LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just got my 1st lexus * still ballin' like its 1990

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 01:38 AM
DIAMOND777
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just got my 1st lexus * still ballin' like its 1990

A friend owed me some cash so he gave me this 1990 LS 400. I own a 2000Celica GT-S and frequent newcelica.org. I must say this car runs as good as my wifes 2007 v6 Solara sle and a hella sweet change from my constant shifting on my manual 6 speed GT-S. it just hit 20 years and still runs great!

Just wnted to get some advise on possible reoairs & its value....

Here are some details.. 1990 lexus ls 400 with 250,000 miles, interior is grey leather complete with both power seats, everything is operational electrically other than the steering wheel tilt dosent go up or down only foward and back.

The engine has 250,000 miles and runs like a dream but at speeds over 60 when pressing hard on the gas the car will SPUTTER a lil then resume with smooth driving. I figure it might be a fuel delivery issue as for the most part it runs great other than when i have gunned the car.

So please give me some insight on my new car, things i need to do and loook out for. What is wrong with the sputtering and suspension... Or just any advise on maintaining and modifying my New LEXO!!
I just drove the car to Solvang in San Ynez valley & Santa Barbara! It was so plush and a joy to drive!!

The only thing that might need repaired soon is the compresor on the driverside for the air bag as its constantly working to add air to the driverside. Also when parked, one side is a litle lower & will only level out until I turn the car on the car elevates from the air suspension.

I took it out for a small road trip as a test & it passed with B+++ (only complaint is small loss of power when hitting the gas pedal hard, airbag problem & small cosmetic stuff).. even with these little problems, I have driven it every day and my gt-s is gathering dust.

Here is a picture of the Whip in a Winery Grape Field in Solvang.

Old 02-16-10, 04:02 AM
vdeleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations!!! It's weird...just got my '99 LS400 2 weeks ago and I used to drive a 2000 Celica GT (no S), I will be handling down the Celica to my oldest boy this year and saw the deal on the LS400 and grab it. Maybe PUREDRIFTER can chime in on your problems...
Old 02-16-10, 04:21 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Has it had a 'complete' tune-up recently? That alone may take care of the sputtering.
Air shock is leaking. Only reasonable replacement I have seen is from Arnott.
My wife had a 2000 Celica. Toyota definitely makes some nice cars.
Old 02-16-10, 06:34 AM
rojo412
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats man, that thing looks HOT! Just got my '90 a few days ago and am currently doing a bit of troubleshooting myslef. Good luck with it all, there's a lot of info on this site.
Old 02-16-10, 08:54 AM
BeBe
Driver School Candidate

Congrats! I just bought a 1990 last week. It is perfect, looks like it was just off the showroom! I can agree with what you said about the ride. Just make sure you get everything checked out and you should be fine! I am going through the motions of troubleshooting hopefully a simple problem myself, but good luck with this nice looking car!
Old 02-16-10, 09:05 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At its age I would argue your better off replacing the suspension altogether, you have multiple inexpensive options (coilovers for under a g) or you can go to stock struts/springs for even less.

The sputter is most likely your throttle body, I would wager a complete tune up and maybe light seafoaming will take car of that issue.

typical things to look out for is that climate control lcd screen blacking out, you can get a replacement on ebay or DIY at lexls.com (has tutorials for everything on our cars).

the power steering tends to leak on our cars as well, it can get into the intake (causing white smoke on startup) or even worse leak on our alternators, all things to check for. search for egr delete on this website for more info.

good luck with the joy you just found! I love these first gens so much I plan on owning another one in the near future.

and also at THERMACTOR, I think you should change your signature, I don't think you have even the slightest inkling on what vipstyle is and therefore shouldn't be forming uneducated opinions on it thanks.
Old 02-16-10, 10:12 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

Your gf/wife in the pax seat is probably enjoying the ride! They are very comfortable cars!
Old 02-16-10, 10:18 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^ congrats on the ride. looks clean

The only thing I'd worry about is like what everyone said, maintenance and any possible leaks.
Old 02-16-10, 10:36 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Hey, we are all entitled to our opinions. You like VIP style, that's cool. I don't like VIP style, also cool. What good would the forum be if it's just a bunch of people agreeing with each other?
You have a point, but your sig is really more of just a slanderous statement towards the style as a whole rather than something specific you don't like such as "I find the early 90s vip style to be very wild, unattractive, and ricey. You see making a general statement like the one in your sig displays more that you know nothing to little of the style. Saying "I don't like vipstyle- just say NO" is much more of an opinion than "VIP IS RICE"

Do you see what Im getting at? I respect your purist taste but the statement you made is not a reflection of intelligence or really even educated opinion and I think you can do better.
Old 02-16-10, 11:40 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

ok, I have to admit I LOL'ed at that. tip of the hat to you sir hahahahaha