LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Where do you mount your cellphone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 06:59 PM
JimBright
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you mount your cellphone?

I just got my 98 LS 400 and put my 01 Merc E430 sport up for sale. I bought my Merc in 2003 with 30K miles on it and honestly my LS 400 with 120K is tighter, no rattles, better feeling car. I love it.

But here's my question. The Merc had an incredible stow away cup holder system that I modified to be a cellphone holder. It was a thing of beauty and engineering that Mercedes themselves couldn't have come up with *LOL, patting myself on the back here*

But where do you put your cellphone in the LS 400? So much nice wood trim and the interior is just so beautiful compared to the merc I feel it would be shameful to stick something to it.

Ideas? Pictures?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-10, 09:40 PM
valex
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a `99LS and i usually put my phone into the pop-out cupholder.
Old 09-01-10, 10:28 PM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in Europe Lexus could supply you with this:

You can mount it next to your radio/astray on the dash

Too bad this one doesn't fit on mine, And I think it's even mirrored (RHD)
Old 09-02-10, 05:35 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

What on earthis that?
Old 09-02-10, 06:14 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

i took the ashtray out and cut off the cigarette holder part of it and just stick my phone in the ashtray. works great. right next to the lighter outlet if i need to use my charger. mine is a 93 though.
Old 09-02-10, 06:27 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by valex
I have a `99LS and i usually put my phone into the pop-out cupholder.
It's not the best but it works.
Old 09-02-10, 09:52 AM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
What on earthis that?
That sir, is something you can mount a carkit on, or a oldskool car telephone.

I'm trying to find a picture of it on a car.

EDIT: something like this:

Old 09-02-10, 04:50 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

My phone is on a Kuda leather phone base in the cradle of a hands free phone kit that charges the phone and automatically mutes the radio when the phone rings or a call is made - photo is attached.

I keep putting off installing a Bluetooth phone kit in my 00 LS but if/when I do, I'll install a Bury System 9 charging cradle on the Kuda phone base. Bury supplies Toyota/Lexus with components for the Toyota and Lexus Bluetooth Complementary Kit that is available in many other countries for most Toyota and Lexus models - I have a photo handy of the one for the 2010 RX450h so I'll post that. Bury charging cradles for a number of Bluetooth phone models are available on eBay for around $70 each for the base and interchangeable charging cradles.
Attached Thumbnails Where do you mount your cellphone?-low-res-passenger-side-view.jpg   Where do you mount your cellphone?-2010-rx-bluetooth-complementary-kit.jpg  
Old 09-02-10, 05:59 PM
JimBright
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
My phone is on a Kuda leather phone base in the cradle of a hands free phone kit that charges the phone and automatically mutes the radio when the phone rings or a call is made - photo is attached.

I keep putting off installing a Bluetooth phone kit in my 00 LS but if/when I do, I'll install a Bury System 9 charging cradle on the Kuda phone base. Bury supplies Toyota/Lexus with components for the Toyota and Lexus Bluetooth Complementary Kit that is available in many other countries for most Toyota and Lexus models - I have a photo handy of the one for the 2010 RX450h so I'll post that. Bury charging cradles for a number of Bluetooth phone models are available on eBay for around $70 each for the base and interchangeable charging cradles.

I like the Kuda mount. Which model did you buy since I don't believe they make one for the LS 400.
Old 09-02-10, 07:15 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JimBright
I like the Kuda mount. Which model did you buy since I don't believe they make one for the LS 400.
Of course Kuda makes phone mounts for the LS400. My car IS an LS400 -- a 2000. You can view and order Kuda mounts at http://www.kudausa.com/ . They are fairly inexpensive and very high quality. The ivory leather on my Kuda is almost a perfect match to the leather in my LS and looks OEM.

The photos of the non-navigation LS400 on the Kuda website are photos of my car -- they needed photos of their mount in a non-nav LS400 so I sent them some.
Old 09-02-10, 08:21 PM
IBJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas

Hello Kansas:

Could you place direct me to where I might find the model holder and specifications?
Old 09-03-10, 04:14 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IBJ
Hello Kansas: Could you place direct me to where I might find the model holder and specifications?
If you mean the Bury phone cradle components, search the phone section of eBay for "Bury". You might also find Bury components and the Bury website by doing a google search.

The Bury system nine consists of two components. A base plate and interchangeable cradles that snap on to the base plate so different phones can be used. Most of the snap-in cradles have an antenna connection for better reception but some phones like the iPhone do not support an external antenna so you are stuck with poorer reception while you are in the car if you are far from cell phone towers.

Attached is a Bury system 9 brochure. They have other products including the System 8 cradle system. The cradles are more available for phones popular in Europe but are available for many phones sold in the U.S.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bury System-9 phone cradles.pdf (426.6 KB, 513 views)