LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A different starter question-

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-10, 07:49 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A different starter question-

Hi all,
My '92 is making a sound on 'some' startups. The car always starts and the solenoid/starter always works as they should. Never any clicks or non-engagements, etc..
But after cranking and catching/starting, one can - about one in 3 times- hear a metallic 'whir' for anywhere from under a second to a little over a second. Kind of sounds like a starter or motor whirring. I've not traced it to any other symptoms, but possibly it will do it more when it's colder. Any ideas? Could it be the starter gear getting stuck 'out' for a sec after starting or such? Or just the starter motor running a bit longer? Maybe the solenoid sticking closed or such? ...thanks...
Old 04-22-10, 06:33 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely your guess about the solenoid contacts getting "stuck". As the contacts wear, and depending upon the wear pattern, the contacts can momentarily weld together then break apart a moment later with sufficient spring pressure. I have had starters(non-Lexus) that kept running even with the key out. The only way to unstick the contacts is to give the solenoid a good smack or remove a battery terminal.

Provided you are not inadvertently holding the key in the start position for the extra time, it does sound plausible that your solenoid contacts are nearing the end of the trail.

How long has it been since the starter was rebuilt or replaced?
Old 04-23-10, 07:47 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

OEM original.

thanks for opinion-- if that were the case, wouldn't the starter gear be grinding against the flywheel? or does that gear pop back in somehow after a start?

and i'm correct in saying the solenoid is in the starter?
Old 04-23-10, 01:06 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jcolegrove
OEM original.

thanks for opinion-- if that were the case, wouldn't the starter gear be grinding against the flywheel? or does that gear pop back in somehow after a start?

and i'm correct in saying the solenoid is in the starter?
Well, the starter (if stuck) would still be engaged with the flexplate teeth but the engine would be whirling the starter rather than the other way around. And the starter would be whirling a lot faster than it normally does. Perhaps that is the noise you are hearing.

You are correct in that the solenoid is built into the starter. The starter is cradled underneath the intake manifold towards the back-center. Its a pain to replace but if you have a 92 that is still on the original starter, sounds like you may have that "pleasure" soon. Or begin saving your pennies for someone else to do. All presuming it is the starter of course.
Old 04-25-10, 10:58 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

ahhh.. that's right. rpms on the starter would be much higher w/ running engine... i'm trying to think of an elegant way to check this electrically on something. or just keep pinpointing the sound w/ my head under the hood. thanks for thoughts...