LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 11:51 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

RennList had an interesting discussion on oil recently, read the Doug Hillary posts.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...4&page=3&pp=15
Old 04-25-07, 09:47 AM
1996LS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Oil?

I know that Mobil 1 is the bid dog on synthetic oil, but any comments on Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic? Advance Auto Parts has Buy 1 Get 1 Free and I was wondering if it's worth stocking up on.
Old 04-25-07, 09:50 AM
pito
Lead Lap

Well penzoil has a good rep. I have used valvoline max life before with good results.
Old 04-25-07, 12:01 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That is what my Lexus Dealer recommends is Penzoil. I myself put Valvaline full SYN in my car. I have been wanting to try the Full SYN Penzoil though.
Old 04-25-07, 12:27 PM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

Traditional Pennzoil is parafin-based oil (yes, wax), not petroleum-based like other oils out there (castrol, valvoline, mobil). I can't speak for the Pennzoil synthetic stuff, but I'd never run regular Pennzoil in my car.
Old 04-25-07, 03:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

mobil 1 or amsoil for me thnx

just never heard anything bad about their regular oils (aside from amsoil obviously as they dont sell any)

wouldnt run penszoil.
Old 04-25-07, 07:58 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am with Pure on this one - I have used Mobil1 Syn for years and it is bulletproof. Great oil with great detergents.
Old 04-26-07, 02:16 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oil is usually a very emotional purchase, meaning folks often choose a brand due to loyalty rather than actual scientific evidence. Or they have heard "well, my friend used such and such oil, and his engine blew up." Well, gee, it's likely not the oil, but people attribut a false causality (and casualty!) to an event.

Go to Bob's site--he is the absolute reference for oil. More than you'll ever want to know, from actual testing:
http://bobistheoilguy.com
Old 04-26-07, 02:37 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Bob is the Oil Guy is the best reference.

I read a lot about the German Castrol 0W30 before I switched to it from Mobil 1 0W40, but that Castrol can be hard to find (sold at AutoZone).

From what I have read about the Platinum, this is an extremely good and advanced oil, especially from the point of oil analyses I have seen.

Personally, I wouldn't use Mobil 1 again except if I had no other option available.

Amsoil is also a good oil.
Old 04-26-07, 05:32 PM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm a big fan of using regular oil and changing it very often. IMO you keep things sludge-free and cleaner that way. I run Castrol GTX 20w-50 in my "race car" and I change it every 2,000 miles religiously.

I plan to run the same oil in my LS400 and change it every 3,000 miles religiously. I'm not about to put synthetic oil in an engine that has 225k on it.
Old 04-27-07, 06:35 PM
Heepspo
Rookie

Penzoil is the the most popular "junk" oil out there. I've heard/seen nothing but poor information, reviews and word of mouth for YEARS!

Why take a chance with it? Buy some synthetic Mobil, Amsoil, etc. and you'll have the best protection you can get.

I like Amsoil full sythetic the best. It's reasonably priced and ALWAYS at or near the top in nearly every test I've seen.
Old 04-29-07, 11:57 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default $.02

I have noticed when I use synthetic oil my rear main seal leaks. It took me about three years to see this. I had changed my oil and deided to use synthetic shortly aftermy car started to leak...quite a bit I drove for about 3 4 months adding oil as needed, and the leak over that time period slowed down. I asked my mechanic about the leak he said rear main seal $600 just to drop the tranny. when I changed my oil again, I used regular (castrol) oil with a seal conditioner. over time the leak stoppedbut I didin't really notice it, now its been a couple years since then I didn't really put it together about the synthetic oil and the leak, until I changed my oil last month and used a synthetic. Within a week my oil light was on I was a quart low. the leak has again slowed to just afew dripps here and there, but thats my lesson learned.
Old 04-29-07, 12:05 PM
CptnTonus
Lexus Test Driver

Synthetic oil tends to be thinner/more slippery, thus it makes it easier to leak past seals and such. A lot of times pesky oil leaks can be remedied by switching to non-synthetic, or just using thicker oil.
Old 04-29-07, 09:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I have noticed when I use synthetic oil my rear main seal leaks. It took me about three years to see this. I had changed my oil and deided to use synthetic shortly aftermy car started to leak...quite a bit I drove for about 3 4 months adding oil as needed, and the leak over that time period slowed down. I asked my mechanic about the leak he said rear main seal $600 just to drop the tranny. when I changed my oil again, I used regular (castrol) oil with a seal conditioner. over time the leak stoppedbut I didin't really notice it, now its been a couple years since then I didn't really put it together about the synthetic oil and the leak, until I changed my oil last month and used a synthetic. Within a week my oil light was on I was a quart low. the leak has again slowed to just afew dripps here and there, but thats my lesson learned.
what weight oil are you using?

i had a similar issue in my old '95 where when i was using 5w-30 synthetic it would burn a bit of oil but as soon as i switched to 10w-30 it was fine

my '99 just got a change today with Mobil1 oil+filet
Old 02-04-08, 09:24 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question What type of oil is best???

Ok so I just bought my 1997 LS400 a little over a month ago and only changed the oil once at a Jiffy Lube. I kind of want to start changing the oil myself again because all of the changing places including dealerships don't seem too trustworthy to me.

My car has 136k miles and I used the Castrol High Mileage oil.

Should I keep using this? Or switch to a Synthetic blend? Or go Full Synthetic?

I've read I should use 5W-30 and not 10W-30 in the 1UZFE. Is there a specific reason for this??

And what is the best type of fluid for the differential. I'd like to change that out too.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Quick Reply: What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)