LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Picked up a LS400 for the wife off Craigslist

Old 10-24-10, 10:56 AM
MOswagga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a LS400 for the wife off Craigslist

I told the wife lets add more meat to the great marriage that we have so I said lets work on having more in common. I love cars so we said lets get her a project and since I have a 92 SC300 we said lets get her an old school Lex. Got her a 91 Ls400 with a blown HG for $900. I started to tell them to keep the wheels and try to bring the price down some but I didn't feel like taking them off so I just kept them but they are for sale on craigslist now.

The body is tight, it was green from the factory but has been painted black so i plan to go back green sometime. Wheels have to go and the seats are beat but the dash and door panels are straight.

I plan to find a engine and tranny for it by november. As far as I can see the engine was changed once and I cant speak fort he tranny yet but I will be changing it along with the engine so that I know she is tight.

Its gonna feel real good to pull up to car spots and shows with the wife behind me in a nice VIP LS and yes our Min Pin Enzo will be with us.

If anyone wants to buy some ugly 20's for cheap get at me.
Old 10-24-10, 11:12 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS400 bodies seem to hold up very well, especially the first gen ones!

Congrats!

What's the mileage?

When you do swap these out take as many pics as you can ...videos would be even more awesome!

Try to beat this one: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=28973

It's a like from a forum I used to frequent often because I used to be a Volvo man.
Old 10-24-10, 03:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

congrats on the pickup, how do yo know the HG is gone?

if it's just smoke....go search for the PS fix.
Old 10-24-10, 08:57 PM
Scaritto
Driver School Candidate

Man those rims seem like they'd be painful to ride on. There's like no tire there!
Old 10-25-10, 05:24 AM
MOswagga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
congrats on the pickup, how do yo know the HG is gone?

if it's just smoke....go search for the PS fix.
No power, over heats, ping in engine, water in the tail pipes, steams when hot, sluggish start. My friends wants to do a compression test on it but its not worth the time. Plus its for my ol lady so I wanna put a fresh engine and trans in it so I know she has some good wings under her. I dont want her on the side of the road ever, you know what I mean.
Old 10-25-10, 05:28 AM
MOswagga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Scaritto
Man those rims seem like they'd be painful to ride on. There's like no tire there!
Man I wanna sell the wheels ,cause they aren't my style. And the tire on the front driver is a onion dude so it looks like a 235/10/20 or something, lol. The wire shows and everything but the meat is thicker on the rest of the car. It was female owned so you know how that can go sometimes. Ride it til the wheels fall off. Literally
Old 10-27-10, 08:49 AM
acidfire52
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to have it checked. A blown HG is very rare on these cars.
Old 10-27-10, 11:48 AM
MOswagga
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by acidfire52
You might want to have it checked. A blown HG is very rare on these cars.
Im damn sure its blown. due to the fact that the waterpump and thermostat had been changed by a friend of the you lady I purchased the car from. Also the cooling fans dont work and were straight wired when I picked up the car leading me to think they failed and she kept on driving, blowing the headgasket and with new fluids, a newer radiator, (i think that poped from heating also) a new water pump and thermo, and the fans wired straight it still heats and runs like **** and blows steam and water on the ground.

Im in the process of fixing all the small stuff thats wrong now, like the tilt wheel for GP and repairing the twin cooling fans so that when I put a engine in that I know they wont be a problem.