LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

leather seat dye

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 06:52 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather seat dye

ok so i hope the picture will help make sense of this, there seems to be a much lighter of color on my seats were were so disgusting in front i had to use VIM bathroom cleaner to clean them. They turned out a darker color of tan with the blotchy white. I used regular leather cleaner on my back seats which were not that bad, it got them nice and clean with a brush but, they are the light creamy color, looking behind the back flip down armrest there is what looks to be the original color so is it possible the VIM bathroom cleaner took it down to the original color and these seats were painted or dyed?

The edge center of the seat is the original color i was talking about that i cleaned with a harsher cleaner, the tan shade is also the same as found in untouched leather parts such as behind the back armrest or in the seams, and the rest is a white residue/lighter color, looks like paint or dye or something, doesnt really match the rest of the car. Can i fix the seats with leather dye?
Attached Thumbnails leather seat dye-img00107-20100719-1833.jpg  

Last edited by kuziwk; 07-19-10 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-19-10, 07:14 PM
pbdolch
Driver School Candidate

Funny, I just got through detailing my interior today. It's very possible that it's dye. Actually, I want to say yes. After getting professional advice from my detail supervisor, he recommend me to clean my interior with a scrub pad, lots of clean rags and mcclean(all purpose cleaner) it dulled out my leather and took out the dye and shiny leather conditioner that the previous owner had on. Factory lexus leather shouldn't be glossy. After a deep clean I conditioned my leather with Lexol and after it dried it gave me the new leather look that I was after.
Old 07-19-10, 08:13 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by pbdolch
Funny, I just got through detailing my interior today. It's very possible that it's dye. Actually, I want to say yes. After getting professional advice from my detail supervisor, he recommend me to clean my interior with a scrub pad, lots of clean rags and mcclean(all purpose cleaner) it dulled out my leather and took out the dye and shiny leather conditioner that the previous owner had on. Factory lexus leather shouldn't be glossy. After a deep clean I conditioned my leather with Lexol and after it dried it gave me the new leather look that I was after.
thanks man i needed a second opinion, yea i was using that armer all purpose, worked not bad but it needs ALOT of scrubbing, Oh well i guess i have my work set out. Why would someone put dye though? BTW its not really that shiny but still is, i just put conditioner on it.
Old 07-19-10, 08:30 PM
pbdolch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kuziwk
thanks man i needed a second opinion, yea i was using that armer all purpose, worked not bad but it needs ALOT of scrubbing, Oh well i guess i have my work set out. Why would someone put dye though? BTW its not really that shiny but still is, i just put conditioner on it.
I guess with lighter interior the gloss isn't so bad. A lot of times ppl tend to dye their interior is to touch up certain spots or areas that are worn out. But in quite a few cases the dye color doesn't match the interior color perfectly so they dye a good portion of the interior to match it up. Good luck!
Old 07-19-10, 08:45 PM
kuziwk
Driver

Originally Posted by pbdolch
I guess with lighter interior the gloss isn't so bad. A lot of times ppl tend to dye their interior is to touch up certain spots or areas that are worn out. But in quite a few cases the dye color doesn't match the interior color perfectly so they dye a good portion of the interior to match it up. Good luck!
ugh sucks, i have to literally clean all the old dye off