LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)

Old 10-01-03, 12:55 PM
jbatast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean by lower setting. Are you talking coil overs or just regular Bilstein struts, just like those that came on the Lexus
Old 10-01-03, 05:40 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by jbatast
What do you mean by lower setting. Are you talking coil overs or just regular Bilstein struts, just like those that came on the Lexus
The bilstein struts has a snap ring that holds the lower spring mount onto the strut ( it is not a welded on mount like the stock struts) it has a high position and another a 1/2 lower ......just remove it and put it in the lower groove...........This is not here say I installed the Springs and Struts myself!
Old 10-23-03, 12:47 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We have this L-Sportline (1995-2000) spring/shock combo on special right now, normally 1240, we have them for $600 for a very limited time.

PM if you are interested...
Old 02-17-04, 05:36 PM
jbatast
Driver School Candidate

Default I want to cry here to

Hello!

I realy want to cry> Ispend months researching the right springs and struts combo. I spent five hundred dollars on new springs (Eibach 1" and stock struts) after months of savings. I research the mechanic and on February 14th (my Valentine day massacre) we installed the parts.

NOW I WANT TO CRY! Why?

1.) The right rear strut is defective. It makes an odd vibration when it is compressed...almost like there is a pepple in the strut cahmber.

2.) The right rear strut near the strut mount makea a God awful noise when I hit a bump in the road. NOTE - When we assemble the spring/strut combination before installation...I notice that the there was very little spring compression....that is you could wiggle the spring....the mechaic said not to wotty about since the weight of the care will load it down.

3.) The left rear makes a little noise whne it hit a big bumpt...again like the spring is rattaling around in there.

4.) The mechanic said don't worry that the struts are making contact with the strut bumper...that is why its there. I am worried....

PLEASE help.. I am crushed by this......I will say the front is great....good compression and all.....the back is problem. Further, the handling is awseome. Real good....no dip at all when turining.

I NEED ADVICE --- And do not tell me to stop crying......
Old 02-17-04, 06:03 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first of all... lowered springs and stock struts is the biggest waste of money.. beause you gotta go with aftermarket struts when you lower your car.. you are asking for trouble when you dont. Also depending on the mileage, you might have wanted to chagne the strut mounts as well. PLus when you drop the car.. you hear a bunch of clunking and popping that you've never heard before, its almost safe to say its normal.. It's happening to me as well, unless you change every darn bushing or ball joint there is...

its all a matter of how much mileage you got

btw, 500 for the Eibachn springs? I got mine new for 250.. sorry man, i dunno what to tell you
Old 02-17-04, 07:06 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

NOT TO WORRY, IT IS FIXABLE

I've used stock struts with cut and lowering springs...sometimes you can get away with it, you take your chance. The recco is to get performance units to match the springs. From what you describe, I'd exchange the right rear, this may eliminate the problem all together.

BUT....

The spring should not be loose in the assembly...there is something wrong with that. How is the ride height in the back? (It is important to take a pre-measurement to check ride height before and after install.)

The bump stop should not be bottoming out, usually these are cut an appropriate amount to compensate for lowering springs. If it is at bottom, you have no suspension travel and this was indicated by a loose spring in the assembly. Was a front spring accidentally installed in back? (I dunno if this is possible as the fit would be obvious.) The part #'s all match for your application?

Some cars do creak and groan but in most cases, it is other suspension parts showing their wear. Check the bushings and such. How many miles on your car?

What year do you have?
Old 02-17-04, 09:00 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

jbatast, What year is this LS and what kind of struts are on it ???????????
Old 02-17-04, 09:57 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lexkost
jbatast, What year is this LS and what kind of struts are on it ???????????
he said they are stock, so i'm guessing lexus oem, i'm guessing thats the problem
Old 02-18-04, 06:27 AM
jbatast
Driver School Candidate

Brand new stock oem on all 4 corners....1997 with 75k
Old 02-19-04, 08:26 PM
Rice
Pole Position

jbatast,
I also hav ea 97, but with twice the mileage. Sorry to hear about your trouble. It seems that you only have a problem in the rear. If you insist on better handling, then get 2 aftermarket struts for the rear and leave the front as is. Your handling will be even better than it is now and you won't feel as much harshness since the front struts are still stock.
As far as your suspension bushings showing ware, I think that at 75K miles they should still be in good shape (unless it's an NYC car).
Oh, almost forgot... Find another mechanic!
If this guy tells you that it's normal for the springs to be loose or for the car to bottom out all the time, he obviously doesn't give a !@#$ about you or your car. And if he does, then he just isn't qualified to even look at your ride, much less F@#$K with it!

Let us know how it works out.
Old 04-05-04, 04:21 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

The Eibach springs in the rear will bind when compressed...going over bumps and such, it is the spring compressing on itself. Todd and I discovered that when we took mine for a test ride. Eibach should enclose insulators to place on the second coil. He removed the rears and wrapped an insulator around it and the noise was gone. No problem with the front.
Old 04-05-04, 12:29 PM
jbatast
Driver School Candidate

Thanks....can you tell me where you put on the bottom insulator and what you used.....that would be great because the noise is anoying. Also, where did you hear the noise from...mine seem to come from the top, but I suspect it is traveling

Jon
Old 04-05-04, 12:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Jon-

It is the second coil that will bind on the top and third windings so wrapping it up, eliminates the noise. I don't know what the material is, Todd at TM Engineering had some so he applied it. The better suspension shops should have some sort of insulator to wrap around the spring.

If sitting in the back, it comes from each side of the strut tower mount. When you hear it from the drivers seat, it seems to be random but sitting inthe back seat, it is localized on each side.

You may try emailing or calling him:
todd@tmengineering.net
310 537-6800

I'm going to call Eibach and complain about this. Tein and HR have a rubber material that is on the top windings so that this does not happen. EIbach just ships bare springs.
Old 04-07-04, 06:17 PM
wheel
Driver School Candidate

Jon,

I have the same problem before. RA 40 is right. Call Eibach, they will send you the "tub" no charge. take the Eibach out, put the "tub" in and problem go amay

Mike
Old 04-08-04, 05:22 PM
jbatast
Driver School Candidate

Hi...

I called Eibach and asked for a tub.....they don't know what a tub is...Can you describe what a tub is and who you talked to....this noise is driving me nuts....

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What type of oil do you use? (The Mother thread)