LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 ls 400 sub gone with wireing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 09:50 PM
dleadlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 ls 400 sub gone with wireing

i got a 91 ls and and i had to put in all new speakers and head unit for this car it still has the 6 disc cd changer in the back but i dont think its hooked up and i cant find the wires to hook up the sub so i rigged it from the front of the head to one of the back speakers and when i plug in that amp on the side it sounds bad and distorted when the bass hits
if any one could help me i will be greatly appericiated

Last edited by dleadlexus; 01-11-10 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 09:52 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

?,

Is this a question or an update of your ride?
Old 01-11-10, 10:02 PM
ClutchOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dleadlexus

i rigged it from the front of the head to one of the back speakers and when i plug in that amp on the side it sounds bad and distorted when the bass hits

dynaMat or Blown Speaker
Old 01-11-10, 10:06 PM
dleadlexus
Driver School Candidate

all brand new speakers not blow and i was looking for the wires to hook up my sub i cannot find where they are
Old 01-11-10, 10:30 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dleadlexus

i got a 91 ls and and i had to put in all new speakers and head unit for this car it still has the 6 disc cd changer in the back but i dont think its hooked up and i cant find the wires to hook up the sub so i rigged it from the front of the head to one of the back speakers and when i plug in that amp on the side it sounds bad and distorted when the bass hits
Ok. I get what you're saying now. How did you rig the wires? You just hooked two wires to one of the rear channels and then tried to piggy that to power the audio input to the aftermarket subwoofer? Or did you retain the original factory subwoofer?

If you swapped for a new headunit, there is no harness that incorporates the factory wiring. You will lose control of the 6 disc CD changer. What you can do is what I did. I removed my CD changer (sold it), and I used the existing wires to convert them to RCA and power for a small aftermarket amplifier. I have the factory 8" subwoofer and it hits nicely.
Old 01-12-10, 04:49 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

^^^ i remember seeing on ebay a aftermarket head unit trim kit that came with a harness that incorperated the stock sub. of course when i looked for it just now i could find it again lol i dont know how good it works or if it works at all caz i didnt buy it but i know its out there
Old 01-12-10, 09:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

beatsonic japan's harnesses are the only ones that do that.
Old 01-19-10, 06:16 PM
Chuboom
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone fixed this problem? I am not sure about using the wires from the cd changer will work? Did it work for you dleadlexus?
Old 01-26-10, 11:33 PM
Chuboom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by avalon42
Ok. I get what you're saying now. How did you rig the wires? You just hooked two wires to one of the rear channels and then tried to piggy that to power the audio input to the aftermarket subwoofer? Or did you retain the original factory subwoofer?

If you swapped for a new headunit, there is no harness that incorporates the factory wiring. You will lose control of the 6 disc CD changer. What you can do is what I did. I removed my CD changer (sold it), and I used the existing wires to convert them to RCA and power for a small aftermarket amplifier. I have the factory 8" subwoofer and it hits nicely.
Can you post a tutorial how to do this exactly with pics please! Im a newbie...
Old 01-27-10, 08:57 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuboom
Can you post a tutorial how to do this exactly with pics please! Im a newbie...
Read how to convert wire to RCA:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4885770_conv...rca-plugs.html

Basically, you're just taking the existing wiring from the CD changer and using it as speaker/power wire. I know this is the worst setup on CL but I am very lazy when it comes to audio work.

Look at the CD changer harness in the front and the harness in the back of the trunk. Only certain colors make it to the back. You will need pos/neg lead for each RCA plug, plus you will need the remote amp signal wire and power. Ground wire can go anywhere.
Old 01-27-10, 05:53 PM
Chuboom
Driver School Candidate

lol alright thanks for the help man... but honestly i dont have a clue =P but if you can post up some pics that would be awesome cause i need a picture tutorial =P like which wires and where and how to put it in =P thanks!