LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 Ls400 What tint % do you reccomend ona Pearl White? Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 09:44 AM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Ls400 What tint % do you reccomend ona Pearl White? Clear Bra?

Hi all,

I have to say I am really enjoying my stay on this forum. I'm enjoying it a whole lot, almost as much as my father is enjoying the 98 Ls400 I bought for him.

Although I might not post alot I read almost every new post in the Ls400 and Ls430 forums.

I want to get my fathers Ls400 tinted. He also would like me to get him some sort of bra. He's kind of old fashioned so he's thinking the old very visible black leather black leather bra.

My understanding is those ruin the paint they cover after dirt seeps(and resides indefinitely) beneath the leather bras.

I was thinking I should get him more of a clear bra, the 3m type.

1)What percent shade tint would you recommend for the front?
How about the back?

2)Is a tint strip effective & worth it?

3)Is the clear bra a good way to go? Which areas should I have covered?

I want as much privacy as possible with the tint in terms of darkness. But I don't want it so dark that it is unsafe to drive at night.

I also don't want a cop to give me a ticket for having tint that is too dark.

As long as the cop can make out weather the driver is a male or female that is good enough. There is no percent law(5% or 50% etc) in Ontario just this vague kind of subjective rule of thumb, go figure!

Some pics of my (fathers) car..lol

Thanks everyone!

http://img517.imageshack.us/gal.php?...hqiokiwevn.jpg
Old 08-02-10, 10:42 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how strict the cops r over by u but I have 15% all around and haven't had trouble with my tints and the legal limit is 70% on the front windows. IMO it's about how u drive, if u drive normal and don't draw attention to youself ur not going to get pulled over for tints. Well at least that's the case over by me
Old 08-02-10, 10:59 AM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

35 and the windshield would be awesome!!!! the whole windshield
Old 08-02-10, 11:01 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went 20% and like it can still see at night but dark enough for privacy and to keep it cool during the summer. I don't like the tint stripe on the windshield so I didn't get one never looked right to me. The clear bra is propably the way to go but I have never used one and probably never will.
Old 08-02-10, 11:03 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Whatever he may be comfortable with. Young eyes readily adjust to the reduced light transmission. There are times this reduction can be dangerous when driving and at night, it is compounded. ~35% is conservative and allows reasonable viewing at all hours. Since window film technology has improved, one can get good filtering properties from even lighter tints.

If you or he is observant, being able to see where other drivers are looking is a queue to their intended lane. A dark tinted car removes this sign for other motorists and with many who don't signal their lane intent...the sudden change can be unexpected. Taken from both sides of being seen and being able to see.

Bottom line, whatever the comfort level is.
Old 08-02-10, 04:56 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I've got the Kansas maximum (35%) on my side and back windows with gray Llumar tint and wouldn't go any darker than that for night time safety although I sure would like darker - maybe 20% - on a 101 F. degree day like today. I later had a 20% tint strip installed at the top of the windshield and like it a lot. It looks curved from the front but perfectly straight from the side. The back window is done in nonmetalized 35% tint due to the imprinted radio and phone antennas.

I would never consider fully tinting a windshield no matter how light the tint. A light tint on the windshield may be OK for someone in their 20's or early 30's but by the time you become a certified geezer like me, you've usually lost an incredible percentage of night vision. I can't even wear self darkening Transitions brand glasses at night since they don't lighten enough for me to see the road at night.

Attached is a pic from from XMAS 2009 on a bright sunny day in north central Iowa -- since it's so freakin' hot today.
Attached Thumbnails 98 Ls400 What tint % do you reccomend ona Pearl White? Clear Bra?-00-ls-at-xmas-2009-small.jpg  

Last edited by Kansas; 08-02-10 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 07:30 PM
kuziwk
Driver

i went with 20% all around (except windshield for obvious reason). Whenever i see a cop i roll down the front windows and so far i havent had issue. Dont tint the front windshield people are stupid, i drive at night often and i actually dont mind it but you have to be able to see dont you?
Old 09-06-10, 06:34 PM
GillaG
Driver School Candidate

Kuziwk

If you had a couple of pictures since the tint and could post them I would really appreciate it. I am thinking of going with the 35% on my front and 20% on rear and back window. Thanks