LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I had to do it... test drove a '99 Q45t.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-10, 02:40 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I had to do it... test drove a '99 Q45t.

Well I just recently had a thread up about my first time driving a LS400. It was a 1995 with 191,000 miles. To say the least, I was VERY impressed with the overall build quality and the way it handled.

Anyways today I test drove a 1999 Infiniti Q45t, to compare. Wow I must say that the Q45 is not in the LS400's league. Yes it is a V8 with similar power, but I walked away thinking "was that meant to compete with the LS400?"

The transmission was not as smooth and it did not respond the way the LS400's transmission did when getting on the throttle. Also, the torque delivery from the engine did not feel as linear.

The first impression I had of the Q45t was not good either. I got into the driver's seat and looked at my surroundings. I was NOT impressed. The buttons and overall layout felt like a Nissan Maxima! Not to say that there's anything wrong with a Maxima, but this is the top of the line flagship sedan. It did not feel special in the way I would expect.

Another point to make is that this was the Q45t and the handling just felt horrible. It was definitely one of the worst handling vehicles I ever drove. Probably second to a 1998 3.5RL that I drove. I can only imagine how bad it would have been if it were an ordinary Q45...

I truly understand now why the resale value of these vehicles are so low. For a couple more thousand dollars you can have a LS400. Maybe the earlier gen Q45s were more comparable? I don't know, but I am definitely waiting for a LS400.

By the way the 1999 Q45t had 140,000 miles and is going for about $4,300. I do have to say it is tempting to pick it up at that low price, but I realize that I probably couldn't get my money back if I were to try and sell it.
Old 02-10-10, 03:57 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second hand market is an awesome judge of a car's true worth. That's why nobody wants those Q45s.
Old 02-10-10, 04:25 PM
TRDwhtMK3
Driver School Candidate

I must say myself when i picked my UCF20 up, it had 230,000 miles (in great shape too!) and still to this day drives like it's brand new! Everytime I have to drive my dad's 05 Land Rover LR3 to the airport, I am highly annoyed.
Old 02-10-10, 05:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, the first gen Q45, which debuted shorty after the original LS400, was in many ways superior to the LS400. It wasn't anywhere nearly as well built and its interior was terrible, but its drivetrain was great. It had a 4.5 liter V8 with variable valve timing, forged rods and cams, 6 bolt main, timing chain, 4 wheel steering, active suspension.

The 2nd gen Q45 however, was a POS. It had a much less powerful 4.1 V8 with less tech, less sophisticated drivetrain and suspension. It was also ugly. Nissan got it totally backwards with this car.
Old 02-10-10, 06:46 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

i like the way q45s look but nissan just have never been my cup of tea
Old 02-10-10, 06:53 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Well, the first gen Q45, which debuted shorty after the original LS400, was in many ways superior to the LS400. It wasn't anywhere nearly as well built and its interior was terrible, but its drivetrain was great. It had a 4.5 liter V8 with variable valve timing, forged rods and cams, 6 bolt main, timing chain, 4 wheel steering, active suspension.

The 2nd gen Q45 however, was a POS. It had a much less powerful 4.1 V8 with less tech, less sophisticated drivetrain and suspension. It was also ugly. Nissan got it totally backwards with this car.
That is weird. I know quite a lot about cars, but never knew this about the Infiniti Q45... Why would they make less horsepower in a newer model? I can't think of too many cars that ever had such a thing happen to them.

I do have to say that the '99 Q45t that I test drove does look quite good, but I wonder if I'd feel the same way day after day.

After looking at used cars for years, I must admit that I am impressed that a V8 sedan of that mileage and year can be SO low. I'm still somewhat interested in picking it up... (just to let you know, it has brand new tires all around, new front rotors/pads, new radiator, recently valve cover gasket replaced with records for all)

I get more confused when I look at the specifications. I compared the '99 Q45 and the '95 LS400. (similar prices on the used car market) The LS400 is lighter! Can you believe it? The Q45 looks like it is somewhat smaller. And comparing the interior leg/hip/shoulder room, the Q45 IS smaller! How does it add up?

