LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Starter on its Way Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 08:45 PM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Starter on its Way Out

1992 Lexus LS400 - 275k.....

Original starter......Bendix is starting to make strange noises....when I first start the car in the morning....after it is warm up.....& on re-start it is not as severe.....

I am not looking forward to this repair at all.
Old 08-25-10, 08:51 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You've done well with this mileage on the starter. If the rest of the car is doing well... Lots of work so at least you'll be able to replace the plenum gaskets and other areas that can benefit from some freshening while it is accessible.
Old 08-26-10, 06:44 AM
v12mac
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly it isn't that bad of a job. Lots of steps but there are plenty of tips and tricks out there to make it a nice weekend project.
Old 08-26-10, 07:50 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Check this out:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...arter-lol.html
Old 08-26-10, 08:12 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

might i suggest knock sensors and knock sensor connectors as well
Old 09-02-10, 08:38 PM
LS400Mike
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by 5ofakind
1992 Lexus LS400 - 275k.....

Original starter......Bendix is starting to make strange noises....when I first start the car in the morning....after it is warm up.....& on re-start it is not as severe.....

I am not looking forward to this repair at all.
I just got this job done. It's my second time. My advice is to just start taking it apart. It is kinda intimidating at first, but once you get into it, it gets pretty easy. Keep a finger on every nut, bolt, or washer while your removing it, because it is easy to drop and lose something important. Get the gasket kit if you can, but I used gasket maker on one and it worked fine. You only have to remove two lines from the fuel rail, the one that goes to the upper intake manifold, and the one that goes to the fuel pump (it appears to go down the firewall. Don't waste time taking things apart you don't have to( I removed all the fuel rail components the first time). The final step before removing the starter will be to remove the coolant bridge near the firewall. You will need to remove this. No combination of tools would remove those bolts for me without removing the bridge (I had access to a large snap on tool collection including the elusive "ratcheting crowfoot"). It will be a pain to get to the starter bolts even now. You might even have to bend the egr pipe (bronzish looking pipe that attaches to the back of the upper intake manifold). Don't worry I have a trick to get it back in place when you put it together. When you are just about done, and you are swearing you butt off trying to get the egr pipe reattached to the upper intake manifold, count to ten and grab some scrap wood. Wedge a couple pieces of thin scrap behind the egr pipe and wedge it as close to the manifold as you can. It will be easier to thread the bolts if your not wrestling with that thing.

Also don't be afraid to remove some of the bolts holding the wiring harness in place and twist it around a little. You got to be a little ruff with it at times to fit your tools in where the bolts are.

Those are some of the things I wished someone had shared with me before I did it for the first time. I am no mechanic, but I got the job done in 3 4 hour days. Most of the time was spent just removing the two bolt on the starter lol.

Last edited by LS400Mike; 09-02-10 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-02-10, 09:37 PM
iamviolet
Rookie

get your starter from partsdotcom
Old 09-05-10, 07:11 AM
5ofakind
Driver

A local shop here in San Diego...recommended lowering the transmisssion a bit so that one can get the starter bolts out as they are very long bolts.....otherwise they will hit the back firewall on the way out.....

Has anyone tried this method.....???

Can anyone recommend a rebuild kit......with heavy duty contacts or brushes, plunger, & solenoid ???

Thanks in Advance.....
Old 09-05-10, 09:58 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you shouldnt have to drop the transmission. done it on a 95 ls400 and its pretty straight forward.
Old 09-07-10, 06:27 AM
5ofakind
Driver

I wasnt talking about dropping out the transmission, but only lowering or tilting it somewhat to extract the long bolts.

Can anyone recommend a rebuild kit......with heavy duty contacts or brushes, plunger, & solenoid ???
Old 09-07-10, 07:36 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 5ofakind
I wasnt talking about dropping out the transmission, but only lowering or tilting it somewhat to extract the long bolts.

the factory parts lasted 10 plus years....... so the factory kit should be sufficient, I used them and they fit perfect, also we did not remove the entire starter, just the motor to clear the path to the plunger and contacts.
good luck on yours.

Last edited by billydpowe; 09-07-10 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-07-10, 08:13 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

when i pulled a starter at the junkyard, i used my 24in extension and a 9in extension. undid the trans cross member to let it down and used the ratchet back by the rear of the trans like i would for the trans bolts. had the starter bolts out in like 5min. luckily someone else had pulled the upper and lower intakes already but couldnt figure out how to remove the starter. even had the power wire removed. lol. its not as bad as you think when you know the "tricks" to it.
Old 09-08-10, 12:22 PM
5ofakind
Driver

Reputable local auto electric shop wants $ 120 to rebuild my starter or a brand new one ( maybe rebuilt ) for $150....What do you suggest.....I only want to do this job once......

'92 Ls400 - 275k miles on it.....
Old 09-08-10, 06:58 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you only want to do it once, I believe Carson has a new OEM starter for under $200...
Old 09-22-10, 05:31 AM
v12mac
Rookie

Originally Posted by williamb82
when i pulled a starter at the junkyard, i used my 24in extension and a 9in extension. undid the trans cross member to let it down and used the ratchet back by the rear of the trans like i would for the trans bolts. had the starter bolts out in like 5min. luckily someone else had pulled the upper and lower intakes already but couldnt figure out how to remove the starter. even had the power wire removed. lol. its not as bad as you think when you know the "tricks" to it.
A junk yard let you pull a starter out of this motor? Did they make you put the motor all back together?

Quick Reply: Starter on its Way Out