LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New to forum

Old 04-25-14, 07:42 AM
BishopCoop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum

I bought a 1991 LS400 with 275k on it. Everything is in remarkable working order and I got it cheap. When I test drove it, I could tell that the ball joints and tie rods were likely the source of poor alignment and chattering wheel, which I knew I could fix on my own. I also took a gamble on the transmission, because it wasn't shifting properly in Drive, but would shift perfectly if I assisted it. Basically, the person I bought it from wasn't mechanically inclined so the repairs would have cost them a fortune.

So far, I've done the ball joints and inner/outer tie rods and alignment. Made a huge difference but I wasn't able to get the steering damper bracket off. So, I just zip tied it up and the chatter wasn't bad. But then I put one size wider tires on the front and I can't stand the chatter. Has anyone experienced something like this?

I ran my codes and got
Trans 63 - Open or short circuit in no. 2 solenoid valve - I will find out if my shifting issue is here...I suspect it is.
Engine 52 - No. 1 knock sensor signal

I haven't put a lot of time into reading the forum yet, but I suspect I will be. It's my intention to give this car to my son in 6-8 months when he turns 16, so I'd be making sure it's road worthy. I do a lot of work myself, so if there are some online stores you folks recommend, I'll be visiting them.

Anyway, I thought it would be proper to say hello and thanks for the information resources!

Thanks!
Old 04-25-14, 08:04 AM
SPRIGGAN13
Driver School Candidate

Welcome aboard...
Old 04-25-14, 08:25 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Welcome, before you go too far with that tranny solenoid you might want to drop the pan and check the filter. Change it and put new oil in there. I'm pretty sure if you check the oil from the dipstick it's brown after so many miles. After that do a couple more drain and refills of the pan to get all the old oil out of there. It's not recommended to flush the system on such a high mileage car because it MIGHT put too much stress on it. I have flushed mine using the method of disconnected the lines from the radiator but I had half the miles that you have when I did it.

The knock sensor is a different story since I believe you have to remove the whole top end to get to them. Not a terribly hard job but not for the faint of heart.
Old 04-25-14, 09:19 AM
BishopCoop
Driver School Candidate

I already did the flush from the supply hose. I was nervous about it, but the fluid so so nasty I had to take the risk. Luckily, it didn't cause additional problems or improve shifting.

Any idea if the knock sensor is critical or important?

Thanks for the welcome aboard!