LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Somethings leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-10, 10:48 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somethings leaking

So, I've noticed my car is leaking, something, from the engine. When pressed my finger on the pavement to examine it, it was a light brown color, so I'm guessing its oil?

But, the power steering is getting a bit stiff when I put the car in reverse, and then drive. So I'm guessing its the fluid for the power steering?

Not sure what it is, gonna get it checked tomorrow.

I talked with this guy who had a 94 lexus gs, and something about the pump having to be replaced and the cost to fix it being $800.

Should I be expecting the same amount for my ls, or will it be more/less?
Old 09-22-10, 06:05 AM
AoiHeiwa
Driver School Candidate

I'd say that $800 quote sounds about right, I was quoted around that for my '90 LS when I thought mine was going bad.

If the fluid on the ground is a light brown color wouldn't it be your oil (depending on when it was changed it could be darker), and wouldn't PS fluid be a somewhat pink color? Try refilling your PS fluid reservoir and keep an eye on it for the next few days...
Old 09-23-10, 11:17 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Yeah, it was a light brown color when I looked at it, nowhere near the color pink. Ok, so my oil is leaking. Not sure why, but its leaking a bit. I gotta figure out why and get that fixed, and get some PS fluid also. I'll take a look at it this weekend and see whats up.
Old 09-24-10, 07:50 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Incredible
Yeah, it was a light brown color when I looked at it, nowhere near the color pink. Ok, so my oil is leaking. Not sure why, but its leaking a bit. I gotta figure out why and get that fixed, and get some PS fluid also. I'll take a look at it this weekend and see whats up.
Not too hard to figure where something is leaking from. Wherever you see it dripping from the bottom, just follow the trail of oil upward. You're gonna have to take off the lower engine cover (I hate that thing) to see where the drip is b/c with it on the oil just flows to different areas. It still could be power steering fluid even though it's not pink.
Taste it, see what it is.
Old 09-24-10, 08:40 AM
NisMax
Rookie

Did you check your rear main seal?
Old 09-24-10, 09:19 AM
Dutch
Pole Position

well, if you havent had a power steering flush in a long time (or added any fluid)then the fluid would be a dark dirty red, regardless the fluid isnt pink, a dark red (the LS uses ATF for pwr steering fluid) and if it is then it could be coming from the rack, a line, or the pump, the rack is common. if it is oil ive seen the front main seal leak, but it doesnt leak alot, it could possibly be coolant running down the front of the block from the water pump and getting dirty. my suggestion, check your fluid levels, that will give you a good idea of where to look if you have a low quantity from a certain reservoir or dipstick