LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake pad wear sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-02, 12:37 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pad wear sensors

So I just replaced my front brake pads. Easy job, reused the old shims (I'm not paying $40 for 2 pieces of sheet metal that were still in good condition). Got the pads for $48 from Carson Toyota. Brakes like crazy, much improved and no squeeks yet.

But here's the problem, after having the sensor warning light on the dash for a while, it hasn't gone off after replacing the pads. I had the battery disconnected when I did the job. Is there anything else I need to reset? I don't think I broke either of the sensors, I was careful. The rear pads aren't worn to the sensor yet. Any Ideas? I'm certainly not gonna pay $130 for some silly part that's only worth about $2. Depending on the responses here, maybe I'll try and repair the sensors I have. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-26-02, 05:57 AM
2UX31 YM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my rear brakes the wires on one of the sensors was extremely brittle. I cut the sensor and wired the 2 wires together. Viola!! no more sensor light. My car is a 1993 with 141K on it.
Old 07-29-02, 07:54 PM
FusionMan79
Driver

Any more info on this? So 2UX31, this is a normally closed circuit? (I would have thought it was a normally open circuit and when the sensor hits the rotor the rotor completes the circuit). But if the circuit is normally closed, does this mean the conducter was worn off by the rotor? If so, it was designed to be replaced after signaling. My thought is to just apply a thin layer of solder to the sensor face to complete the circuit and make the sensor functional again. If anyone can give me some definite insight into how this sensor functions I would really appreciate it and I'll let you know if my solution solves the problem. Thanks.
Old 07-30-02, 05:15 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

I've got the same damn problem. I just talked to Angel about it. I didn't think the sensor was going to be that much so if we can find a solution I'll be very happy. Funny how I have no problem spending $$$ on wheels, body kit, new leather, etc. but a ~$100 sensor pisses me off.
Old 07-30-02, 06:14 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Computer might have locked the code. Try disconnecting the battary one more time and if no such luck then you have a bad sensor which needs replacing which would happen if you drove for a while with it on causing the tip of the sensor to wear.
Old 08-06-02, 08:42 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

FusionMan79,

I don't have the answer to your question, but perhaps you can help me out....?

I'm thinking it's time to replace my front pads as well...I'm getting an occassional squeal when braking but no indicator lights are coming on. When the front pads are sufficiently worn, will the wear indicators trigger an idiot light on the dash? I my experience, squealing brakes mean time to check, if the pads look thin then change. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated as I don't know when the front pads were last changed since I bought my LS400 used with 52K miles on it. I am very comfortable working on braking systems (changed 'em all on a Viper and aftermarket brake'd Mustang), I just don't know the Lexus very well.

BTW, what should front pads for a '97 LS400 cost

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Last edited by seanl; 08-06-02 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-07-02, 12:14 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This place sells genuine Lexus parts at wholesale prices.
Front pads are $47.96 a set.

http://www.irontoad.com/Merchant2/me...Code=1997ls400
Old 08-07-02, 01:55 PM
FusionMan79
Driver

Selewis, Just take a look at 'em. Changing the pads on my 93 was one of the easiest things to do (don't know what it's like on the 97). For the 93 I just took the wheel off, loosened one bolt, rotated the caliper up out of the way, secured it, and snapped the brake pads out. You don't even have to pull the pads out to get a good view of pad thickness.

i don't think that squealing on this car means the pads need to be replaced. I recall from driver's ed that some cars have a metal wear sensor on the pad that scrapes against the rotor making that squeal sound when the pads need to be replaced. The lexus pads don't have that. Instead they have an electrical sensor. You may just need more grease on the shims (note: this is special grease from toyota). I wasn't able to get a hold of the grease so I ended up using this sticky red stuff from NAPA (Brake no squeal or something). Haven't had squealing yet. Hope that helps.
Old 08-07-02, 01:57 PM
FusionMan79
Driver

BTW I got my pads from Carson Toyota for $45 a piece, dealer wanted $75.
Old 08-12-02, 08:18 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Default Front pads changed, wear sensor question...

Yesterday I changed the front pads on my '97 LS400...turns out that these front brakes are very similar in design to the last generation Supra's: 4-pistons & top loading. They're also very similar to the Brembo design. Changing the pads was very easy, as was the bleeding process afterwards. I ran two bottles of brake fluid through them since the fluid in the MC was very dark.

I now understand exactly how that wear sensor works, but here's my question: The wear sensor (on pass side, none on driver's side) was definitely 'bitten into ' by the rotor, yet the BRAKE warning light never turned on. Looks to me like the wear sensor has a pretty deep groove cut into it, as my pads were pretty worn with 3-4mm left of material. Sounds like I should probably replace the sensor eventually....

Thoughts/comments?

Last edited by seanl; 08-12-02 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-20-02, 01:17 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I HAVE THE ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION!

the brake sensors on a lexus work like this. there is 2 connections that are separated by a core. when your brake pads are worn out, the sensors rub on your brake pads and cause the contacts on the sensors to touch. once that happens, you HAVE to replace the sensors. sucks, but that's the way it goes. and how do i know???? my dad's LS had the same problem, so been there, done that.
Old 08-20-02, 10:55 AM
seanl
Intermediate

I had a feeling that the wear sensor was a 'consumable'....

Thanks.
Old 08-21-02, 07:44 AM
FusionMan79
Driver

I repaired my wear sensors, no more warning light. At $120 each for a consumable, I'd rather disable the system like 2UX31 YM did. But by simply adding a layer of solder to the face of the sensor, contact was restored and the sensor should function as it did before. When the sensor hits the rotor and wears off the solder, contact will be broken again causing the warning light.

If any of you try this let me know. And make sure to disconnect the battery after you're done to reset the ecu and clear the warning. I hope everyone finds this useful. It's a far better solution than spending $240.
Old 08-21-02, 06:55 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

You're the MAN!!!!! Now I have a project for this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, thank you.

Originally posted by FusionMan79
I repaired my wear sensors, no more warning light. At $120 each for a consumable, I'd rather disable the system like 2UX31 YM did. But by simply adding a layer of solder to the face of the sensor, contact was restored and the sensor should function as it did before. When the sensor hits the rotor and wears off the solder, contact will be broken again causing the warning light.

If any of you try this let me know. And make sure to disconnect the battery after you're done to reset the ecu and clear the warning. I hope everyone finds this useful. It's a far better solution than spending $240.
Old 08-21-02, 09:24 PM
FusionMan79
Driver

No problem man. Just be aware that when you're applying the solder it won't really want to stick to the sensor. You've gotta get a lot of solder on the iron and just kind of spread it over the face of the sensor. After it cools, it will be stuck to the sensor.

Quick Reply: Brake pad wear sensors