LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Drivers Seatbelt Tension gone

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-02, 07:33 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drivers Seatbelt Tension gone

Hey All

Well I checked the site and could not find one thread discussing my problem.

The tension in my drives Seatbelt is almost gone. The belts just kindda hangs over me not doing much good. Every once in a while it will retracts and tensions up on me like one normally should. When I go to get out of the car I push the belt down the slot and it will retract itself but if I don't it will just hang there.

Obviously the is not very safe for me and need to get this fixed. Any suggestions out there?

Thank Jerry
Old 07-21-02, 09:54 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I feel your pain

My 94 LS has the same problem.. there's no tension what so ever.. sometimes I can make it retract and pull it just enough so there is some tension, but it is still lacking..
Old 07-22-02, 04:21 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why don't you go to a dealer and get this part replaced. I can nopt currently help you with the part # since I am out of the country but that is not something you want to save on.
Old 07-22-02, 04:22 AM
jgrooms
Driver

I had this same problem once and it turned out to be a buildup of dirt and crud in the top bracket that the belt slides through. I cleaned it and now it works as good as new.

- J
Old 07-24-02, 02:03 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

Well the top braket is cleen. Maybe its the bottom pully?

Does anyone know how to easily take of the outer housing?
Old 07-24-02, 04:10 PM
paradox
Rookie

I believe -and I might be mistaken here- but seatbelts are warranteed for the life of the car. Federal law mandates that the dealer perform all necessary fixes for all seatbelt issues, so maybe a call to the dealer to confirm that might be in order. Hopefully that holds true!
Hey, Horta... status report? How's the car running? Everything holding up well with it? I'm gonna look at a 92 LS on Mon.... 105K miles and the dude is asking 11.5K for it. Man, I never knew so many dishonest people existed until I started shopping for an older car. Salvage title cars, flood damaged cars, man, you name it, they'll try to sell it to ya! And with the most sincere expression on their faces too.
Old 07-24-02, 04:42 PM
Horta
Lead Lap

The car is AWSOME, I will give a full post later. Going to watch Meet the folks then Big Brother.

By the way the $11.5 seems a little high unless the car is just steller! I mean Full Lexus service history and leather and carpet perfect.

I would Say $10 - $10.5 is a good price.

Also Ask if the Timeing belt has been change cause if not it may need to be soon, I'll explain in detail later.

Jerry
Old 07-24-02, 08:11 PM
Supra94Red
Driver School Candidate

I've got the same problem on my 93 passenger side seat belt.
The seat belt will retract only if I push the release button. I
went to the Lexus dealer and they told me about 400bux in
parts. WTF!!!
Old 03-21-04, 09:25 PM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Supra94Red
I've got the same problem on my 93 passenger side seat belt.
The seat belt will retract only if I push the release button. I
went to the Lexus dealer and they told me about 400bux in
parts. WTF!!!
ahh yes i have this problem too.. they told me the same thing, that they just replace the whole thing, so its about 400 did anyone figure out a solution to this problem ie opening it up and cleaning it ??

and what about the warnatee for the seatbelts ??
i got a service appointment tommrow morning
Old 03-22-04, 05:11 AM
98 LS
Driver School Candidate

On my previous car ......... 1990 Acura Legend ....... I had the same problem and found out that Acura is the only manufacturer who warrantees their seatbelts for the life of the car. They replaced the entire mechanism and belt for no cost, parts or labor.
Old 03-22-04, 07:28 AM
Kash
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh, how very lame..
Old 03-22-04, 02:59 PM
clark
Driver School Candidate

Default You need to replace it.

It happened to me. You just need to replace it with a new one. I am sure that Carson Toyota can give you a good price. There is a spring in the tension side that has probably broken. I believe my cost for the the seat belt was approximately $125. The spring is unique in the retracting mechanism. You may want to try used parts but I am sure it won't last like a new part.
Old 12-05-05, 06:19 PM
Texus LS4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by paradox
I believe -and I might be mistaken here- but seatbelts are warranteed for the life of the car. Federal law mandates that the dealer perform all necessary fixes for all seatbelt issues, so maybe a call to the dealer to confirm that might be in order. Hopefully that holds true!
Originally Posted by Kash
and what about the warnatee for the seatbelts ??
Sorry to bump a very old topic but I have also had this problem very recently (driver side seatbelt won't retract) . Does anyone have anymore information about a seatbelt warranty? I've read Acura isn't the only one with a lifetime warranty (a quick google search showed that Infiniti & Subaru had them too).
Old 12-05-05, 06:48 PM
Gunthaa
Driver School Candidate

Hmm, my 95 had this problem, we complained and said it was a safety problem, we got em fixed for free. However, it couldnt have hurt that we had just done the 90k service and got 2000+ of new rims & tires put on at the same time. Just get buddy buddy with a service dude there. Or else its 400 bucks like said before.

For a temporary fix, buckle the seatbelt up, and then click the button and then buckle it up again real quick. Welcome to club lexus btw.
Old 12-05-05, 07:43 PM
Texus LS4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gunthaa
Hmm, my 95 had this problem, we complained and said it was a safety problem, we got em fixed for free.

Just get buddy buddy with a service dude there.
Yeah I've had a great relationship with Lexus over the years. That's why I love the brand so much: you're not just getting the car, you're getting the great customer support & friendliness that comes with it. Unlike other dealers, you can talk to their people without having to go off on a rant to come to a compromise. Anway I found this at another car board:
"I also thought seat belts were under lifetime warranty due to liability issues ie) the car manufacturer doesn't want to get sued in the event the seat belt fails in an accident.
When I brought my old Infiniti in for service (the warranty had expired long ago) they replaced the seat belt for free even though the damage was caused by a chewing dog..."

It's a very good arguement. I doubt Lexus would want to be liable for seat belt failure. I'll just talk to em an explain how it's a safety issue and how unsafe I feel while driving. Hopefully they will be understanding enough. I'm a full-time, un-employed college student (taking 16 hours this semester) and frankly $400 is way too much for me to afford right now. I know people say "you can't put a price on your safety" and I agree, but the way I look at it the part shouldn't have malfunctioned in the first place since it's probably the most imporant safety item in the car.

For a temporary fix, buckle the seatbelt up, and then click the button and then buckle it up again real quick.
I'll try that. Tomorrow I'm gonna pry open the panel and take a look at the retractor and springs and whatever else is behind there. I was going to do it today but it was already too dark (damn daylight savings time!). I wanna get this repaired ASAP

Welcome to club lexus btw.
thanks for the warm welcome

Quick Reply: Drivers Seatbelt Tension gone