LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1990 - 1994 LS400 No Seatbelt Tension Fix (kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 09:59 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1990 - 1994 LS400 No Seatbelt Tension Fix (kinda)

Hi all,

So ive been reading all of the threads about the lack of tension on our seatbelts and there is no one thread that actually gives an answer right off the bat. Hope this helps and makes it easier when searching.

I say "Kinda" because this does not 100% fix it but the seat belt tension, but is GREATLY improved. Immediately after doing this, the tension was noticeably better. Much tighter when buckling up and it actually retracts when you unbuckle it.

Symptoms:
-Loose floppy seatbelts that do not snap back.
-When you lean forward, seatbelt becomes loose and you have to tighten it more by locking in your seatbelt again over and over to get it tight. But it just keeps happening.
-When you exit your car you have a mess of seatbelt that doesnt retract back thats laying on your seat.

The Fix
Use this tutorial @ lexls.com on how to get to the blue plug for the solenoid. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/elect...fcourtesy.html
(Note i didnt use this tutorial when i opened the panel up, i simply got a flathead scredriver and a towel to pry it loose. I found this tutorial afterwards.)

Once you get your panel open, simply unplug this blue thing. Use a flathead screw driver to push UP the tab and pull out the plug.

Thats it really. Hope this helps anyone out there. Helped me a lot.
Old 03-27-10, 10:23 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

mostly due to the seatbelt actually being dirty from what i've read.
Old 03-27-10, 10:29 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

I got a bucket with some clothes detergent and washed all my seat belts. Pretty clean, water turned out all brown. Disgusting. It was only after this that it got better. I read that as well though.
Old 03-28-10, 06:40 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After you unplugged the blue plug does your seat belt position go up and down when you hit the seat belt position button on the door?
Old 03-28-10, 08:50 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

sam, no it does not. But i don't need to adjust it up or down
Old 03-28-10, 09:43 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At auto body school we were trained that seatbelts are considered wear and tear parts, and need to be replaced just as tires, shocks, light bulbs.

After a considerable accident at a certain speed limit, most seatbelts are designed to lock and should never be used again (there is an actual mechanism which I never really understood). I think that mechanism must be getting dirty after all the years of grime. A couple of body shops tinker with that mechanism to keep the cash, some insurance adjusters don't put it on the quote to keep their overall costs down.
Old 03-29-10, 12:33 AM
Legionofon
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres actually a small explosive similar to a airbag in the seatbelts that tightens them quickly, i would not unplug ANYTHING from the seatbelt because you could be compromising your safety
Old 03-29-10, 07:57 AM
SEBASS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legionofon
theres actually a small explosive similar to a airbag in the seatbelts that tightens them quickly, i would not unplug ANYTHING from the seatbelt because you could be compromising your safety
Question is after you unplug this do you guys know for certain that seatbelts work, meaning are not effected by the unplug?

I have the same issue but i'm kinda freaked out about messing around with seatbelts. If cleaning works i would wanna try that first.
Old 03-29-10, 01:19 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SEBASS
Question is after you unplug this do you guys know for certain that seatbelts work, meaning are not effected by the unplug?

I have the same issue but i'm kinda freaked out about messing around with seatbelts. If cleaning works i would wanna try that first.
i pulled and tugged on it and slammed my brakes to test. They seem to work fine. MUCH tighter than they were before. I read in other threads that this was what people were doing to help the problem. I have not read of any ill effects as yet. If anyone else has more info it would be appreciated
Old 03-29-10, 02:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Our cars have a seatbelt tensioner reducer. When you buckle up, the solenoid reduces the tension of the seatbelt, so it doesn't constantly pull on your shoulder. That solenoid that you unplugged is the tension reducer, so now your seatbelt is at full tension and may not be very comfortable. But also since it fixed the problem, that probably means that the problem isn't mechanical, but rather the switch in the buckle might be stuck in the "ON" position, so the tension reducer is always on, whether or not you're buckled in.

Were both of your seatbelts saggy or just the drivers side? I would look into the buckle first.
Old 03-29-10, 02:43 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Our cars have a seatbelt tensioner reducer. When you buckle up, the solenoid reduces the tension of the seatbelt, so it doesn't constantly pull on your shoulder. That solenoid that you unplugged is the tension reducer, so now your seatbelt is at full tension and may not be very comfortable. But also since it fixed the problem, that probably means that the problem isn't mechanical, but rather the switch in the buckle might be stuck in the "ON" position, so the tension reducer is always on, whether or not you're buckled in.

Were both of your seatbelts saggy or just the drivers side? I would look into the buckle first.
Both were saggy but passenger is no where near as bad as drivers side. It would become lose with any movement while in the seat. When i exit the car basically the entire seatbelt wont retract back in.

I have to tighten the seat belt by constantly buckling and unbuckling it only to have it loosen while driving just by my moving in my seat.

Now however, it does not get loose when driving, only loosens a bit if i lean. But it now retracts without much help
Old 03-29-10, 03:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds to be like the tension reducer was always on. If you ever get around to reconnect that plug, test if you feel any difference in tension when the seatbelt is buckled and unbuckled.

When the seatbelt is buckled, the tension reducer is on, and there should be almost no tension in the belt, definitely not enough to get it retracted by itself. Once you unbuckle, the reducer shuts off and the seatbelt should retract on its own (unless its twisted, then you need to give it a push).
Old 03-29-10, 04:27 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
sam, no it does not. But i don't need to adjust it up or down
Right, because what you're unplugging is the Anchor height adjustment motor. I could be wrong, but I don't see how it has anything to do with belt tension.

If anything, the seatbelt tensioner reducer is down by the spool which is below what is pictured in the first post. Am I wrong?

Last edited by AzHotLS; 03-29-10 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 07:58 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

azhotls, that is what it seems like. I pretty much just read other threads that did not go into much detail and came to this conclusion. Whether the tighter belt is a result of unplugging that, or possibly me knocking something into place/ out of place when i opened the panel I am not sure.

If someone else has a very loose belt, try this. If it helps well then theres something up.
Old 03-29-10, 11:46 PM
Iconoclast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on trying this tomorrow for the same problem, I hope it fixes the issue.

Quick Reply: 1990 - 1994 LS400 No Seatbelt Tension Fix (kinda)