LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

quick oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 08:39 PM
bheng
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick oil change question

I decided to help my dad out as he usually sends his car in to get an oil change.

I was thinking to switching to synthetic but after reading a couple of the threads (yes i used the search) most members are find with cheaper oil.

From what i saw in his last oil change, they used regular penzoil 10w-40. what do you guys think about that. I know toyota/lexus recommends 5w-30.

What i dont know is to keep switching oils. so should i keep using 10w-40?

Also, a quick search on amazon gave me filters from mobil 1 and k&n. where do you guys buy the oem filters? or will the other filters on amazon suffice?

Thanks a lot guys
Brian
Old 07-20-10, 08:46 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Post one for you. Cool. I say 5w-30 a decent filter i have K&N now. The high the milage the more often you change oil stay with regular oil. Synthetic is ok depends if you really like to spend money on it.
Old 07-20-10, 09:26 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bheng
I decided to help my dad out as he usually sends his car in to get an oil change.

I was thinking to switching to synthetic but after reading a couple of the threads (yes i used the search) most members are find with cheaper oil.

From what i saw in his last oil change, they used regular penzoil 10w-40. what do you guys think about that. I know toyota/lexus recommends 5w-30.

What i dont know is to keep switching oils. so should i keep using 10w-40?

Also, a quick search on amazon gave me filters from mobil 1 and k&n. where do you guys buy the oem filters? or will the other filters on amazon suffice?

Thanks a lot guys
Brian
what is the mileage on the car???? it might be because you have higher mileage so you need the thicker viscosity. im currently at 220k i switched over to 10w-30 high mileage through valvoline. i would recommend to use oem oil filter if your can cause they will never fail on you!!!!!
Old 07-20-10, 09:35 PM
bheng
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Post one for you. Cool. I say 5w-30 a decent filter i have K&N now. The high the milage the more often you change oil stay with regular oil. Synthetic is ok depends if you really like to spend money on it.
How often do you change your oil with regular? every 3k?

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
what is the mileage on the car???? it might be because you have higher mileage so you need the thicker viscosity. im currently at 220k i switched over to 10w-30 high mileage through valvoline. i would recommend to use oem oil filter if your can cause they will never fail on you!!!!!
as of right now, i believe it is as 112k for a 92. my dad said he would just stick with penzoil like his mechanic was using but i was thinking about giving him an upgrade or something. lol i mean i want the car to last as long as possible. and i know he has been stalling on the oil change.

also if i am not mistaken, i need a new oil change gasket as well or can i use the old one?
Old 07-20-10, 09:51 PM
lexusls95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
The high the milage the more often you change oil stay with regular oil. Synthetic is ok depends if you really like to spend money on it.
Good answer..! dont spend the money if u dont want to/have to. There is nothing wrong with Dino oil at all.
Old 07-20-10, 10:10 PM
bheng
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusls95
Good answer..! dont spend the money if u dont want to/have to. There is nothing wrong with Dino oil at all.
well i dont mind using penzoil 10w40. as for the gasket and oil filter. can i get them from lexus-parts.com they seem to be relatively cheap. 5 for a filter and 1 for a gasket.

but i would need them rather quickly. since i will be doing the oil change this weekend. should i just order from amazon like a mobil 1 filter or a k&n filter. do i need to replace the gasket?

and i might just order the oil from amazon as well depending on its price.

Last edited by bheng; 07-20-10 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 10:15 PM
lexusls95
Driver School Candidate

well i dont mind using penzoil 10w40. as for the gasket and oil filter. can i get them from lexus-parts.com they seem to be relatively cheap. 5 for a filter and 1 for a gasket.
doesnt the oil filter normally come with the gasket on the end of it..? do u have a checker, o'reilly, or autozone near you? they will have a cheaper filter than the $5 filter you are looking into on the net. unless u are looking for oem lexus/toyota, then i would think that $5 for a filter would be cheap!!
Old 07-20-10, 10:34 PM
bheng
Driver School Candidate

