LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New to the LS400 World

Old 04-16-10, 03:38 PM
CarCrazy24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the LS400 World

Hello there! I just bought a nice 1991 LS400 to replace my old daily driver, a 1987 190D. I was looking for something a little nicer than the usual Honda or Toyota junker, ended up with something that seems nice! It fit nicely within my budget of under $3000 as well =)

It's got mileage...186,000+ to be honest. But unlike every other car I was searching for within my budget, this car had almost no faults. The exterior is nice with exception of peeling on the bumpers. There are no warning lights on the dash, the A/C works, and all the electronics seem to work! The few faults I could find were: a hood that shakes and vibrates while driving on the freewaytem , a radio antenna which doesn't power up or down, and an aftermarket radio which only plays through the front speakers, making this system sound like a 1920's gramophone. Also, I noticed the steering is overly heavy and not quite as silky as I imagined.

I hope to keep this car for a long time...my uncle had one of these and it's still going with well over 390K on the clock. If you guys have any common crumbs of advice you can bestow to help me keep this car going for a long time, let me know.

Old 04-16-10, 04:06 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great for its age. Congrats!
Old 04-16-10, 04:13 PM
7schulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharp Color
Old 04-16-10, 06:56 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

nice car get a good deal? my hood does that too and the same with the steering and the radio sucks haha its a 90 though so i expected annoyances/problems
Old 04-16-10, 07:36 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Welcome to da fam, it looks mint. I would some tints quick
Old 04-17-10, 11:05 AM
CarCrazy24
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback guys, esp. Thermactor. It looks to be a great car, I'm really looking forward to driving it daily =)
Old 04-17-10, 01:25 PM
virtue22
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the switch from the 190D. Was it the 2.5T? I would like your opinion on the difference of each. Both are very dependable but also each have their problems. Hope you enjoy the change!!
Old 04-17-10, 02:36 PM
CarCrazy24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by virtue22
Congrats on the switch from the 190D. Was it the 2.5T? I would like your opinion on the difference of each. Both are very dependable but also each have their problems. Hope you enjoy the change!!
It was just the 2.5, and it certainly was slow! But the way I see it, it was one less thing to go wrong with the turbo. For large part, the non-turbo diesels are the Benzes of choice for longevity...mine had nearly 240K and was running strong when i returned it to my uncle. Highly recommend the 190D, wish it had a lot more off the line, but besides that it's a great car
Old 04-17-10, 04:55 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

the single best thing you can do to make this forum useful to yourself is to get familiar with the search function. just about everything has been discussed before, and a lot of solutions and recommendations are there for the taking.
Old 04-18-10, 12:55 AM
KJLegend
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by denverdog
the single best thing you can do to make this forum useful to yourself is to get familiar with the search function. just about everything has been discussed before, and a lot of solutions and recommendations are there for the taking.
Although sometimes the search feature on forums is indeed helpful I find it more useful to hear about current up to date questions and comments from people. Instead of relying upon info that could be 4-5 years old at times. There isn't a whole lot of activity from time to time and the forum can get dry and boring.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we should welcome new posts and questions even when repeated from earlier posts...
Old 04-18-10, 12:56 AM
KJLegend
Driver School Candidate

Edit: Nice ride!
Old 04-18-10, 03:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KJLegend
Although sometimes the search feature on forums is indeed helpful I find it more useful to hear about current up to date questions and comments from people. Instead of relying upon info that could be 4-5 years old at times. There isn't a whole lot of activity from time to time and the forum can get dry and boring.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we should welcome new posts and questions even when repeated from earlier posts...
you're at least partially wrong. if it is something where new information would/could appear, such as someone creating a new method to do something, or what have you, a new post/thread is warranted. otherwise, the "4-5 year old" information IS STILL VALID!! this isn't food we're talking about, these are CARS, and mechanical and electrical information is still valid, as are diagnosis tips.

plus, when you Search for the Old threads and post a question or addendum, it helps to concentrate information into that thread, making it easier to find things down the road...
Old 05-02-10, 11:01 AM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

New Owners: Go to Lexus.com and Register your VIN as the New Owner. It's FREE and then you can view all the past repairs on your car done by Authorized Lexus Dealers.
Old 05-02-10, 11:04 AM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

Also: Go to Google, type in LS400, and read the Wikipedia article on the Lexus LS400. It tells you the amazing history of the CLASSIC CAR you just bought.!!!
Old 05-02-10, 06:54 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CarCrazy24,

Start with this link... http://www.lexls.com/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to the LS400 World