LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help! Very weird problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-10, 04:51 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Very weird problem

Im new here,and have been reading for weeks about the cars and probs and tryna get my ls up to par,i pretty much built this thing from scratch after buying three ragged parts cars,anyway when i drive at a steady low speed of like 25 -30 or 35 i get a clunking jerking feel and sound,my first thought was the converter is lock and unlocking at that certain speed,however i have drivin the car in different gears and while riding the brake as well to make sure the lockup is disengaged,and have still not figured out this problem,it almost feels like a driveline slop,i a get a clunk when goin from forward to reverse in the rear which i fell is related however ive been under the car and can find nothing loose or worn.i have also had someone preload the suspension and powerbrake it while i look and can still not see any thing move,as far a the condition of the car throttle body is spotless,new plugs,wires,both caps and rotors,timing belt,water pump,tensioners,fan bracket assm,motor mounts,trans mount,and a ton of front end parts,car drives excellent except for this issue,and i have run out of ideas,and this is the first lexus ive ever owed,however i like it enough,that i went and bought gs as well,please help
Old 01-31-10, 06:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

correct the grammar and formatting, then il consider trying to reread this.

remember, PERIODS MATTER! (.)

Last edited by PureDrifter; 02-01-10 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-01-10, 03:19 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

Sorry,i have never even used a site like this. EVER! or a computer that much either for that matter.ill try and rewrite it clearer for you..................again sorry
Old 02-01-10, 03:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

try looking at the cushions on the rear diff mounts.
Old 02-01-10, 04:43 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I would suggest looking at your u-joints in the driveshaft, they could be worn. That might be where you're hearing the clunk in the rear when you go from drive to reverse. Jack the car up, put in nuetral, see if it moves when you turn it or jiggle it.
Old 02-01-10, 05:03 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loosen the transmission cable on the throttle body and tighten the throttle cable a tiny bit, see if it helps. Helped on the '95.
Old 02-09-10, 08:27 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies,and the help.Its nice to be a part of so much great information.Well i checked all the diff cusions,universal joints,center support,and again all the mounts.However i was not able to find my problem.So as bad as i hate to do this,i took the car to lexus.A friend of mine is the general manger,so i probly wont get head busted.However they have had the car going on 6 days and have yet to come up with a diagnosis.Im sure my stuff is kind of on the back burner,but ive been on 2 test drives with 2 different technicians and they are both stumped.On another note,i dropped my transmission pan while the motor and trans was out as well as my lower oil pan,and cleaned and resealed both.Now the awesome part-lexus did a trans flush(service advisor stated as a fix) and it didnt correct the problem.So they are not charging me for it. (SWEEET!)
Old 02-09-10, 09:54 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Free transmission flush? Deal but how many miles does that transmission have on it and has it been maintained?
Old 02-09-10, 10:16 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hope you don't have the same issue I had in my 4runner. Had a pebble in the rear drum brake. Since the lexus has disks on the rear check your parking brake drum and see if something is loose inside there
Old 02-13-10, 10:17 AM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

Well guys,no luck picked up the car today and drove it home,sad and dissapointed.Not only did my car not get diagnosed,i kinda ran my mouth a lil to much at them,because of their lack of expertise on the car.How can the dealer tell you (they dont know).I was furious.The car is going to millenium autosports on monday,they are a very reputable import shop.Even though this will probly be the first ls they have worked on,they have several(high powered supras,gs,and sc's around.So im gonna let them give it a go.The only thing i can say good about the dealer,was they didnt charge me anything.However money isnt an issue at this point.I just want to drive the car.But i refuse to throw parts at it.
Old 02-21-10, 08:26 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

So here we are weeks later and great news the noise is gone . They replaced my rear diff front bushing and shes smooth as glass no noise.However the noise is gone but the car still seems to jerk and it even feels slow at times.I also noticed it seems to burn through fuel like no tommorow.So ive been tryna narrow down my symptom and this is what i came up with.If i set the car at a steady speed(by foot or with cruise) the car will jerk.It is a missfire type jerking.The reason i say this is i have felt the same jerk or miss under wot or while in neutral.Now the other weird thing is the car feels slow.What i mean by that is.....if i take off from a dead stop and hold my foot at any particular position,the car will take off slow and eventually blast off,amost like its "turbocharged" is the feeling.So im curious is this a throttle body issue with the 2 butterflies not working together correctly or what? Im so close to taking this thing to the paint shop,but i need all the bugs gone first sorry to be a pest but helllllllllllllllllllllllllp please! and yes im begging ....
Old 02-22-10, 06:32 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ROLEXUS400
So here we are weeks later and great news the noise is gone . They replaced my rear diff front bushing and shes smooth as glass no noise.However the noise is gone but the car still seems to jerk and it even feels slow at times.I also noticed it seems to burn through fuel like no tommorow.So ive been tryna narrow down my symptom and this is what i came up with.If i set the car at a steady speed(by foot or with cruise) the car will jerk.It is a missfire type jerking.The reason i say this is i have felt the same jerk or miss under wot or while in neutral.Now the other weird thing is the car feels slow.What i mean by that is.....if i take off from a dead stop and hold my foot at any particular position,the car will take off slow and eventually blast off,amost like its "turbocharged" is the feeling.So im curious is this a throttle body issue with the 2 butterflies not working together correctly or what? Im so close to taking this thing to the paint shop,but i need all the bugs gone first sorry to be a pest but helllllllllllllllllllllllllp please! and yes im begging ....
This is the exact feeling I have with mine. Mine doesn't "jerk" but I can feel it pulling back a little. It pings alot while holding it at WOT after shifting into second gear. Also there is a burnt smell when I get out of the car. I'm also trying to figure out what it is with no luck. If you, or anyone, figures it out, PLEASE let me know what it is.
Old 02-22-10, 08:32 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ROLEXUS400
So here we are weeks later and great news the noise is gone . They replaced my rear diff front bushing and shes smooth as glass no noise. However the noise is gone but the car still seems to jerk and it even feels slow at times. I also noticed it seems to burn through fuel like no tommorow. So ive been tryna narrow down my symptom and this is what i came up with. If i set the car at a steady speed(by foot or with cruise) the car will jerk. It is a missfire type jerking. The reason i say this is i have felt the same jerk or miss under wot or while in neutral. Now the other weird thing is the car feels slow. What i mean by that is.....if i take off from a dead stop and hold my foot at any particular position,the car will take off slow and eventually blast off,amost like its "turbocharged" is the feeling. So im curious is this a throttle body issue with the 2 butterflies not working together correctly or what? Im so close to taking this thing to the paint shop, but i need all the bugs gone first sorry to be a pest but helllllllllllllllllllllllllp please! and yes im begging ....
Grammar fixed. Add a space after each period as well.
Old 02-22-10, 11:40 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
This is the exact feeling I have with mine. Mine doesn't "jerk" but I can feel it pulling back a little. It pings alot while holding it at WOT after shifting into second gear. Also there is a burnt smell when I get out of the car. I'm also trying to figure out what it is with no luck. If you, or anyone, figures it out, PLEASE let me know what it is.
Maybe some problems with the AFM (Air fuel meter)? See attached pdf on how to check it. A other thing that comes in mind that could affect ROLEXUS400's bad gas millage is the Coolant Temperature Sensor. See this post for more info, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ange-pics.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 02-22-10, 12:13 PM
ROLEXUS400
Rookie

Schnitz- I will do my best,and please belive im trying.
JAndersson- Im gonna get on those immediately.
Furthermore guys thanks again for all the help

Quick Reply: Help! Very weird problem