LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ps fluid question (type)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 09:31 AM
lexondubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ps fluid question (type)

Ive read somewhere that im supposed to use atf in the ps system why? what kind ? whats wrong with normal ps fluid ? im so confused lol i want to plug that stupid valve that causes my huff on startup but confused on what 2 put in for fluid !
Old 01-07-10, 10:07 AM
toxictv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Automatic transmission fluid is called for in the manual. Dexron II / III or Mercon will work.
Old 01-07-10, 10:12 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go get a bottle of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and make sure on the back it says Toyota IV. What’s 2 or 3 dollars when you can put Synthetic in your PS. Once the weather warms I will put it in both my trans and PS. I use a turkey baster to suck fluid out and then refill. Maybe not the best practice but it works and over a while you have new Syn fluid. I do the same for my Transmissions. Drain out the 2 quarts and put 2 new Syn ATF in.
Old 01-07-10, 11:03 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 7schulz
Go get a bottle of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and make sure on the back it says Toyota IV. What’s 2 or 3 dollars when you can put Synthetic in your PS. Once the weather warms I will put it in both my trans and PS. I use a turkey baster to suck fluid out and then refill. Maybe not the best practice but it works and over a while you have new Syn fluid. I do the same for my Transmissions. Drain out the 2 quarts and put 2 new Syn ATF in.

no, you DONT want to put t-iv in your power steering system. it asks for DIII/Mercon spec fluid, use that. Afaik there's no mobil1 atf that meets both DIII/mercon AND toyota T-iv fluid specs, but if there is, it's the diii/mercon part that you really need to concern yourself with.
Old 01-07-10, 11:03 AM
3UZFTE

The turkey baster is a great idea, and has worked many of times. I use Dex/Merc for my PS fluid, as I used to use generic PS fluid cause that's what we had, and it works, but Dex/Merc is cheaper and is more abundant. Either or, pretty much anything that is a lubricant will work.
Old 01-07-10, 11:15 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Pure please clarify
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx
???????
The synthetic base oil enables excellent performance even in the severest of operating conditions. It offers outstanding gear shifting and power transfer performance versus conventional ATF fluids. The inherently high viscosity index and stability of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF help protect against thermal breakdown at high operating temperatures, while still providing outstanding performance at very low ambient temperatures.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF combines high-performance synthetic hydrocarbon base oils and a superior balanced additive system to provide significantly higher levels of performance above conventional fluids. This unique, advanced technology provides long drain capability, excellent friction retention, and low-temperature fluidity. Further, it helps to improve overall transmission durability and cleanliness. Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is also compatible with conventional ATFs.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is formulated for use in most North American, European and Asian vehicles.

Approved for Allison C-4 applications

Exceeds JASO 1-A performance standard

Also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements:
Audi G 052 025-A2, G 052 162-A1
BMW LA2634
Esso LT 71141
ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, N402
Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V, MERCON LV
All 2005 and earlier GM vehicles**
Honda ATF-Z1*
Hyundai SP-II, SP-III
Idemitsu K17
JWS 3309
Kia SP-II, SP-III
MAN 339F, V1, V2, Z1, Z2, Z3
Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
Mercedes-Benz 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
Subaru ATF
Toyota T-III, T-IV
Voith 55.6335.XX (G607, G1363)
Volvo 97340
ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 09, 14A, 14B, 16L, 17C
* Not recommend for CVT applications, Mercon® SP, Ford Type F
** Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GM vehicles and improved performance in 2005 and earlier vehicles, wherever DEXRON is specified
Old 01-07-10, 11:27 AM
3UZFTE

I know your getting this from Mobil1, and I am sure it works ok in there, as I am heard a few people running Mobil1 ATF in their 340/650 trannys... It just always scares me when some company, eventhough its Mobil1, when they say our fluid meets the needs of... Audi, BMW, Toyota, Ford, GM, Subaru, Mishubishi, M-Benz, Honda, Kia.... etc... I think it's safe to say every company uses different materials and fluids and friction modifiers to get the tranny to work/move, lubricate and protect, therefore each fluid will be slightly different from the next. Can you take Volvo tranny fluid and put it in my Lexus, yes. Will it work, yes. Will it make it run as 100% and last forever, no. I think it's safe to say Mobil1 did their research, but I think it's like coolant. Yes the coolant company says it works in every make/model and every material like aluminum, cooper, brass, etc., but... I think it would be safer to say I would use what the comapny who made the parts work on the vehicle, and I would see what they recommend. Sorry if this is a rant, but I think it's safe to say that yes you can use these fluids, but if you concerned about life and longevity should be considered, but shiiiit this is power steering fluid, all it needs is lubrication, there is not metal on metal contact or anything, so it's not like it's build up massive heat, just a little bit from the pump pressurizing the fluid.... I hope this makes sense, and please don't take this as I am a know it all, I am just trying to shed some light on with my thoughts and theories.
Old 01-07-10, 11:36 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

Usually a Synthetic is better then standard dino oil. Whether it be PS AT or Motor. When the car was built Syn wasn't available but I would be pretty sure that Syn makes the parts last longer and has less wear and break down over time. I am sure no expert on these cars but I do work in the automotive industry. If you want the best Syn AT fluid get Castrol TranSynd. But it will cost you, it is like liquid gold.

Last edited by 7schulz; 01-08-10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 06:49 PM
lexondubs
Rookie

Wow a mixed group of awnsers is it more less a what i use kinda deal or what? i just dont want to screw things up as im sure the previous owner (my buddy) used just generic poewer steering fluid but i want to do it right so what now ? lol
Old 01-07-10, 06:53 PM
7schulz
Pole Position

You can't go wrong with what the owners manual says. I think Syn is better.

Last edited by 7schulz; 01-20-10 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 06:57 PM
lexondubs
Rookie

Originally Posted by 7schulz
You can't go wrong with what the owners manual says. I think Syn is better.
I agree but the closest dealer to me is like a 2 hour minimul drive 1 way just to get some fluid seems crazy ill prolly use synthetic like i usually do jsut weird that it askes for tranny fluid not powersteering fluid
Old 01-07-10, 07:25 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you look on the cover/cap of the power steering pump, iirc it specifies mercon/dexron ATF. As long as you use something that meets that spec, I think you'll be okay. I'm using the Mobil1 Synthetic ATF in my PS pump as well. It seems to work just fine. I've fully flushed mine and cleaned the solenoid filter. I'm on the original rack and pump on my 91LS.
Old 01-07-10, 08:38 PM
lexondubs
Rookie

Thanks guys im gonan go the mobil 1 route ive used the oil and been impressed so im gonna go that route again will it say on the bottle that its ok for use with toyota/lexus or i have to go wit hthe fluid type ? my cap says nothing on it at all :S
Old 01-08-10, 05:34 AM
7schulz
Pole Position

I grabbed two bottles of Mobil 1 ATF the other day and one said T-III and T-IV and the other did not. If you look at the back it should read very similar to what I posed up in this thread earlier. IIRC the correct said multi-vehicle or domestic and foreign vehicles whereas the other bottle said something like GM and Chrysler... So I put the one back and got two of the correct kind.
Old 01-08-10, 09:09 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just use the OEM Toyota D/M fluid, can't go wrong.

Quick Reply: ps fluid question (type)