LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just painted my front seats!

Old 12-02-09, 08:20 PM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just painted my front seats!

Hello Everyone!
Not too long time ago i posted my experience with seat swap from passanger to driver side 94 LS Driver seat DIY FIX
Results was alright but I didn't get too excited and searched the web for "how to paint leather seat" and came out with this page FIX .
So I followed the simple instructions and here what i got now...
Attached Thumbnails Just painted my front seats!-dsc02324.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-dsc02326.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-dsc02327.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-dsc02328.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-dsc02329.jpg  

Old 12-02-09, 08:27 PM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

And that's what I came out with...
Attached Thumbnails Just painted my front seats!-dsc02333.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-dsc02334.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-dsc02335.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-dsc02336.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-dsc02337.jpg  

Old 12-02-09, 08:35 PM
20sburning
Driver

Nice DIY! Looks great
Old 12-02-09, 08:41 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow that looks great...any shots in the sun?
Old 12-02-09, 08:43 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great sir. Also, checkout this option. rockymountainsheepskin.com! I got these and they protect my seats from wear and tear and have used these for 13 years now on each Lexus I owned(5). L.G.N.M
Old 12-02-09, 08:45 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Correct website is, rmsheepskin.com!! L.G.N.M
Old 12-02-09, 08:55 PM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

I will make a few new shots and post em here.
P.s. forget to mention it took me about 3 days and $100 to finish. However the paint smell still exist after a 1 week, small cracks started to show on some parts, but it is definitely was worth of doing! Results are working for me! Thank's everyone for looking!
Old 12-02-09, 09:54 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well done sir, it looks like it was worth the money and the hard work you put in doing that.
Old 12-02-09, 10:23 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm worried about paint transfer on a hot day...how long did you let the stuff cook on the seats before putting them on? Dye vs. paint, I think I'd go dye.

Also, have you ever thought of adding a thin top coat over the leather to seal in the paint?
Old 12-02-09, 10:42 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats cool... Good job man...
Old 12-03-09, 12:37 AM
Rollaboy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very nice. How did you get the color to match? I've searched on the same subject but i dont want to order from the internet and then get a wrong color. you have four cans in your picture. i guess the first one is a cleaner? and the two in the middle are those both some adhessive or what? and then the last one is the color. but like mentioned above, you should also give it a top coat to seal it before giving leather conditioner?

But would be nice if you could give us the color code from the can or something. then its easy to get the right color can. Does the color match 100% ?

And it looks really nice i must say. I'm really looking into doing the same. Its nice to have a old car that is like new :-)
Old 12-03-09, 05:57 AM
GABE_LS400
Rookie

OUCH bad idea, looks good but wont last and the paint will soon crack and possible flack. Why didnt you think before doing this you idiot moron. Dye would have penitrated deep into the pours of the leather and given it a permanent dye. You should have just sprayed your face with this paint and then sanded it down.
Old 12-03-09, 07:17 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the leather dye from this company to redo my steering wheel and front drivers seat. The product is excellent and was extremely easy to use. It also dries very quickly. After a year and a half, my steering wheel still looks brand new. Seat looks great too...

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/AutoColorChart.aspx
Old 12-03-09, 08:34 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usermel
Looks great sir. Also, checkout this option. rockymountainsheepskin.com! I got these and they protect my seats from wear and tear and have used these for 13 years now on each Lexus I owned(5). L.G.N.M
Yeah, the RM sheepskins are great. I got one for the drivers seat because my aftermarket seat heaters crapped out and I was too cheap to fix it.
Old 12-03-09, 04:11 PM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

Hello everyone!
As I promised I took a few more shots today.

Originally Posted by avalon42
I'm worried about paint transfer on a hot day...how long did you let the stuff cook on the seats before putting them on? Dye vs. paint, I think I'd go dye.
Also, have you ever thought of adding a thin top coat over the leather to seal in the paint?
I'm pretty sure that paint would not transfer to your clothing on any weather. It is special designed paint for leather, plus I used a lot of promoter (i guess it works as the primer) to make leather smoother.
The paint that I used is called "SEM Color Coat". I would think that some kind of top coat will be needed but there was nothing about it. I just followed the instructions!

Originally Posted by Rollaboy
Looks very nice. How did you get the color to match? I've searched on the same subject but i dont want to order from the internet and then get a wrong color. you have four cans in your picture. i guess the first one is a cleaner? and the two in the middle are those both some adhessive or what? and then the last one is the color. but like mentioned above, you should also give it a top coat to seal it before giving leather conditioner?
But would be nice if you could give us the color code from the can or something. then its easy to get the right color can. Does the color match 100% ?
And it looks really nice i must say. I'm really looking into doing the same. Its nice to have a old car that is like new :-)
I had the same problem when i was looking in the company color chart. So I ordered Creamy Ivory SEM#17323 in catalog listed as Acura colors. However a week later when I came back from a trip (I'm a commercial fisherman)a discovered that my girlfriend picked up the wrong one!
Those guys in the store RECOMMENDED her different one! She had no idea what she need so she got what those guys sold to her! Instead of Creamy Ivory#17323 she got a SEM Ivory#15853! Anyway! I didn't realize first that it its not the one I ordered and I really didn't have much time for all this I started the project with what I had!
Color came out a little lighter as you can see in the picture but at that point i decided to redo my whole interior! After I put it all together back in the car I could see the difference in color with my arm rest and back seats But at this point I don't know if i wanned to do the rest of my car cause back seats is not that bad at all! I might just do the arm rest it shows some wear on it!

If anyone have more questions fell free to ask!
Attached Thumbnails Just painted my front seats!-ls-seats_12_03_09-013.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-ls-seats_12_03_09-012.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-ls-seats_12_03_09-015.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-ls-seats_12_03_09-016.jpg   Just painted my front seats!-ls-seats_12_03_09-018.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just painted my front seats!