LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Speedometer / #1 Vehicle Speed Sensor issues

Old 04-08-10, 02:59 AM
skyther
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer / #1 Vehicle Speed Sensor issues

Hey guys,

I have an Australian delivered (RHD) '93 LS400. We had a fairly bad storm here a couple of weeks ago where I drove through several floods. My speedo worked fine till later that night when it completely died and started flashing the O/D light. I checked the error codes and it came up with a code 42 indicating a fault with the #1 VSS.

Thinking it may have been fluid ingress in the sensor, I cleaned the sensor and the contacts which did not fix the problem. Even after replacing the sensor, I am still experiencing the same issue. I tried turning the driven gear on the VSS with the ignition on and the speedo moves, hence it would appear that the gear is not being engaged by the driveshaft.

I rang my local Lexus dealership and one of the service techs there told me that the gear on the shaft in the extension housing could be stripped. Can water ingress possibly cause a gear to be stripped? Is there a correct or incorrect way of installing the VSS? The hole where the VSS shaft goes into is fairly tight, and to insert the VSS I've had to wiggle/rotate the VSS for it to fit in. Could this cause the gears to not engage?

Also, could someone provide some instructions on removing the extension housing to inspect the gears?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-08-10, 12:29 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The No.1 speed sensor outputs a 20-pulse signal for every revolution of the rotor shaft, which is rotated by the transmission output shaft via the driven gear. This signal is converted into a 4-pulse waveform by the combination meter, it is then transmitted to the Engine and ECT ECU. The ECU determines the vehicle speed based on the frequency of these pulse signals. In the ECT, this sensor is used as a backup sensor in case of malfunction of the No.2 speed sensor........location-right rear of trans (drivers side in your case)

Then No. 2 vehicle speed sensor detects the rotation speed of the transmission output shaft and sends signals to the Engine Control Module (ECM) . The ECM determines the vehicle speed based on these signals. An AC voltage is generated in the No. 2 vehicle speed sensor coil as the rotor mounted on the output shaft rotates, and this voltage is sent to the ECM. The gear shift point and lock-up timing are controlled by the ECM based on the signals from this vehicle speed sensor and the throttle position sensor signal. If the No. 2 vehicle speed sensor malfunctions, the ECM uses input signals from the No. 1 vehicle speed sensor as a back-up signal.......location left side rear (passenger side in your case)

Removal of the extention housing is easy. But probly unnessasary. Remove propeller shaft,rear output shaft yoke(1 large nut in center of yoke)pull it off,and then unbolt housing and remove

Speed sensor info is directly from alldata,hope this helps
Old 10-20-17, 06:09 PM
msweber97
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having the same problem replaced both speed sensors car sat for a week rained everyday drove it and no speedometer and od light flashing it's code 42 even with both sensors replaced it has not fixed anything