LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just drove the car and parked and then try to go somewhere and the car wont start :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-10, 08:49 PM
sherlock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just drove the car and parked and then try to go somewhere and the car wont start :(

It is very cold here in chicago, , I went out to get something and then had to go again and the car will not start. IT makes a single click noise but no crank noise, I think the battery is fine, seems like it could be the starter? I do have a remote start on the car and the mileage is about 128k and it is 1992 model LS400. When the weather gets cold it usually takes two remote trys to start the car, when the weather is warm it would do it in one single start. Maybe its the original starter so after 18 years of reliable use it finally might be giving out. Before I spend the money I wanted to get some input from all the smart guys here. ONce again it does not crank just a single click noise happens or a knock noise coming from the engine compartment. But does not make that cranking noise when I turn the key, what do you guys think?
Old 01-11-10, 09:52 PM
Banshee365
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Don't count the battery out just yet. If you have a 1/4" drive 10mm socket with extension take your battery out and have it tested at least. Try to start your car with your headlights on and if they dim alot when you hear the click you may want to start suspecting the battery. The starter contactor, however, is a somewhat common part that goes bad and is replacable without buying a totally new starter. Some would rather just put a new starter in with all of the work involved in getting to it in th first place though.
Old 01-11-10, 10:08 PM
ClutchOne
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy FYL = For Your Lose

Yes -Its your Starter

But Dont Worry,

I herd some Guys Did it in Under an Hour ...

http://jalopnik.com/5068112/advances...oval-challenge

Last edited by ClutchOne; 01-11-10 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 10:32 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Check, clean, and tighten your battery terminals, check your battery at any auto store for cold cranking amps/charge, and if that all fails, it's your starter.
Old 01-11-10, 11:24 PM
nuron
Driver School Candidate

Single click is starter contacts getting stuck from heat. Multiple clicks would be dead battery. People usually hit the starter with something to loosen it. The contacts are pretty easy to replace, there's a bunch of guides online with other Toyotas.
Old 01-12-10, 12:50 AM
sherlock
Driver School Candidate

Default how do I hit the starter? IS it something I Can

do that is visible? ANYone can give me a direction on how to hit it? I want to try all options first before buying a new starter. THe battery I will do today, I have a recharger at home. Can someone link me to a picture or something of the engine bay so I know where it is? Unfortunately the car is outside and there is much snow so I want to just start it somehow to get it inside the garage than I can perform better inspection. I saw a aftermarket starter on ebay for 60bucks . By the way these are the best two cars I have ever owned I have two lexus LS400, one is a 1990 and this one is 1992 both have about 128k miles. ANd both were bought from original owners. NEver crashed or painted original.
Old 01-12-10, 12:55 AM
sherlock
Driver School Candidate

Default by the way I do not know if this has anything to do with it

but I have a small powersteering leak, underneath the pump and have noticed it fly backwards and soak the under carriage, not too much but little. I have been meaning to get it fixed but I am short on cash at the moment. WOULD that have anything to do with the starter considering it is on the same side?
Old 01-12-10, 04:32 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

i had the same problem, car would start fine, i would turn it off and for some reason i would only get a click out of of the starter. it was very unpredictable. luckaly it wasnt the starter it was the pos terminal on the battery. bought a new terminal and everything was fine again.

like avalon42 said, go thrugh everything, when u get the car running, get a volt meater and c how many volts the alrinator is putting out, also let the car sit overnight or for 24 hours and check the battery again to c if its holding charge.
Old 01-12-10, 04:53 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nuron
..... People usually hit the starter with something to loosen it.....
Not gonna work. Starter is under the intake.
Old 01-12-10, 05:01 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nuron
Single click is starter contacts getting stuck from heat. Multiple clicks would be dead battery. People usually hit the starter with something to loosen it. The contacts are pretty easy to replace, there's a bunch of guides online with other Toyotas.
Can't just "hit" the starter with something as it is buried UNDER the intake manifold of the car. Is pretty much the reason why people just replace them b/c they are so hard to get to in the first place. Entire top end has to come off just to get to it.

My 92 does the 1 click with no crank deak every so often. Check the positive connection of your battery and tighten.

I herd some Guys Did it in Under an Hour ...
4 guys,,, amateur racing team,,, 1 hour just to get the starter removed,,,,once thet found out where it was located.

Last edited by trukn1; 01-12-10 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 08:32 AM
sherlock
Driver School Candidate

Default anyone live near chicago land area up north?

I have a feeling it will cost me 25% of the value of the car value just get the starter put in ANY mechanics here work out the house or something on the side? for extra money? how much would this cost me at a shop to install?
Old 01-12-10, 08:47 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cost me $700 CDN incl. parts & labor & 1 year warranty on starter.
Old 01-12-10, 04:01 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will need to replace my alternator as well...
Where would be the best place online to purchase the alternator (price/quality wise)? Also, anyone has luck w/ ebay alternators?

Mark

Last edited by lowKut; 01-12-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-12-10, 10:42 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't assume it's the starter just yet, try the steps here before going after the starter:

http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html

However, mine started acting up when it got cooler, but no where as cold as you. I ended up replacing just the starter solenoid contacts MYSELF. Find my posts in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-progress.html
Old 01-13-10, 04:31 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my alternator tested at AutoZone a few weeks back and it came back pass, but FAIL DIODES. Also, the voltage reading was in the 12.
Anyone have any idea on the diodes? Should I just go ahead and replace the alternator or is there something else I should check for?

Quick Reply: Just drove the car and parked and then try to go somewhere and the car wont start :(