LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 "CHECK VSC"---40k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 04:19 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 LS400 "CHECK VSC"---40k Miles

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 98 LS400. I was just turning into a tight parking spot at the local grocery store when it felt like abs or something was kicking in on the turning wheels. Only after I looked dow to pull the key out of the ignition I noticed 'Check VSC'.

There are no other lights on ...like Check engine light or ABS...etc.

I just have a SOLID red light beside the odometer and where the odometer is there reads a message 'Check VSC'.

I've searched this forum and I've seen people saying everything from faulty wheel sensor to bad O2 sensor to ETC...lol

I'm wondering has anyone had this message and solved it?

I just had the codes read today: 0 errors

Thanks so much
The following users liked this post:
GurjotHeer (10-24-22)
Old 07-09-10, 04:30 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

The check VSC message on a 98-00 LS400 can be caused by several issues. The most common issue that has caused this message on my 00 LS400 over the years has been a failing battery. Actually, if this message is displayed without the CEL, I usually just replace the battery and reset the VSC per the instructions in the owners manual. How old is your battery?
Old 07-09-10, 06:17 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply, It was replaced in 2006.

Is there a way to verify this before going out and buying a new battery?

Should I have my current battery tested at my local parts store? Any special type of test?

How would one rule out a speed sensor?

Thanks alot!
Old 07-09-10, 10:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

get battery and alternator tested, the "Check VSC" light comes on for both random electrical problems as well as problems with the VSC system itsel. as kansas stated, low battery/charge is common.
Old 07-09-10, 10:56 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.. this thread explains my check vsc light
before i got my alternator and battery replaced.. this light would come on a lot more.. i personally haven't gotten it since i replaced my battery recently

to op.. i suggest you replace the battery before the alternator.. replacing the alternator for me did not fix my problems with the car dying.. i just got tricked in to it
Old 07-10-10, 01:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

uhh unless you're talking about your new LS, it doesnt apply

VSC is a 98+ only item and the trac system doesnt necessarily respond like that.
Old 07-10-10, 05:29 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexuslspro
Thanks for the reply, It was replaced in 2006.
Is there a way to verify this before going out and buying a new battery?
Should I have my current battery tested at my local parts store? Any special type of test?
How would one rule out a speed sensor?
Thanks alot!
If your battery is four years old, I recommend replacing it and not bothering with the expense of having it tested. In over 20 years of owning LS400 cars, I have had only one battery last more than four years -- the original battery on my 00 LS which lasted 49,000 miles / 4 years, 4 months -- I just checked my records. My 00 LS is on its fourth name brand battery -- one lasted only about one year.

If you want to test your battery, you could buy an inexpensive hydrometer and check the specific gravity of the battery fluid. However, sometimes a hydrometer will show a "good" reading on a defective battery. Another way is to use an inexpensive trickle charger to see if the battery will take a full charge. The $20 trickle charger I bought 35+ years ago has paid for itself over and over.

Also, make sure your battery terminals are spotlessly clean. A special tool to clean both the battery cable clamps and battery posts cost about $3 -- I just bought a new one at Advance Auto. If necessary, use baking soda, a little water and an old tooth brush to clean the corrosion from the cable clamps. After you reattach the cable clamps to the battery posts, give the posts and clamps a light coating of Vaseline to inhibit corrosion.
Old 07-10-10, 09:38 AM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
uhh unless you're talking about your new LS, it doesnt apply

VSC is a 98+ only item and the trac system doesnt necessarily respond like that.
sorry for not specifying.. i was talking about my 98 LS.. the check vsc was an often occurence before i replaced the battery
Old 07-10-10, 09:42 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

time to get ur sig changed lol.
Old 07-10-10, 12:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Kansas
If your battery is four years old, I recommend replacing it and not bothering with the expense of having it tested. In over 20 years of owning LS400 cars, I have had only one battery last more than four years -- the original battery on my 00 LS which lasted 49,000 miles / 4 years, 4 months -- I just checked my records. My 00 LS is on its fourth name brand battery -- one lasted only about one year.

If you want to test your battery, you could buy an inexpensive hydrometer and check the specific gravity of the battery fluid. However, sometimes a hydrometer will show a "good" reading on a defective battery. Another way is to use an inexpensive trickle charger to see if the battery will take a full charge. The $20 trickle charger I bought 35+ years ago has paid for itself over and over.

Also, make sure your battery terminals are spotlessly clean. A special tool to clean both the battery cable clamps and battery posts cost about $3 -- I just bought a new one at Advance Auto. If necessary, use baking soda, a little water and an old tooth brush to clean the corrosion from the cable clamps. After you reattach the cable clamps to the battery posts, give the posts and clamps a light coating of Vaseline to inhibit corrosion.
my original lexus battery from 1999 lasted me until ~2007/2008

on my good old optima redtop ever since
Old 07-10-10, 01:24 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Hello,

I just had my battery tested at my local auto parts store for free()

I got a print-out with this info:

Voltage: 12.86V
Measured: 543 Cold Cranking Amps
Rated: 585 Cold Cranking amps
Temperature: 62 Degrees Celsius = 143.6 Degrees Fahrenheit

I think they used a device called EXP800

Should I replace the battery? I just don't want to go out and pay for something I don't need.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-10, 03:31 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

The test results seem to indicate your battery is sound but so have several of mine that have had an internal battery connection between cells separate and reconnect intermittently - usually when hitting a bump/pothole or turning a corner at low speed.

One option is to do nothing until the problem gets worse and the cause becomes obvious. Reset the VSC per the instructions in your owners manual and keep driving.
Old 07-10-10, 04:33 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
The test results seem to indicate your battery is sound but so have several of mine that have had an internal battery connection between cells separate and reconnect intermittently - usually when hitting a bump/pothole or turning a corner at low speed.

One option is to do nothing until the problem gets worse and the cause becomes obvious. Reset the VSC per the instructions in your owners manual and keep driving.
I think you are right on the money Kansas! What you've described "hitting a bump/pothole or turning a corner at low speed" is usually what it has taken to knock the VSC out of wack.

Have you ever had an experience like this:" I was just turning into a tight parking spot at the local grocery store when it felt like abs or something was kicking in on the turning wheels."

Thanks alot man!
Old 12-19-11, 08:51 PM
bomre340
Driver School Candidate

Default VSC "off" warning light on - 1999 LS 400

Changed battery and VSC "off" warning light was on. I re-set light by:
1. Enter car & Close doors
2. Shift in neutral
3. Apply parking brake
4. Turn key to on and start
5. Press VSC button on dash
FIXED!
The following users liked this post:
lu400x (02-11-22)
Old 12-19-11, 10:51 PM
whit3b0y
Pole Position

wondering how this will be effected say my alternator goes out?

Quick Reply: 98 LS400 "CHECK VSC"---40k Miles