LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Strutmasters Vs. Arnott

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-10, 05:10 PM
LexChamp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strutmasters Vs. Arnott

95 LS

I am in the process in converting to regular struts from air suspension. I'll like to hear from those who have made the change using any of these conversion kits to assist me in making this change. Question is simple; which one and why. Strutmasters are $587 and Arnotts are $599 on EBay. Thanks.
Old 04-01-10, 04:58 PM
Microsoft
Driver School Candidate

im in the same position as you..triyng to decide...doin research now..i'll update you.
Old 04-01-10, 05:20 PM
Microsoft
Driver School Candidate

"I have a thread on here about this somewhere.... I replaced mine with Arnott. I can't wait until they wear out so I can go with OEM. They are pretty lousy. Actually one of the rear ones failed in about a day and I had to send it back. Also one of the front ones had the lower portion rotated about 30 degrees from where it should be, and I sent it back too. The replacement front they sent was closer, but still rotated funny. I finally just took it to a strut shop to get adjusted...
Arnott said 'the ones you sent back tested out fine!' they are either lying or there are some serious QA testing problems there. I have receipts to back up that they were not 'fine'. Seriously...the product can only be assured as far as the quality of the tests.

The ride isn't bad, but when its cold out the rear ones sag and bottom out (hard) quite a bit, which doesn't seem right. Also it looks like the front rides a little too high.

I have no experience with strutmasters.

I am kicking myself for not going with OEM. Hope that helps. "

But that is from someone who installed the air suspension..let me find out about the coil version. some here in this forum installed the strutmaster one..i gotta search..if i remember, that person was happy with it. The car did sit a bit high, but thats frrom a bad air system and sagging car to brand new struts..maybe time will cause it to settle down a bit
Old 04-01-10, 05:53 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Microsoft (Mr. Gates),

Just to clarify, the Arnott's you currently have on are the air struts? Your other thread is inquiring about the conversion kit to struts & springs...
Old 04-01-10, 06:51 PM
LexChamp
Driver

I still have not made the change from air suspension to regular struts. I will have to soon as my LS is sagging from the left side. 1 thing that I noticed about Arnott is that it has a lifetime Warranty. How? I dont know.
Old 04-01-10, 07:13 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Microsoft, I had the same problem with the stock A/S and had to get rid of them. I did purchase the Strutmaster kit 3-4 years back, the ride was excellent, the kit comes with a lifetime warranty for as long as you own the car. You have many other options, so take your time and decide what's best for you.
Old 04-02-10, 04:03 AM
Microsoft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JimsGX
Microsoft (Mr. Gates),

Just to clarify, the Arnott's you currently have on are the air struts? Your other thread is inquiring about the conversion kit to struts & springs...

In my other thread i am looking for coils. Right now i have factory OEM Air struts. I noticed the height of the car is not even. the right rear is higher than the left rear adn same goes for the front. I dont know if it has anything to do withparking on a level spot. My garage seems level, but i will have to find a level spot to park on and see if the ride height is equal or not. When i drive the car, i dont notice anything out of the ordinary - all seems smooth without funny noises. i am just afraid what if the air struts go out on the freeway or something and i lose control of the car? is that possible?

Hey Lexchamp - I have a 2000 LS400. so if I were to get the coil and strut conversion i dont know how much difference in ride height appeareance or quality it would be vs a 1995. First i have to confirm my air struts are bad before i purchase a replacement.

Lexozz - Thanks for your input. i will do more research and post my findings before purchasing.

here is from a cadillac forum:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...er-98-sts.html

range rover forum:

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/vie...hp?f=3&t=14318

another forum:

http://www.varioustopics.com/lexus/6...or-arnott.html

Last edited by Microsoft; 04-02-10 at 04:10 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 10:07 AM
ck90211
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you get $ 587 for Strutmasters? On their web it's still like $639 or something. Is there a 10% off coupon floating somewhere? Thanks.

Last edited by ck90211; 04-02-10 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-02-10, 07:22 PM
LexChamp
Driver

$587 is the ebay price
Old 04-07-10, 04:31 PM
LexChamp
Driver

95 LS 190,000

Finally bought the Arnott Kit to change from Air Suspension to Coils. Did some search but was not able to find anything indicating what other parts should also be replaced when doing the change. Im running low on funds and would like to replace vital parts at this time. Anything that can wait I will take care at another time. I've had the car for over 3 years and I have not done any front or rear suspension work on the car, it has been solid. Thanks for your input
Old 04-07-10, 06:39 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck with the Arnott's. I'm still very happy with mine...

Jim
Old 04-07-10, 06:45 PM
ck90211
Driver

I recently ordered and received air struts from Arnott. Not cheap, but if you buy through a reseller/dealer (and they give you their prices) the prices are lower than even Amazon prices. Anyhow, after replacing turned out some of the polyurethane bushings are gone too. So definitely budget new bushings into budget.

Last edited by ck90211; 04-07-10 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 07:28 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

my experience--- i had air susp and put on arnott's myself on all 4 corners. after it settled a week or so, ride is noticably! harsher. to the point where a friend driving my car remarked how 'hard' my lexus rode, as it's supposed to be a 'supple' car, etc...
every little bump in the road is felt, etc... my miata and land cruiser both ride better, as defined by not feeling everything come up thru the body harshly.
Old 10-05-11, 02:28 PM
jdog0411
Rookie

This thread is over 5 months old.
Old 10-05-11, 06:01 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by jdog0411
This thread is over 5 months old.
Actually 18 months. And the original poster probably wont see this and well done with what he asked about way back then.

Quick Reply: Strutmasters Vs. Arnott