doesnt the oil filter normally come with the gasket on the end of it..? do u have a checker, o'reilly, or autozone near you? they will have a cheaper filter than the $5 filter you are looking into on the net. unless u are looking for oem lexus/toyota, then i would think that $5 for a filter would be cheap!!
yeah i was looking into getting a genuine filter but i guess not this time. i might get myself an k&n or mobil 1 just cuz they only offer ground shipping (which is fine but wont arrive soon enough)

as for the gasket, i followed a tutorial online and said that i needed a new gasket.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lubri...oilchange.html
can anyone verify the validity of that statement as well as the part numbers? if so, i might need to stop by a lexus dealership sometime this week to pick it up.
Old 07-20-10, 10:38 PM
lexusls95
Driver School Candidate

u live in cali, u have parts stores that will have the teeny tiny oil filter that is recommended for the LS, dont go internet if u need it by the weekend....and all oil filters come with the gasket on them already.....unless u are talking about the oil pan gasket, u didnt mention anything about that
Old 07-20-10, 10:44 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i was looking into getting a genuine filter but i guess not this time. i might get myself an k&n or mobil 1 just cuz they only offer ground shipping (which is fine but wont arrive soon enough)

as for the gasket, i followed a tutorial online and said that i needed a new gasket.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lubri...oilchange.html
can anyone verify the validity of that statement as well as the part numbers? if so, i might need to stop by a lexus dealership sometime this week to pick it up.
just tell them you need a v8 filter and you will be good!!!!! you should came out to the Westminster meet!!! well im not sure how close you are to la and what not, but they had a meet with employee discount on lexus parts
Old 07-20-10, 10:52 PM
bheng
Driver School Candidate

u live in cali, u have parts stores that will have the teeny tiny oil filter that is recommended for the LS, dont go internet if u need it by the weekend....and all oil filters come with the gasket on them already.....unless u are talking about the oil pan gasket, u didnt mention anything about that
sorry i was talking about the oil pan gasket.

just tell them you need a v8 filter and you will be good!!!!! you should came out to the Westminster meet!!! well im not sure how close you are to la and what not, but they had a meet with employee discount on lexus parts
i am about 400 mi away . i am in the sf/bay area
Old 07-20-10, 11:17 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

i am about 400 mi away . i am in the sf/bay area
ops hmmmmm. yea whenever you get the chance check out carson toyota online. i know sometimes they have some coupons out there to help us members .
Old 07-20-10, 11:35 PM
bheng
Driver School Candidate

ops hmmmmm. yea whenever you get the chance check out carson toyota online. i know sometimes they have some coupons out there to help us members .
do you know if i have to change the oil pan gasket as the instructions say on the diy? by chance...
Old 07-21-10, 06:35 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

How often do you change your oil with regular? every 3k?

as of right now, i believe it is as 112k for a 92. my dad said he would just stick with penzoil like his mechanic was using but i was thinking about giving him an upgrade or something. lol i mean i want the car to last as long as possible. and i know he has been stalling on the oil change.

also if i am not mistaken, i need a new oil change gasket as well or can i use the old one?
Since mine is over 200k at least 3k miles or 6 mos. K&N filters here run $13. Could probably go to a OEM for less don't know never bought any. I am guessing you mean the oil plug gasket. If so than yes. I just buy a new plug comes with the gasket when i get the oil and filter.
Old 07-21-10, 12:27 PM
7schulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Mobil 1 0w-40 in my car but I like Mobil Clean 5000 (good ammount of moly) for dino oil. I use a bosh oil filter. Got a case of them for a couple bucks a filter. I have 158K and no leaks with 0W. Castrol 0w-30 aka German Castrol very good oil. Go to bobistheoilguy.com They have all the oil info you could ever want. What does K&N know about oil filter they do air filters and don't filter well at that. And Mobil 1 knows oil but are probably another filter rebranded with mobil 1. A purolator or fram or a napa filter would be good enough.

Last edited by 7schulz; 07-21-10 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: quick oil change question