LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
View Poll Results: You be the Judge.... Please explain
Bushings
0%
Tie Rods and Ball Joints
75.00%
Steering Damper
0%
Steering Knuckle
0%
All of the Above
25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Trouble Shooting the Susp/Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 08:22 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble Shooting the Susp/Steering

Ok guys after searching the forums for a couple days I still don’t think I have my answer. Hope you guys can help me.

1996 LS400 w/Air Susp

Symptoms,

Steering wheel will jerk and car will wobble in its lane when I hit a bump or dip.

If I hit a dip feels like tires want to go in opposite directions as you can hear the tires squeal as they shift a little.

Load clunking sound when I hit bump

Steering wheel very loose and lots of play but does tighten up as speed increases but still very loose.

When I take a corner, steering wheel will not bring it self back to normal position it will just keep turning until I turn it back to go straight.

Thank You for all your help in advance…..

Last edited by TRULUX; 03-17-10 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 05:35 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Where is everybody? No input?
Old 03-17-10, 05:47 PM
Acidic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tie rod ends?
Old 03-17-10, 06:44 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe none of the above, strut bar cushions... What work have you done to inspect the front end components? Do you get any noise such as a groan when braking?
Old 03-17-10, 06:58 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

I have had it up in the air with the wheels on and off. Everything looks to be in order.. When I have the wheels on and try to move the wheel/tire it has a slight wobble so I think I need new tie rod ends but have a feeling this is a combo of a couple of things.
Old 03-17-10, 07:02 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

No noises while coming to a stop. Brakes work perfect!
Old 03-17-10, 07:12 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'd start with the outer tie rod ends and check the inners when you get the outers separated from the ball joint arms. It's easy enough to unbolt the knuckle from the lower ball joint and check out the LBJ's while your in there...
Old 03-17-10, 07:30 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Yep I also think that is the best place to start. Ordered the LBJ and TRE. That will most likely fix the wobble and the wheels feeling like they are moving seperate from each other while driving down the road. But would this explain the loose steering with the Steering wheel keep going in the direction it is turned. Let me explain a little more. When I move the steering wheel a 1/4 turn to the R or L, if I was to let off the wheel the steering wheel it will keep turning the direction I started moving it in until I am at 100% full turn of the steering wheel while I am doing donuts in the street. Man that was a mouthful so hope I could explain that right.
Old 03-17-10, 09:25 PM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

Why are you messing around with something as important as steering?

Have a Lexus Dealer or local mechanic inspect it as soon as possible to tell you what is wrong. Pay them for the inspection.

You stand to injure yourself, your car or one of us in the public.
I dont want you to hurt ME or MY car, or my wife or kids.

You get what you pay for, and all you are getting here is FREE advice.
Sounds like you dont know what youre doing, and its scary you are going to be working on your steering yourself.
Old 03-18-10, 12:32 AM
EUBT
Driver

Cool

Take it to a good alignment shop and have them check the front end. They'll check all your steering components and give you a report
Old 03-18-10, 01:32 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SLORICK
Why are you messing around with something as important as steering?

Have a Lexus Dealer or local mechanic inspect it as soon as possible to tell you what is wrong. Pay them for the inspection.

You stand to injure yourself, your car or one of us in the public.
I dont want you to hurt ME or MY car, or my wife or kids.

You get what you pay for, and all you are getting here is FREE advice.
Sounds like you dont know what youre doing, and its scary you are going to be working on your steering yourself.
so when the dealership fails and he (god forbid) still gets into an accident due to their negligence its alright? vs. getting informed opinions here, using his own judgement, and then (again, god forbid) something happening and it being somehow worse?

sorry, but if you get hit due to someone's negligence or someone's dealership's negligence, you still get hit.

i prefer people dont get hit at all.

do you work on any of your own vehicles? other than keeping them clean?

OP: back on track, replace the LBJs since they're probably due anyways, then (after jacking the car int he air) use a PRY BAR and put some stress on the strut rod bushing and the knuckle itself to check for torn/rotted bushings. also, give the strut assembly itself a good few jerks, and see if the top mount is perhaps destroyed. also, make sure you've given the car a good bounce test, and that the shocks themselves are not blown. the damper portion of the air shock can still go bad.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 03-18-10 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-18-10, 10:26 AM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

Lol Slorick you know what happens when you assume right? We need more people like you in this world that truly care...... What would make you think this is my only car? I have been working on my own cars for 15+ years now so I think I can handle changing out a few parts. I have even worked as a tech at a couple of shops when I was younger. But thanks again for caring.

Yeah I have the LBJ TRE and I am about to try this steering damper from Monroe. It's only $29 buck so it's worth a shot.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...ONROE%2BSC2957
Old 03-18-10, 03:20 PM
Acidic
Driver

Originally Posted by TRULUX
Lol Slorick you know what happens when you assume right? We need more people like you in this world that truly care...... What would make you think this is my only car? I have been working on my own cars for 15+ years now so I think I can handle changing out a few parts. I have even worked as a tech at a couple of shops when I was younger. But thanks again for caring.

Yeah I have the LBJ TRE and I am about to try this steering damper from Monroe. It's only $29 buck so it's worth a shot.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/cata...ONROE%2BSC2957
Is that a direct fit replacement? I need one too
Old 03-18-10, 07:44 PM
caliLS400
Driver School Candidate

check your rear struts bars, these have bushings just behind the rear rotors, if these are gone even if you have good struts your wheels will bounce all over. My local dealer sells after market ones for $20, this is a bushing with a metal housing that must be pressed, (or cheap garage style slammed in with a mallet and alot of grease).

I would also check the rack and pinion (steering damper like above), this may be gone too. That's why you are feeling the wheel shake on the steering wheel, a good rack and pinion absorbs those.

Never be afraid to work on your own ride, the best teaching is trial and error sometimes.