Italian) LPG conversion fitted which the installers claim should reduce my fuel bill by around 40%. I am keen to hear people’s experiences of the latest LPG conversions, especially those with the same model as me. If what I’ve read about these conversions is true, you get (approximately) 5 miles less per gallon on LPG than you do with petrol, and a very slight drop in power that’s rarely noticeable. The (spare wheel) tank is a bit on the small side and can only be filled to 80% capacity due to the nature of this type of fuel. Not sure what range that gives me but I’m betting it won’t be anywhere near the 350-400miles I need. What’s the average cost of another LPG tank? Any advice or feedback would be appreciated...And what's this about running a car on natural gas? It's news to me.
Old 10-28-13, 10:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ScotLex93
I recently bought a 1993 Lexus LS400 in mint condition. It was a one owner, with 39,000 (genuine) miles on it, a FSH, and additional equipment (one of which is unique to this car). I love this car and had planned to use it as my main car. Sadly I am only getting 17MPG as most of my miles are urban. A full tank lasts me a week, costing £95 to fill with premium petrol…That’s like having a second mortgage (which I can't afford). I am now faced with the dilemma of either selling the car or getting a quality (Italian) LPG conversion fitted which the installers claim should reduce my fuel bill by around 40%. I am keen to hear people’s experiences of the latest LPG conversions, especially those with the same model as me. If what I’ve read about these conversions is true, you get (approximately) 5 miles less per gallon on LPG than you do with petrol, and a very slight drop in power that’s rarely noticeable. The (spare wheel) tank is a bit on the small side and can only be filled to 80% capacity due to the nature of this type of fuel. Not sure what range that gives me but I’m betting it won’t be anywhere near the 350-400miles I need. What’s the average cost of another LPG tank? Any advice or feedback would be appreciated...And what's this about running a car on natural gas? It's news to me.
not sure about the LPG question but I will say that if you bought a 20 year old 4.0Litre car to get good gas mileage then I've got some news for you...
Old 10-29-13, 02:36 AM
ScotLex93
Driver School Candidate

Default Guess I let my heart rather than my head rule when I bought this car

Guess I let my heart rather than my head rule when I bought this car. In my defence the seller did lie about the MPG, and being in the frame of mind I was at the time I choose to believe him LOL. Anyway it's done now. I paid top price for this car given its excellent condition and low mileage. If I spend a further 2,000 pounds on a LPG conversation I have to be sure it's going to deliver in terms of reducing my fuel bills. Regardless of MPG I just want to be in a position where I can afford to run this every day, hence why I'm considering LPG. Also will it still be considered a classic in the near future if I get the LPG conversion, as I know most classic cars need to be in original condition??