LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

not so happy holidays!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 05:58 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy not so happy holidays!!!

So my girl and I were headed out to do some Christmas shopping after we went to check out my buddies new barber shop. As we headed towards the freeway we were at a stop light behind a ES300. The gentleman had his blinker on to make a right turn and he pulled up to make his turn and i look down and step om the gas thinking that he was making the turn. Well it turned out that he pulled up to check traffic and he stopped and then BAM!!! I hit the guy. All I saw was the folding of my hood. The whole front end of my car was crunched headlight, hood, radiator, and fans were smashed and that guys car just suffered surface damage on the bumper. What really gets me upset about this whole thing is that i just got my car out of the shop where i had a new radiator put in.

I do have a question for people that may read this. A few days ago I saw that someone had made a radiator that was all metal. Has anyoone else seen this radiator? thanks for any info that you may provide.
Old 12-19-09, 06:34 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

radiators are generally...all metal. what yr is ur car?
Old 12-19-09, 08:10 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

im sorry for the lack of info on the car i have a 92 ls400. i was told that the radiator in this car was plastic. was i informed wrong?
Old 12-19-09, 08:50 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

mine was alum lol.
Old 12-19-09, 09:18 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Radiator's are never plastic.
2. How fast were you going to cause that much damage to your car. Takes alot to significantly damage a first gen LS.

3. NEVER,EVER let the person who informed you that the radiator is plastic,,work on your car.
Old 12-19-09, 10:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

well most small cars have radiators with plastic end tanks.....
Old 12-19-09, 10:18 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
well most small cars have radiators with plastic end tanks.....
End tanks, yes,,,,but the entire radiator, just aint got that happening.
Old 12-19-09, 10:18 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

i must have been going about 10mph if that. we were at at a red light when t happen and must have traveled about ten to 15 ft. it seemed odd to me also to see that much damage on my car. As far as the mechanic that told me that the radiator was plastic, he works fora company here in texas that is well known for makeing automotive repairs. i take my car there because my girl works for their corprate office and gets a good discount in things of this nature.
Old 12-19-09, 10:48 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dsabc2867
So my girl and I were headed out to do some Christmas shopping after we went to check out my buddies new barber shop. As we headed towards the freeway we were at a stop light behind a ES300. The gentleman had his blinker on to make a right turn and he pulled up to make his turn and i look down and step om the gas thinking that he was making the turn. Well it turned out that he pulled up to check traffic and he stopped and then BAM!!! I hit the guy. All I saw was the folding of my hood. The whole front end of my car was crunched headlight, hood, radiator, and fans were smashed and that guys car just suffered surface damage on the bumper. What really gets me upset about this whole thing is that i just got my car out of the shop where i had a new radiator put in.

I do have a question for people that may read this. A few days ago I saw that someone had made a radiator that was all metal. Has anyoone else seen this radiator? thanks for any info that you may provide.
i must have been going about 10mph if that. we were at at a red light when t happen and must have traveled about ten to 15 ft. it seemed odd to me also to see that much damage on my car. As far as the mechanic that told me that the radiator was plastic, he works fora company here in texas that is well known for makeing automotive repairs. i take my car there because my girl works for their corprate office and gets a good discount in things of this nature.
Boulder-dash. You may have been going 10mph initially BEFORE you hit the gas pedal. At 10mph it is an impossibility to cause the amount of damage you stated.

End tanks on the aftermarket may be plastic for the radiator.
Old 12-19-09, 11:47 PM
toxictv
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you're okay. Cars can be fixed/replaced.
Old 12-20-09, 11:07 AM
dsabc2867
Rookie

if i had the pics to post i would show you. i was in the accident i know what happened and i know how fast i was going more or less and approximatly how far i was away from the guy. so im here to tell you that yes it is possible.
Old 12-20-09, 11:11 AM
dsabc2867
Rookie

thanks for wishing me well toxictv. and yes your right cars can be fixed. i think im gonna do this fix solo. ill have to search junk yards for the parts that i will need. the hood is the one thing that i think ill have problems finding. i may have misunderstood the mechanic when he siad that the radiator was plastic. so thanks to everyone that cleared that up for me.
Old 12-20-09, 11:17 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if i had the pics to post i would show you. i was in the accident i know what happened and i know how fast i was going more or less and approximatly how far i was away from the guy. so im here to tell you that yes it is possible.
You may see things differently being the operator of one vehicle (subjective), but there are a variety of factors that come into play, especially during the accident reconstruction process (yes, it is scientific and based on physics). Id like to see a copy of the accident reconstruction report from the po-po (objective) because I refuse to believe that our cars are that brittle, unless you had a previous cave-in with your existing core support that was repaired very shoddy.
Old 12-20-09, 11:36 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I think your perseption might be a little OFF on the speed. No way would a 10 MPH bump cause anywhere near that damage. Not unless he was backing up at about 40MPH. I would also like to see the accident reconstruction file. But they don't reconstruct unless there are injuries. Did the other guy claim some whiplash? Anyway, good that you and the wife are OK.
Old 12-20-09, 06:11 PM
dsabc2867
Rookie

that may be the case also. i did purchase the car from a young couple that wanted the money to purchase a new truck. i never did check to see if the car had been in any kind of accident before. There were no complaints from the gentleman that i hit about injury. But he was also surprised at the amount of damage that i had sustained. pictures will be posted asap. so that you all can see this.

Quick Reply: not so happy holidays!!!