LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake Pad Selection

Old 12-15-09, 08:50 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Pad Selection

Hi,

I wanted to get some info on what people are running for brake pads and rotors and how satisfied they are with their setup. I've been researching different pads from different manufacturers (Axxis, Brembo, EBC, Hawk, OEM, etc) and experience seems to vary depending on the vehicle they're installed on. Any opinions on your setup are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 12-15-09, 09:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i love the AXXXIS ultimate ceramics i have but apparently they stopped making them

EBC Red Stuff for me from now on.

^for 2LS brakes only. Akebono ProAct Ceramic also do well if you're a more conservative driver.
Old 12-15-09, 09:57 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have EBC RedStuffs on mine and they work great. They were hella dusty at first, but have since been fine. I could tell a significant improvement over stock pads. Though I had them on all four corners, the rears wore out faster than the fronts, so I just have NAPA ceramic pads on the rears while retaining the RedStuffs up front (This is an issue with my calipers, not the pads). They aren't that expensive, either.
Old 12-16-09, 11:06 AM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have AutoZone lifetime warranty brake pads. I just bring them in once they are worn out and give me new ones free of charge.
Old 12-16-09, 04:31 PM
renato902
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have EBC Greenstuff which are great, but for a big, heavy cars like ours, your best bet is to go for the EBC Redstuff. For me it's the same deal as Mugen_1, they were quite dusty at first, but a good rince about once a week and within a month, they stop being dusty and still stop super well My pads are mated with EBC OEM discs which are also very good. I also heard that Axxis pads were good, but apparently they aren't being produced anymore I can definitely recommend EBC to you, they make nice quality stuff at reasonable prices
Old 12-17-09, 11:51 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Wagner Thermo Quiet Ceramic (lifetime warranty) for me.
Old 12-17-09, 02:54 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

What do you guys think of the OEM pads?

Thanks
Old 12-17-09, 07:03 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Nothing wrong with OEM IMO only cost. I noticed less dust with Thermo Quiet pads. Also I like the price. I paid for the first set. However, each subsequent set has been free

I imagine the EBC pads offer higher performance over OEM and Thermo Quiet pads. However, I never tried them.
Old 12-17-09, 07:49 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

I think I might try a set of OEM Pads. I have EBC Reds on now and I think they're okay but not great. Most of you guys have 4 piston setups and I'm wondering if the 4 piston is a better setup for the EBC Reds than my 2 piston / 1st gen. Carson has both front & rear OEM pads for about $63 per set including shims and springs. Does anyone know if the Toyota/Lexus OEM pads are made by Sumitomo, or are they just another aftermarket supplier of pads?

Thanks
Old 12-17-09, 07:58 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

One time payment OOOOONNNNNNNLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY!!!
Old 12-17-09, 08:15 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol for real, me and Garage were talkin about it...its like $5X for a WHOLE SET....so $5X of pads for the rest of your ownership on the LS..thats pretty damn good.

the 2LS pads were EVEN CHEAPER!
Old 12-17-09, 11:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

yeahh sorry, i dont cheap out on brakes

i dont mind spending $$ since they've saved my *** from a bajillion socal idiots (as well as a couple of my own mistakes) in the past couple years. next set is most likely EBC Red Stuff.
Old 12-18-09, 05:05 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EBC red. I put htem on everything i own. I also just bought some ebay drilled rotors for the LS. haven't installed them yet but i'll post a review when i do.
I had a full set of ebay drilled rotors on a WRX and they worked great for 40k miles.
Old 12-19-09, 05:54 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to try Hawk HPS on the front and OEM on the rear. Does anyone have experience with the Hawk HPS product (Ferro-Carbon)?
Old 12-19-09, 01:08 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

I know what you are saying and I agree that there are good brand name brakes out there. These lifetime warranty brake pads do meet or exceed the standards or they cannot be sold.

It's all about preference on the brake performance.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
yeahh sorry, i dont cheap out on brakes

i dont mind spending $$ since they've saved my *** from a bajillion socal idiots (as well as a couple of my own mistakes) in the past couple years. next set is most likely EBC Red Stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pad Selection