LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

BG Intake service

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 08:03 AM
cgreenberg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BG Intake service

Hi Folks. Was chatting with my mechanic during an oil change. He has been straight forward and honest with me. Told him I was going to clean my throttle body one of these weekends in my 98 ls400 (79k miles). The mechanic is pitching me a BG Intake service. Anybody have experience with this?

Th you for the input.

Chip
Old 07-10-10, 08:45 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

bg44k? ive used it and didnt seem like it did anything.

what u could do effectively. is remove the top manifold and submerge it in a pool of brake cleaner.
Old 07-10-10, 09:13 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Well on another car i had that done. Hook it up to some machine and blast the system. I say i did wonders for that car. It had lack of power and idled a bit high and had hesitation. Afterwards it ran like a top. Just use some type of stuff like 44k once or twice a year to maintain it.
Old 07-10-10, 11:51 AM
SRV1
Driver

It does work to an extent. I used it before on customers cars. It does help clean the carbon off the pistons and intake valves. Your best bet would to do it yourself and use a can of Seafoam. Also a trick I learned to clean injectors and to keep them clean is to throw a bottle of automatic transmission fluid in the gas tank when you fill up. The detergents in the ATF fluid will not harm any part of the fuel system and it will not foul out the oxygen sensors. It is cheap and it works wonders. I put in 1 quart per gas tank once a month or once every two months depending on the mileage.

James
Old 07-10-10, 12:19 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ATF in the gas tank??? thats a first.
Old 07-10-10, 12:45 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Here we go.

Using a quality gasoline as recommended by the manufacturer is the way to go. Not regular unleaded but premium...there is a reason why they engineered the car for optimum performance using that gasoline and calibrated it as such. Debate it all you want but it remains their method of operation.

From Texaco's site:

Myth #12 - Adding a quart of ATF the day before an oil change will clean your engine. ATF added to the motor oil will clean the engine due to the high levels of detergent in ATF.

Fact: ATF does not contain detergent chemistry. ATF does contain dispersants, which have properties similar to detergents. But ATF is not formulated to withstand the combustion environment inside the engine. Havoline recommends that you keep the fluids where they belong: motor oil in the crankcase, and automatic transmission fluid in the transmission.
If the engine has lots of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber the engine isn't running optimally. Perform the recommended maintenance and use the proper gasoline. All these backyard solutions can be avoided in the first place.
Old 07-10-10, 01:51 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO
NO
NO
NO

The BG service is a waste of money!
Old 07-10-10, 02:56 PM
cgreenberg
Rookie

Just to be clear folks, I'm not looking to clean the injectors. I was discussing manually cleaning my throttle body with the mechanic and he said the BG intake service would do that and more
Old 07-10-10, 05:19 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Iv'e used lucas fuel injection cleaner, the first time I used a half bottle with a 3/4 tank of gas the quart bottle it sells for about 12.00 and put it in the reccomened every other tank THE TRANSMISSION FLUID IS GREAT FOR DIESEL I'M NOT SURE ABOUT GAS ENGINES. I talked to several shop who work on engine head and they all recommened the LUCAS which I have been using for about 15 years. my 91LS 400 has 245,000 and no problems except for the MAS sensor and altenator normal wear out things shocks etc. The only thing I do different is to use Mobil one in everything that uses oil and so far so good. I also put seafoam in my tank couldn't tell much difference.
Old 07-10-10, 06:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I used Lucas fuel injector cleaner but have recently switched to using Redline SI-1 and Gumout Regane. They both contain high concentrations of PEA which probably the most effective ingredient to clean fuel injectors.

When I ran Lucas, I dumped a half a bottle with a little less than 1/2 of a tank. Lucas is great as an upper cylinder lube with mild cleaning ability.

As far as carbon build-ups on valves and pistons, I let the engine suck in plain ol' water.
Old 07-10-10, 08:56 PM
turboomni
Driver School Candidate

Quote ""As far as carbon build-ups on valves and pistons, I let the engine suck in plain ol' water. Quote

Water injection was/is one of the cheapest and best ways to combat detonation and was used in piston fighters in WW2. It really cleans the top of the piston and cylinderhead by steam action when the piston fires .It makes crap gas behave more like higher octane as it resists detonation. I don't know if the back of the intake valve is helped but the exhaust valve is help by the process.
I don't think water will in any way help clean an intake manifold that is gunked up if injected into the throttle body.

'''

Last edited by turboomni; 07-10-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 01:35 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Water injection lower temps and can help loosen light carbon but nothing worth wasting doing it .
Would you take a shower (with water) and not use soap , how much dirt (carbon) would actually be removed .
Sea foam away it needs detergent action.
Old 07-11-10, 06:18 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Water injection cured my Toyota Camry's idle issue that Seafoam never did. I was an avid Seafoam user until it got expensive and the results were less than stellar. My results have been reflected by many of those who did the same on bobistheoilguy and countless other forums. I'll stick to water since it's free for me
Old 07-11-10, 09:24 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
ATF in the gas tank??? thats a first.
This is an old skool trick that used to be used to back in the day. Alot of truckers still use this to clear out injectors.
Old 07-11-10, 09:39 AM
SRV1
Driver

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RA40
Here we go.

Using a quality gasoline as recommended by the manufacturer is the way to go. Not regular unleaded but premium...there is a reason why they engineered the car for optimum performance using that gasoline and calibrated it as such. Debate it all you want but it remains their method of operation.

From Texaco's site:

If the engine has lots of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber the engine isn't running optimally. Perform the recommended maintenance and use the proper gasoline. All these backyard solutions can be avoided in the first place.
Wait another know it all I have been an auto technician for over 15 years, went to college and have a degree in automotive technology and went to various other automotive tech courses and most likely wrenched on more cars than you will ever have. Of course a gas company is going to recommend a premium gas for your car because that is there bread and butter, they make more money off you when you buy the more expensive gas!

The reason why our cars take premium fuel is not because Lexus wants to keep our fuel system clean because we have a compression ratio of 10:1 and 10.5:1 which 90 and lower octane would cause detonation and could damage the engine. All the BS oil companies telling you how the higher octane fuels have more cleaning agents in them is just that, BS.

If you ever rebuilt an automatic transmission, then you would know when working with automatic transmission fluid, it keeps the grease and grime off of your hands because of the cleaning agents in it. I have used it in engines before with great results and with NO damage to the engine. Back yard my ***

ATF in the gas tank works when you dilute it in gasoline. Used it in customers cars and my own for thousands and thousands of miles with ZERO issues. Not one customer complaint or failure. Had a sticking injector on my 3.0 Toyota truck. I went through three tanks of gas with ATF in it and the sticking injector was sticking no more. I know this because the injector was making a loud clicking noise and the truck had a slight misfire. Misfire went away and so did the loud injector. You can grab anything you want off the internet until you have used it countless times, those internet links do not mean squat.

As for the carbon in the combustion chamber, all cars have a build up. You can maintain the crap out of your engine and still have carbon issues. Driving habits have a big role on carbon buildup. Water injection does work well to a certain extent. The BG stuff does work but it has nothing to do with cleaning the fuel injectors. Seafoam WORKS too! You have to know what you are doing. I have used all of these methods and many different makes of cars with zero failures. It may not fix the problem all the time depending how bad it is but to say they are "backyard" is ignorant unless you have worked in the field and know what you are talking about.

James

Last edited by SRV1; 07-11-10 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: BG Intake service