Gas mileage...good-bad (The Mother thread) - Page 4 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

Gas mileage...good-bad (The Mother thread)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-03, 09:19 PM   #46
bluestar
Lexus Champion
 
bluestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MA
Posts: 4,654
Default '95 s420 and '92 ls400

The '95 S420 has a 26 gal tank, while the '92 LS400 has a 22gal tank. There is a difference here. But if you are getting a 2mpg higher on the heavier S420 (4700 Ib vs 3759 Ib), maybe the aerodynamic coefficient of drag is lower on the S than on the LS !!! But 24mpg on a '92 LS is darn good. On my '99 (with the 5-speed vvt-i) the best I have ever done is 22mpg at 80MPH cruise speed on a 150mile trip. I'd be happy with 24mpg and not diss it.

Last edited by bluestar; 02-18-03 at 09:20 PM.
bluestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 12:19 AM   #47
LIGHTYEAR
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Upnor,Kent
Posts: 49
Default Suprised

Hi Guys,

at a steady 75 mph on the motorway, over long journeys, with some agressive overtaking and the occassional crawl in traffic my 1995 LS400 returns about 28 - 30 mpg.

However, the imperial gallon (UK) is slightly larger than the US gallon so maybe that explains some of the difference.

I am shocked to hear some of you are getting less than 20 mpg on a long haul, obviously around town efficiency deteriorates pretty rapidly!

Please bear in mind that petrol is around $5.50 per gallon in the UK - more than double what you lucky people in the US pay !!!!
LIGHTYEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 02:38 AM   #48
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.
 
retrodrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: California
Posts: 4,810
Default

Aerodynamics is better on LS...in fact it is better then Corvette's. Hard to believe isn't it?
retrodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 03:07 AM   #49
LIGHTYEAR
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Upnor,Kent
Posts: 49
Default Wind tunnel technology

It is amazing how low the drag factor is on the LS400, from the very first MK1's upto the latest LS430's.

It just goes to show that the designers put the wind tunnel technology to very good use for this car, as much as they did for the Japanese Bullet Train and that baby goes faster than any Lexus !!!

Indeed the drag coefficient on the first generation LS400 still compares favourably to many of the latest model BMW's and MB's.

You have to hand it to those Japanese designers, it may look sometimes like a snub nosed brute - but boy does it work.
LIGHTYEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 06:43 AM   #50
ychachad
Pole Position
 
ychachad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 393
Default Re: Suprised

Yes, 1 US gal = 3.78 litres
1 Engligh Gal = 4.55 litres
so your 28-30 translates into 23-25 mpg, but your cost per mile is 2.5 times higher!!!!

Y. Chachad

Quote:
Originally posted by LIGHTYEAR
Hi Guys,

at a steady 75 mph on the motorway, over long journeys, with some agressive overtaking and the occassional crawl in traffic my 1995 LS400 returns about 28 - 30 mpg.

However, the imperial gallon (UK) is slightly larger than the US gallon so maybe that explains some of the difference.

I am shocked to hear some of you are getting less than 20 mpg on a long haul, obviously around town efficiency deteriorates pretty rapidly!

Please bear in mind that petrol is around $5.50 per gallon in the UK - more than double what you lucky people in the US pay !!!!

Last edited by ychachad; 02-19-03 at 06:44 AM.
ychachad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 06:52 AM   #51
LIGHTYEAR
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Upnor,Kent
Posts: 49
Default Ripped Off !!!

Yes YCHACHAD, thanks for the explanation, that makes sense, but what really does not make sense is the way we are so ripped off by our government(s) here in the UK for the price of fuel.

80 pence in the pound goes straight in the pocket of the Chancellor of the Exchequor - nice work if you can get it !!!

Might explain why we do not have as many nice big engined motors as you people over the pond !!!
LIGHTYEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 07:09 AM   #52
Lvangundy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Driving habits have A LOT to do with it..

I could get 100 miles to the 3/4 mark if I really try..I've got a picture to prove it.

I don't think the owners manual specifies getting 24MPG even on highway. It might be the 'MAX' but I'd guess you're driving at 55mph the whole time.

24MPG? I'm a little skeptical..but if you are getting 24MPG your LS must be in excellent engine condition.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 08:12 AM   #53
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 824
Default

Interesting my fathers S420 doesn't get any where close to 26 mpg.

Specs wise the 95 S420 wieghs 4,700 lbs and gets 20 mpg hwy while the 92 LS400 weighs 3,700 lbs and gets 23 mpg hwy.

Maybe you just got an exceptional MB and at the same time a good LS too.
Consider yourself lucky!
SQ-LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 08:13 AM   #54
ychachad
Pole Position
 
ychachad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 393
Default

Been doing the trip from South Bend, IN to Morgantown WV for 1 year now, twice a month. Fill up just on the IN turnpike, drive straight to MT, 2 rest stops on the turnpike plaza, all interstate. No going through the town. No question about accuracy. Yesterday I got almost 500 miles before the fuel light came on. Again, 24 mpg.
Y. Chachad.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lvangundy
Driving habits have A LOT to do with it..

I could get 100 miles to the 3/4 mark if I really try..I've got a picture to prove it.

