LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission problem '99 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-10, 09:01 PM
dantampa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission problem '99 LS400

Hello,

I tried searching the forums for my problem before posting but I didn't find any existing threads that seemed to describe what I'm experiencing.

I have a '99 LS400 with about 144k miles, bought the car with about 137k miles, about maybe a year ago, from the original owner with full service records, car is very clean and runs great. I've had no problems with it up until this point. I've had the $89 Lexus oil change treatment a few times and they always tell me my car is super clean.

Now, when driving the car after it has been parked for a length of time (say like 4 or 8 hours, overnight, etc), the shift from second gear to third gear is really odd. This has shown up only recently but has been very consistent for several weeks now. Instead of the car shifting where you would expect it to when in second gear and accelerating towards third gear, it instead holds in second gear and keeps on winding up the RPM and accelerating. Then, it shifts into third gear a bit firmly, and from there on out, this shift point is fine. I could be wrong be it also seems like the colder out it is, the worse this symptom is. Like, recently it was about 40 degrees out (pretty unusual around here in central Florida) and my car seemed to hold out from shifting into 3rd gear for longer than what is ever usual.

There is also something odd with the transmission when slowing down from say 3rd, 4th or 5th gear, into 1st or 2nd gear. For example, you are going 45 MPH down a major road and then you slow down to 5-10 MPH to turn down the side road to where your house is. Here, the transmission doesn't seem to know exactly which gear to go into, sometimes the car sort of lurches forward when it picks the right or the wrong gear. It's definitely a bit quirky in the area of downshifting into 2nd or 1st gear. It's difficult to explain this symptom exactly. Maybe someone can provide specific shifting symptoms I can check for.

It would be great if someone could help shed some light on what is going on.

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by dantampa; 03-02-10 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 03:22 AM
smokincigs
Rookie

Dan
My 1998 167k does the same thing sometimes first thing in the morning.
Old 03-03-10, 05:40 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it only happens once immediately after starting it in the cold it's normal. If it happens consistently for the entire drive then somethings wrong.
Old 03-03-10, 04:26 PM
ghenley
Rookie

My '98 does the same thing in the morning when it's cold.
Old 03-03-10, 05:24 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

This is normal behavior when the fluids are cold. You will also notice that overdrive is locked out till the car warms up. The car holds the gears longer so that it can warm up quicker. No need to worry about this unless it also behaves like this once the weather warms up or when the car is at normal operating temperature. Did you check the ATF fluid level with the car on and warmed up? What color is the ATF? Has it been recently changed? If not, and the fluid is dirty or burnt go ahead and do a drain and fill (NOT a FLUSH) make sure to only use TOYOTA TYPE-IV.

Last edited by hypervish; 03-03-10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-03-10, 06:49 PM
dantampa
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
This is normal behavior when the fluids are cold. You will also notice that overdrive is locked out till the car warms up. The car holds the gears longer so that it can warm up quicker. No need to worry about this unless it also behaves like this once the weather warms up or when the car is at normal operating temperature. Did you check the ATF fluid level with the car on and warmed up? What color is the ATF? Has it been recently changed? If not, and the fluid is dirty or burnt go ahead and do a drain and fill (NOT a FLUSH) make sure to only use TOYOTA TYPE-IV.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have the dealership check the ATF. I'll be in there soon for some new tires.
Old 03-03-10, 06:53 PM
dantampa
Rookie

Originally Posted by ghenley
My '98 does the same thing in the morning when it's cold.
Thanks for the reply. I'm also going to let the car warm up for a minute before leaving in the morning/after sitting. I've been starting my car each morning and then driving off within about 10-15 seconds. I guess I've been in a rush lately with my hectic full-time school schedule.
Old 03-04-10, 06:32 AM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i 3rd these comments, my '98 LS400 does this every time
Old 03-04-10, 06:51 AM
AVIA1541
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the comments, and a special thanks to the original post. I recently purchased a 98 LS400 86,000k. Due to all the snow we've been getting here I haven't been driving the car much (needs tires) Well after three weeks into my standard used car warranty I drove the car to work a few times this week and noticed the lagged shifting only once in the morning(cold). Now that I have read these postings, I can ease the anger that I was going to unleash on the dealer that sold me the car.
Old 03-04-10, 07:13 AM
AVIA1541
Driver School Candidate

If not, and the fluid is dirty or burnt go ahead and do a drain and fill (NOT a FLUSH) make sure to only use TOYOTA TYPE-IV.

Why drain and not flush?
Because when I purchased my car (Irvington, NJ) I immediately drove to Strauss and told them to flush the Tranny and change the oil.
Those idiots:
Put regular domestic transmission fluid in my car, Here's HOW I FOUND OUT.
They spilled so much oil on the engine, on the highway heading back to NYC where I live the car smoked heavily all the way home. Since It was closing time when I left Strauss, I called them the following morning, they told me to take it to the nearest Strauss location they'll check it out.

When the tech in NYC looked at the paper work he shook his head, I asked whats the matter, he replies "They put the wrong transmission fluid in your car" He called and ordered the correct fluid and wiped as much oil off the engine and exhaust as he could see
Old 03-04-10, 09:10 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

same thing on my camry. You will notice it more especially when going up hill in the morning. but just like others suggested, it goes away in a few minutes.

So just go easy in the morning/cold/uphill.... and it should be ok
Old 03-04-10, 09:40 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

No need to worry, 98' LS400 with 125K and does the same thing.
Old 03-04-10, 10:26 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Not sure about your LS, but I have heard that Mercedes trannies do this as well in order to heat the engine up faster in cold weather.
Old 03-04-10, 12:47 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You shouldn't flush because it usually dislodges "tranny sludge" from the valves and can clog the filter and starve the tranny for oil, this will lead to the death of the tranny.

Originally Posted by AVIA1541
If not, and the fluid is dirty or burnt go ahead and do a drain and fill (NOT a FLUSH) make sure to only use TOYOTA TYPE-IV.

Why drain and not flush?
Because when I purchased my car (Irvington, NJ) I immediately drove to Strauss and told them to flush the Tranny and change the oil.
Those idiots:
Put regular domestic transmission fluid in my car, Here's HOW I FOUND OUT.
They spilled so much oil on the engine, on the highway heading back to NYC where I live the car smoked heavily all the way home. Since It was closing time when I left Strauss, I called them the following morning, they told me to take it to the nearest Strauss location they'll check it out.

When the tech in NYC looked at the paper work he shook his head, I asked whats the matter, he replies "They put the wrong transmission fluid in your car" He called and ordered the correct fluid and wiped as much oil off the engine and exhaust as he could see
Old 03-04-10, 09:57 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hypervish maybe you should clarify and say you should not power flush. To do the flush (or better said complete fluid change) using the transmission cooler hose and with no cleaning additives is what needs to be done if not most of the fluid left is old.

Some of this is normal but if it is excessive it is probably a precursor to something evil this way comes. Also check your throttle to tranny cable adjustment

Quick Reply: Transmission problem '99 LS400