Anyways I'm doing a lot of thinking and your input can only sway me one way or the other...
Old 02-10-10, 08:05 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't test driven a Q45 of that year but I have started one up at the used car lot that looked to be in great shape. I was expecting Lexus like smoothness and quietness and was shocked when I could feel and hear the engine! It is nowhere close to the LS as far as engineering. However they look just as good or better fixed up since you can put some serious low offset wheels with massive lips with just a fender roll .
Old 02-10-10, 08:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
That is weird. I know quite a lot about cars, but never knew this about the Infiniti Q45... Why would they make less horsepower in a newer model? I can't think of too many cars that ever had such a thing happen to them.

I do have to say that the '99 Q45t that I test drove does look quite good, but I wonder if I'd feel the same way day after day.

After looking at used cars for years, I must admit that I am impressed that a V8 sedan of that mileage and year can be SO low. I'm still somewhat interested in picking it up... (just to let you know, it has brand new tires all around, new front rotors/pads, new radiator, recently valve cover gasket replaced with records for all)

I get more confused when I look at the specifications. I compared the '99 Q45 and the '95 LS400. (similar prices on the used car market) The LS400 is lighter! Can you believe it? The Q45 looks like it is somewhat smaller. And comparing the interior leg/hip/shoulder room, the Q45 IS smaller! How does it add up?

Anyways I'm doing a lot of thinking and your input can only sway me one way or the other...
Well, the first and second gen Q45's were based on two different Nissan's. The second Q45 was based on a much lesser Nissan model, forgive me for not remembering the details. I know the first one was based on Nissan President, which was a Royal sedan in Japan, but the second one was based on a much cheaper Nissan, and its a much lesser car, not just the engine.

As to why, well, mid-late 90ies was very tough time for Nissan, they almost went bust. They were saved by Renault, and were cutting costs all over.

In any case, 140k is a lot of miles, but $4300 is very cheap. Just make sure that the car is in sound mechanical condition and check that it hasn't been in major accident. I'm kind of curious why it seemed to handle terribly, as handling is one of Q45's strongest attributes. Hidden suspension/chassis problem perhaps?
Old 02-10-10, 08:46 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
In any case, 140k is a lot of miles, but $4300 is very cheap. Just make sure that the car is in sound mechanical condition and check that it hasn't been in major accident. I'm kind of curious why it seemed to handle terribly, as handling is one of Q45's strongest attributes. Hidden suspension/chassis problem perhaps?
I've check the autocheck records and it has one minor collision. It states "a rear impact with another vehicle." "Minor damage reported."

I felt the car handled bad in the sense that it did not provide feedback to the driver. I think it would take some getting use to. Also the turn in was odd to me... then again I haven't driven many rear wheel drive full size sedans.

I think the main reason why it felt like it handled bad is because the suspension inspires confidence, but when you try to throw it around it doesn't feel so confident with all that weight.

As for what you stated about this gen Q45 being based off of a lesser Nissan model, I am not surprised. Looking at pictures of the interior and from memory, it seems like a cheaper vehicle than it was when new.

The way I see it, the '99 Q45t is like a mid level luxury car with the power of a well tuned V6. Similar to a Maxima, but just a little different.

Imo, with $4,300.00 it would be difficult to find a comparable vehicle of this condition. Please give feedback on this because I'm sure there's more vehicles I'm not thinking of...
Old 02-10-10, 09:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
I've check the autocheck records and it has one minor collision. It states "a rear impact with another vehicle." "Minor damage reported."

I felt the car handled bad in the sense that it did not provide feedback to the driver. I think it would take some getting use to. Also the turn in was odd to me... then again I haven't driven many rear wheel drive full size sedans.

I think the main reason why it felt like it handled bad is because the suspension inspires confidence, but when you try to throw it around it doesn't feel so confident with all that weight.

As for what you stated about this gen Q45 being based off of a lesser Nissan model, I am not surprised. Looking at pictures of the interior and from memory, it seems like a cheaper vehicle than it was when new.

The way I see it, the '99 Q45t is like a mid level luxury car with the power of a well tuned V6. Similar to a Maxima, but just a little different.