I don't think the owners manual specifies getting 24MPG even on highway. It might be the 'MAX' but I'd guess you're driving at 55mph the whole time.

24MPG? I'm a little skeptical..but if you are getting 24MPG your LS must be in excellent engine condition.
ychachad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 10:21 AM   #55
ychachad
Pole Position
 
ychachad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 393
Default

My 1995 MB S420 was owned by a 70 year old, and it was his vacation car!!! It is literally a brand new car that happens to be 8 years old.


Quote:
Originally posted by SQ-LS
Interesting my fathers S420 doesn't get any where close to 26 mpg.

Specs wise the 95 S420 wieghs 4,700 lbs and gets 20 mpg hwy while the 92 LS400 weighs 3,700 lbs and gets 23 mpg hwy.

Maybe you just got an exceptional MB and at the same time a good LS too.
Consider yourself lucky!
ychachad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 12:16 PM   #56
Gabeshell
Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 144
Default

Ychachad,

I see in another post that your LS400 has 180,000 miles on the clock. I think that considering you have that kind of mileage 23 mpg is outstanding. Since the MB has only 70K on the clock I can understand the mpg difference.
Gabeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-03, 08:05 AM   #57
rybikowsky
Driver
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 174
Default

Comments have been deleted

Last edited by SQ-LS; 02-20-03 at 12:40 PM.
rybikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-03, 09:15 AM   #58
ychachad
Pole Position
 
ychachad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 393
Default

Thanks

Last edited by ychachad; 02-23-03 at 05:02 PM.
ychachad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-03, 09:32 AM   #59
LS400
Club Lexus Editor
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: CA
Posts: 340
Default

Ychachad, just some background history. The LS400 was the mass-produced luxury vehicle that set the standards when it came to gas mileage (along with everything else practically). Before the LS400 (and during the early years of the LS400), BMW and Mercedes Benz cars were getting horrible mileage (way less than 20 MPG). The typical mileage of the LS400 is around 20 MPG (depending on how hard you drive the car). Personally, 24 MPG going 70 MPH-consistent is an excellent ratio!

So now that the competition has caught back up with Lexus, you can see the vast improvements of gas mileage (along with reliability, dependability, etc.) from BMW and Mercedes. It could you (driving style) or your MB, but 26 MPG contant is a rare breed (even with today's MB models).

But also remember, your LS400 is more than a decade years old while your Mercedes Benz is not as old (and you did say it was never driven hard from its previous owner).

If you think your LS400 has more mileage potential, I'd recommend getting it checked out by a trusted mechanic or dealer. Have them do a full-checkup on the engine as well as check the o2 sensors.

Previously, on my 1993 LS400, the o2 sensors were broken, thus draining gas.

Last edited by LS400; 02-20-03 at 09:59 AM.
LS400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-03, 12:12 PM   #60
ychachad
Pole Position
 
ychachad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 393
Default

Thanks for a wonderfully positive post, I'll certainly take your suggestions to heart.

Quote:
Originally posted by LS400
Ychachad, just some background history. The LS400 was the mass-produced luxury vehicle that set the standards when it came to gas mileage (along with everything else practically). Before the LS400 (and during the early years of the LS400), BMW and Mercedes Benz cars were getting horrible mileage (way less than 20 MPG). The typical mileage of the LS400 is around 20 MPG (depending on how hard you drive the car). Personally, 24 MPG going 70 MPH-consistent is an excellent ratio!

So now that the competition has caught back up with Lexus, you can see the vast improvements of gas mileage (along with reliability, dependability, etc.) from BMW and Mercedes. It could you (driving style) or your MB, but 26 MPG contant is a rare breed (even with today's MB models).

But also remember, your LS400 is more than a decade years old while your Mercedes Benz is not as old (and you did say it was never driven hard from its previous owner).

If you think your LS400 has more mileage potential, I'd recommend getting it checked out by a trusted mechanic or dealer. Have them do a full-checkup on the engine as well as check the o2 sensors.

Previously, on my 1993 LS400, the o2 sensors were broken, thus draining gas.
ychachad is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4RX Mileage Thread ccb777 RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) 103 09-10-16 09:04 AM
Gas mileage Titten GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) 16 12-15-14 05:02 PM
Horrible gas mileage! djpeakSD GS - 4th Gen (2013-present) 19 09-08-14 10:17 AM
got 27mpg straight highway driving cartmill Performance & Maintenance 14 04-13-12 09:46 AM
Consumer Reports: Fuel Economy Overstated Gojirra99 Car Chat 5 09-09-05 11:22 AM


Tags
00, 1991, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2003, 21mpg, 225gallons, 2ngmiles, 350, 400, 450, 470, 8942220010, 92, average, bad, car, cars, change, computer, cost, current, driving, drop, economy, edmonds, efficiency, empty, es, es300, ethanol, exterior, factory, fill, foot, forum, fuel, fuel economy, full, gal, gallon, gallons, gas, gen, generation, high, highway, hs250h, idle, iridium, is09, is300, la, lexas, lexus, light, lightfoot, ls, ls40, ls400, ls430, lx, lx400, milage, mileage, miles, mpg, oil, orignal, pics, real, red, rims, road, series, small, sudden, takes, tank, tips, trip, ucf10, world

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved