LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help Needed! Crunching/Creaking suspension when breaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 06:59 PM
Lex4RDNY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed! Crunching/Creaking suspension when breaking

Hey guys. I tried my best searching on the forums before asking but to no avail i cant pinpoint the problem.I just bought my 1-owner 96 last year which had been kept in tip-top shape.

Now, every time i press on the breaks i can feel & hear this crunching noise coming from front suspension. It started a couple months ago & seems to be getting louder. I dont hear anything while driving but a soon as i come to a stop,its present.U can also hear it once I let my foot off the breaks.

Searching the forums i thought it maybe its my lower controls arms but now i dont thinks so because wouldnt i hear something while in motion?

I just want to kno what u guys think before i go spending $$ trying to diagnose & fix this.

Last edited by Lex4RDNY; 08-25-10 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 12:18 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

most likely it's the front strut bar bushings. search for those.
Old 08-26-10, 05:05 AM
bornpeace
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check ur sway bar bushing (not strut bar). Check ur upper and lower control arm bushing, together with the ball joints. It may be time to replace all, if the noise is rubber like noise. check ur strut too? do u know they recommend to change them every 50k.
Old 08-26-10, 05:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

BS now where does ANYONE say you should replace your OEM struts every 50k miles

the OEM LS400 dampers are known to last well over 80k miles...with many going over 100k...
Old 08-26-10, 06:31 AM
Lex4RDNY
Driver School Candidate

Yea it kinda is a rubber sounding noise.

Originally Posted by bornpeace
Check ur sway bar bushing (not strut bar). Check ur upper and lower control arm bushing, together with the ball joints. It may be time to replace all, if the noise is rubber like noise. check ur strut too? do u know they recommend to change them every 50k.
Old 08-26-10, 11:45 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Check the strut bar bushings, those are known issues followed by the control arms. At 14 years many of the rubber bushings will be suspects in need of change.

Struts should be more durable but the factory ones in mine were gone by 60K. Mine didn't make any noise but that to may be a possibility if these are the original units.
Old 08-26-10, 02:16 PM
98LSfromNJ
Driver

Born

When you correct a member, especially Pure, you need to be lock, stock and barrel on or else.......You risk life, limb and public embarrassment.........I know this from experience.
Old 08-26-10, 09:55 PM
bornpeace
Driver

Pure, is a recommendation, does'nt mean you have to change at 50k. OEM strut for our car are made by KYB and i will quote from KYB site
There are four main reasons that determine when to replace them: 1) To upgrade performance; 2) to restore the vehicle’s designed performance (usually after 50,000 miles); 3) when the vehicle has excessive ride control conditions (i.e. nose dive, body roll, etc.); or 4) when the vehicle has a failed unit (i.e. dripping hydraulic fluid, tire cupping, excessive bounce, etc.).
About sway bar/strut bar. i was trying to help, LS 400 dont have a strut bar, strut bar connect two strut from the top, so the bar will go on top of the engine. Our car comes with sway bar with two bushing.
Old 08-26-10, 10:28 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Bornpeace,

The info concerning the longevity of struts/shocks on KYB's site should be taken with a grain of salt. KYB is making a general statement. It's not specific to the LS. Shocks on an LS typically last much longer than 50k miles.

As far as strut bars, the LS's certainly do have strut bars. Here are diagrams of a 1st Gen and 2nd Gen front suspension. The design is different, but each utilizes a strut bar. In the 1st Gen diagram directly below, the strut bar is #11 and the strut bar cushion is #12.

For the 2nd Gen in the 2nd diagram, the strut bar is #12, and there's a bushing that goes where the cam bolt is at #14. The actual bushing isn't shown in this particular diagram. But for this particular thread, that bushing is the one being discussed as possibly needing replacement.
Attached Thumbnails Help Needed! Crunching/Creaking suspension when breaking-front-strut-and-mount.gif   Help Needed! Crunching/Creaking suspension when breaking-96-ls-front-suspension.gif  
Old 08-26-10, 10:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

You may also be thinking strut tower brace which many of us have added aftermarket pieces. (Lots of past threads on those too.)

When you correct a member, especially Pure, you need to be lock, stock and barrel on or else.......You risk life, limb and public embarrassment.........I know this from experience.
LOL
Old 08-26-10, 11:19 PM
bornpeace
Driver

JimsGX, the bar ur talking about is called "strut rod". is all english lets not take this too far. I was making a general statement too abt 50k, i know u can push more than that. I push 180k on my timing belt and water pump. Most of the parts can last longer than recommended replacement.
Old 08-27-10, 04:09 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by bornpeace
JimsGX, the bar ur talking about is called "strut rod". is all english lets not take this too far. I was making a general statement too abt 50k, i know u can push more than that. I push 180k on my timing belt and water pump. Most of the parts can last longer than recommended replacement.
Lexus/Toyota parts catalogs refer to that part as both a strut rod and/or a strut bar depending on which catalog you're looking at and which year, or even if you're looking at the whole assy. or just the bushing. no catalog calls it a strut TOWER bar (brace) (as what you were getting it confused with). the GENERIC term for it is actually Caster bar/rod, given that that is what it is used to adjust.

The Generic KYB 50k miles statement is just that, generic, and in no ways applies specifically to the LS400 in any way. the OEM shocks made for Lexus for the LS400 have time and time again shown to work perfectly fine to the ~80k mile mark, with many going far past that depending on environment and driving conditions.

You are a new member, but regardless if you're new or old, if you make a claim that effects the longevity of components or is a new revelation, it is expected that you can back them up with specific evidence indicating what you say or true, or face skepticism/disbelief.
Old 08-27-10, 02:04 PM
bornpeace
Driver

Pure, i was just trying to help Tr98185 so he knows what/where to look for problem. I am not an expert i was just trying to help, i may need help to, i actual have problem with my car (i will make a post).
And yes, i back up what i say. KYB makes OEM strut for LS 400 and they recommend to change them after 50k. but that depend on ur driving conditions. If the road u drive dont have pot holes, u may get way over 100K out of them. The reason for 50K is to restore the vehicle’s designed performance. If the strut doesnt perform at its best, it will put stress on the rest of suspension components(ball joints, bushing) and cost u more down the road.

I may be wrong, but that is the reason for this forum, educate and help each other.
Old 08-27-10, 02:14 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I may know what's going on here.

You must be Tr98185's mechanic. No wonder you are recommending struts every 50K.

Lexus/Toyota OEM Struts should last at least 80K...just as PD said

Peace.... bornpeace
Old 08-27-10, 02:39 PM
bornpeace
Driver

Okay, i will follow pure advice, at least 80k

Quick Reply: Help Needed! Crunching/Creaking suspension when breaking