Imo, with $4,300.00 it would be difficult to find a comparable vehicle of this condition. Please give feedback on this because I'm sure there's more vehicles I'm not thinking of...
Well, here's the way I see it - there are downsides to the Q45, for for $4300 it is a very good value, as long as it is in a good mechanical condition and interior/exterior are not trashed.

However as with any vehicle with such high mileage, be prepared to spent money on some repairs. So if you're on a tight budget, you're probably better off buying a car that is not as advanced, for instance Accord, Camry, and so on, - they will be much cheaper to maintain and repair.
Old 02-10-10, 09:21 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Well, here's the way I see it - there are downsides to the Q45, for for $4300 it is a very good value, as long as it is in a good mechanical condition and interior/exterior are not trashed.

However as with any vehicle with such high mileage, be prepared to spent money on some repairs. So if you're on a tight budget, you're probably better off buying a car that is not as advanced, for instance Accord, Camry, and so on, - they will be much cheaper to maintain and repair.
I definitely agree and I've been telling myself this since I started searching for a car, but the current owner seems to be the type to do all service at the dealer and not mind spending money on OEM parts.

He bought it at 104,000 miles in May of 2009 and put 37,000 miles on it in that time. When he first got the car he did a tune up with sparkplugs and fluid changeat the dealership. Then he also had the valve gasket and front rotors/pads done during his ownership. And the new tires are 3 weeks old.

From the records provided, the owner has spent $2,000+ on the car in the last 9 or so months of ownership. He tells me he wants to get into a Lincoln Navigator or a SUV of some sort. I don't know why, but I feel that I can get a reliable car because the owner simply no longer wants the vehicle.

From my understanding I should be good on maintenance for a good while. I can only imagine doing a transmission flush, if that hasn't been done.

Och, I really appreciate the comments/suggestions. I'm just terribly confused at the moment. I grew up always wanting a V8 and now there's one available at a decent price and should be reliable. Given it is rather boring in terms of the way it drives... Oh and the build quality of the interior, lol.
Old 02-10-10, 09:50 PM
ck90211
Driver

For $4300 (and if handling and luxury are major concerns for you) I would buy a late 90's BMW 740iL. If maintained (verifiable with service records and receipts) E38's are solid, great handling and very comfy. Earlier years may have problems with engine cylinder liner (Nikasil I think), transmission, radiator, but later 90's and early 2000's are good years. Parts/labor are pricier than Lexus, but it sure is one of the best handling big car for the money. In SoCal one can find many 98 or newer 740iL for less than $4K now (with 150-200K miles).
Old 02-10-10, 10:09 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ck90211
For $4300 (and if handling and luxury are major concerns for you) I would buy a late 90's BMW 740iL. If maintained (verifiable with service records and receipts) E38's are solid, great handling and very comfy. Earlier years may have problems with engine cylinder liner (Nikasil I think), transmission, radiator, but later 90's and early 2000's are good years. Parts/labor are pricier than Lexus, but it sure is one of the best handling big car for the money. In SoCal one can find many 98 or newer 740iL for less than $4K now (with 150-200K miles).
I will look into the 740iL, but I must say that I am hesitant when it comes to German cars. I know very little about them and I am pretty sure that reliability is not going to up to Japanese standards. Reliability is my number one concern.
Old 02-10-10, 10:24 PM
ck90211
Driver

Ok if reliability is a concern than why look at anything other than Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura? Thought you wanted sportiness and luxury (since that was your complaint about the Q45). I had MB's and their electronics and transmissions are very unreliable (the engines, especially the diesels and inline 6's are amazing though). And had Audi's that were even worse (engine problems on top of transmission and electronics).
Old 02-10-10, 10:33 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Very true, I agree that Toyota/Honda products are top of line in terms of reliablity, but I never thought Nissan to be far behind. Or am misinformed?

Yes sportiness is nice, but right now I want a blend of cruiser/luxury/reliability/low cost to maintain. I'm beginning to think a Maxima may suit me better...?

Quick Reply: I had to do it... test drove a '99 Q45t.